Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 10-15-2018, 09:39 PM

Default M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R problem

Hi.
I am using Pro Tools 10.3.1 with an M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra 8R. I went to record at another location yesterday and amidst a lot of chaos I think the M-Audio was powered by the wrong adaptor (Laptop adaptor). When I returned home it powered on but nothing came out.
I tried reinstalling the software (twice), also installing the latest driver each time.
All functionality seems fine apart from the loss of output volume. It powers up OK. All inputs seem to be working OK. However, the main output volume needs to be turned right up to 100% to get very little output (usually, around 4 gives loud enough output).
I am always so meticulous that I really have no idea how the power supplies got mixed up. I always pack each adaptor in the case it should be in.
I have seen a similar post on this forum that suggested part of the board may have been fried. If this is the case the cost of repair would suggest a new interface.
Anyone any ideas what this is, or how to rectify?
Ideally, I want to make this one work but if I am stuffed and need a new one what is the general consensus regarding the best 8 input interfaces in a similar price bracket to the Fast track Ultra 8R.
Thanks,
T
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R problem

Don't feel bad I did the same thing with an external hard drive(connected a 19V laptop PSU instead of the 12V drive PSU) and I smelled burning electronics Lucky for me, it only burned the case and the drive was still okay. Since I personally despise most M-Audio hardware, choosing a new interface needs a couple of questions answered:
1-how many IO do you need(and how many microphone preamps)?
2-what exact OS and DAW software?
3-what ports are available on your computer(USB, USB2, USB3, Firewire, Thunderbolt)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 AM

An a sanity check.

How are you listening to the output? What monitors or headphones?

Did you check with headphones? Are they quiet as well?

Make sure the monitor output volume was not accidentally changed when you moved stuff.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I need 8 microphone pre-amps to enable recording a drum kit.
I am using Windows 7 and Pro Tools 10.3.10.
Ports are USB2 (x2) USB3 (x2).

My monitors are KRK Rokit 8. They were not taken with me when I went to record. We were just recording a few drum fills to add to some really rough demos so the sound quality was not so important. I plugged the outputs into a guitar amp whilst we were there. My monitors stayed put. They were not moved, so no change to their levels.

The headphone output seems OK. It could be a bit quieter than previous but I couldn't swear to that.

Cheers,

T