Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 PM

Default Sound output

I'm a new digi001/ProTools user working with voice-overs only (no music). Right now, I can only hear playback over my headphones...I can't get my computer's speakers to playback anything. Is there a way to get playback with Protools 5.1 LE through my computer speakers?

Also, for a total novice, any reading material you might suggest?

Thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2002, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Sound output

The only way you have to hear anything out of your computer speakers is to hook them up to the main outputs of the 001 breakout box (you may need an adaptor, since PC speakers have an unbalanced minijack-type connector, while 001 has standard 1/4" TRS jacks), though it's not the best monitoring system in my opinion; if you can, get a pair of dedicated nearfield monitors (there's lots of them even in the low bucks range if you don't want to spend lots of money), so you'll have an appropriate and more accurate listening medium, and you could use (if you really want to) the PC speakers just to compare your work on another set of speakers.
On the tutorial side, you could try the Franz's book on Pro Tools, which seems to be good for beginners, and just about any pro audio magazine or book you can find (Mix, EQ, Electronic Musician, etc..) and don't forget to surf the net for sites like recording.org or prorec.com , but there's loads of others.

Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2002, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Sound output

Here's another way:

If you have digital speakers as your computer speakers, connect them to the S/PDIF coax output, make sure S/PDIF mirroring is enabled in Pro Tools. They make a good 'consumer reference' monitor or low-level edit monitor later, too!

Optionally,
If you're using a PC, you can go to Settings> Control Panel> Sounds and Multimedia> Audio and choose the Digidesign Digi 001 chan. 1 & 2 as the preferred device. This way all your computer's sound will come through the computer speakers. (For DVD's and Media Player, for example.)
I've read in posts that the 001 should not be set as the preferred device, but it's never caused me any problems.

While you're in that window be sure your sounds scheme is set for 'no sounds'.

The Pro Tools Reference Guide is a must if you haven't waded through it already.

David Franz's Producing In The Home Studio With Pro Tools may be helpful, but concentrates a lot on other aspects of the recording process outside of Pro Tools.