Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Default What exactly are native plugins and do they work on RTAS?

When a plugin is offered as Native or TDM, does Native just cover RTAS, VST etc or do they not work with RTAS?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Re: What exactly are native plugins and do they work on RTAS?

Native means RTAS (PT only). To run VST plugs in PT you need Fxpansion VST to RTAS Adapter.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM

I run PT and RTAS so that's exactly what I needed to find out. Thanks for that.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 AM

Native means they use the your macs processor and TDM means they use DSP chips on the Pro Tools HD cards to process them. For Le you need native RTAS support which some developers still don't offer.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:57 AM

Native plugs, to elaborate, are all plu-ins that do not require dedicated hardware. Pro Tools TDm plug-ins, SSL Duende plug-ins, UAD plug-ins all require some kind of hardware unit or PCI card installed to function because that is where their processing is done. Native plug-ins are all plug-ins that your computer´s internal CPU run. Meaning RTAS AND Wrapped VST`s on Pro Tools, .AU in logic, .vst in cubase, and .dxi in windows. That is also why Pro Tools LE/MP, Logic, Sonar, Cubase and every other daw besides Pro Tools HD are referred to as native, when HD haters and lovers are arguing Native versus DSP
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 04-05-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf View Post
Native plugs, to elaborate, are all plu-ins that do not require dedicated hardware. Pro Tools TDm plug-ins, SSL Duende plug-ins, UAD plug-ins all require some kind of hardware unit or PCI card installed to function because that is where their processing is done. Native plug-ins are all plug-ins that your computer´s internal CPU run. Meaning RTAS AND Wrapped VST`s on Pro Tools, .AU in logic, .vst in cubase, and .dxi in windows. That is also why Pro Tools LE/MP, Logic, Sonar, Cubase and every other daw besides Pro Tools HD are referred to as native, when HD haters and lovers are arguing Native versus DSP
i get it now, thank you.