Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Profire 2626 not being recognized by ProTools 7.4cs3

Sounds like you have a defective 2626.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 AM

my thoughts exactly...thats what happens when you buy 1.0 of anything. My buddy is in contact with M-Audio directly to resolve the issue, or return the unit.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Hey MDog-

Could you help us out and throw a line-level signal into any of your 2626's eight TRS inputs on the rear of the interface? What we're chasing is VU levels, and whether-or-not a hot (0VU or higher) signal can be accepted by ProTools MP 7.4 .....

We're trying to validate our 2626's operation - very, very low line-levels out here

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the hijack.
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Hey MDog-

Could you help us out and throw a line-level signal into any of your 2626's eight TRS inputs on the rear of the interface? What we're chasing is VU levels, and whether-or-not a hot (0VU or higher) signal can be accepted by ProTools MP 7.4 .....

We're trying to validate our 2626's operation - very, very low line-levels out here

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the hijack.
Hi,

The input is definately lower. I used a 1k test tone (at "0" VU) from an old Shure FP32 field mixer in to channel 8 of the 2626. Channel 9 is a Presonus Firestation that I have on the ADAT Lightpipe buss.

Here's a pic - screen shot

Hope this helps.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 05-11-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Hi,

The input is definately lower. I used a 1k test tone (at "0" VU) from an old Shure FP32 field mixer in to channel 8 of the 2626. Channel 9 is a Presonus Firestation that I have on the ADAT Lightpipe buss.

Here's a pic - screen shot

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much Mdog! One more set of questions..... What was ProTools reporting on it's VUs? Could you even get your analog mixer's gain up high enough to overload a channel within ProTools?
At PlethoraTone:
Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

GREAT NEWS - Just had an outstanding series of calls from Calvin Banks of M-Audio.... what a class act.

The ProFire 2626 as a product line is 100% A-OK - they just verified the TRS signal path in-house and there's no issues whatsoever with the line-level inputs!!

My unit's just malfunctioning - but being replaced as I type

For anyone who's interested, I'll post the replacement's results later this week.
At PlethoraTone:
Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 AM

This is an identical post from another thread, but I wanted to be sure and follow-up....

OK - Success - here's the whole skinny:

First and foremost, there is nothing wrong with the 2626 - the guys at M-Audio tech support have gone out-of-their-way to follow through with this testing.

A sine wave, by it's very nature, does not have any transients whatsoever..... therefore, when measuring a 1K +4dBu sine wave signal into many "classic" analog VU meters, this will result in a 0 reading. These meters present the average level of the input signal.

The identical signal, (again, a sine wave - no transients [ie, peaks], right?) injected into PT yields -18dbfs, as the channel's segment meters are peak meters. The peak meter has absolutely no transient peak material to detect.

Now taking the identical signal path, we'll use program material - say a bass guitar - and adjust it for a nominal 0 level on a "classic" analog VU meter. When this signal is inputted into PT, the PT channel meter will display something fairly close to the analog meter's level.

There is no issue with the metering levels: the difference in the tests is the program material's transients. Sine waves have no spiked transients, and in this example, our bass guitar certainly does.

And the above principles held true on every system we tested, including an fully-loaded HD3 rig. The HD3's headroom values were virtually identical to the ProFire 2626's. This speaks quite highly to the 2626's design.

While various metering plugs (Bomb Factory, Waves, etc) may *look* like an analog VU meter, the user must select average, rms, peak, etc. in order to change the response style/curve of the meter. Regardless of the interface (how the meter *looks*), do recognize that the meter's scale determines its' ballistics.

The other intermittent issues with our 2626 was almost assuredly caused by it being man-handled by the carrier and not a reflection of the build-quality. M-Audio's done well by me.

As much time as I've spent with ours chasing this down, I can truly say that the 2626 feels solid & very well built. The software's been completely stable, too.

The other intermittent issue with our 2626 was almost assuredly caused by it being man-handled by the carrier and not a reflection of the build-quality. M-Audio's done well by me.

Hope this helps - I'm sold .... and very happy.

Now - FINALLY - back to the recording
At PlethoraTone: