Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 AM

Default can korg nano control be used for VCA-faders?

Simple question, but I am really new in midi controller. I want to buy the korg nano controller for having faders for my VCA's in PT 12.5. I am just not sure, if Avid blocks sth cheap like this to force me buying a Artist console whatever.
I just need quick access to 8 VCA for mute/solo/volume. so the korg nano is perfect for smallest space on my desk and little money to try.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Re: can korg nano control be used for VCA-faders?

Its probably not going to work(you really need something that uses either HUI or Eucon protocol), and if it does, it will still not be very elegant as you really want motorized faders for proper tracking. On a tight budget, the Behringer BCF2000 is okay. A used Avid Artist Mix or Command8 a good choices. Also, the Behringer Xtouch Compact might be worth a look. The new Presonus Faderport8 and 16 look very nice, but if you could live with a single fader, the original Faderport is actually a potent little box(I have one in my setup, alongside an Artist Mix and softube Console 1)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2017, 10:24 AM

I have a friend who uses the nano control for solos and mutes. It should work but would be pretty useless for volume rides. If you have an iPad there is a free Pro Tools that might work for your needs.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:28 AM

Seems to work with PT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNVSpRLhW4 (Minute 6:30)
Transport, mute/solo/rec, faders.

@Dan: I am using the app already for my right hand for softkeys and I want to control solo/mute with my left hand.

Best
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Yeah it would certainly work for you then. Sounds like a good plan.

I would be nice if you could have multiple iPads to have multiple instances of PT Control. I'd love having a dedicated iPad for soft keys.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Hannes View Post
Simple question, but I am really new in midi controller. I want to buy the korg nano controller for having faders for my VCA's in PT 12.5. I am just not sure, if Avid blocks sth cheap like this to force me buying a Artist console whatever.

I just need quick access to 8 VCA for mute/solo/volume. so the korg nano is perfect for smallest space on my desk and little money to try.

It’ll work but like others say, it doesn’t have motorized controls and is only good in a pinch I would say. It’s pretty cool for stage support and little fixes if you’re used to having something with faders for volume and panning. Good for the price !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2017, 01:42 AM

Haha, yeah Dan, me too! That's still the cheapest control surface to me. Softkeys are my go for, so a 2nd instance would bring me faders.
I want to force Avid to insert a "pause" commando into Control- like in KM, you know? Yesterday I tried to combine my fade-style with a alt+tab and spacebar to be faster in choosing the right one. First it worked (amazing), suddenly it failed all the time, still after Eucon/PT/Mac restart. Unfortunately the same with equivalent Eucon presets. Everytime PT has to process a little bit longer, the App fires already the next command.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Doesn't the problem arise when trying to use EUCON (The PT APP) and HUI on the same machine?

I have been told it's one or the other.....

For EXAMPLE I cannot use my ICON with Eucon....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 AM

I assume the nano would still work with a bit of a set up job just like it did back here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=325532

I use an old Remote25 and it still works in 12.8.2 - set up Ptools MMC prefs as slave - peripherals input as "maudio keyboard" and then program your Nano to send the correct MidiCCs from the link above. When it relaunches and says you dont have an maudio keyboard tell it to not to ask again.
Mutes and solos will work but not Pans

Put all your VCAs in a row at the top of the session and they should all go - banks work too. Its not great for music but good for dialogue and sound design for me.

I will have to give it a try alongside Eucon to see if they fight
but tend not use the remote and ipad at the same time

mick

mick