Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Default Motif Es 7 to work as a midi controller In Pro Tools

Mac-10.6.4

Pro Tools 8.0.4

Reason 5

Yamaha Motif ES 7

I’m trying to use my Yamaha Motif es7 as a controller(it worked before and I honestly dont know what I'm leaving out)but I recently had to reset my whole mac os to the factory settings & I have done everything for it to work as a controller so it can be able to send midi but when I press record on pro tools to record something from reason 5,I get no midi,when I try to record the internal sounds I get sound,no midi.

I have been trying to figure this out for about the past 2 days I really need help I am very much appreciative for any help anybody gives me.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Motif Es 7 to work as a midi controller In Pro Tools

Well, the easiest way would be to hook the Motif up by usb to your mac (you would use "to host" on the back of the motif). Then go into audiomidi setup (under "utilities") and click "rescan midi devices". It will then recognize your Motif from now on. And it will work in Protools, or Garageband, or any standalone synth you have on the Mac.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Well, the easiest way would be to hook the Motif up by usb to your mac (you would use "to host" on the back of the motif). Then go into audiomidi setup (under "utilities") and click "rescan midi devices". It will then recognize your Motif from now on. And it will work in Protools, or Garageband, or any standalone synth you have on the Mac.
I have it connected directly to my mac to use it as a controller & instrument cables to use the internal sounds.I have already tried your method & its still the same I have the pro-53 & it doesnt work as a standalone either I don't understand why.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 AM

2 questions:

Does the motif show up in AudioMidi setup and if so how does it show up?

Are your problems specifically with using Reason and ProTools at the same time, or can't you even use it to simply record Midi into ProTools?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
2 questions:

Does the motif show up in AudioMidi setup and if so how does it show up?

Are your problems specifically with using Reason and ProTools at the same time, or can't you even use it to simply record Midi into ProTools?
Yes it does show up,it shows up as a keyboard & as another device that shows ports. I route the motif on audio midi setup to the mbox in & out & also to the motif port 1 in & out(this is the same way I had it before me reseting my whole os.

Sorry for not specifying, I use pro tools in rewire.

I can't record midi what so ever. 1 way I figure its a midi problem is because I can't record midi & also when I go into reason & search for my keyboard by pressing a key it does not work nothing shows up.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexablcknesekid View Post
Yes it does show up,it shows up as a keyboard & as another device that shows ports. I route the motif on audio midi setup to the mbox in & out & also to the motif port 1 in & out(this is the same way I had it before me reseting my whole os.

Sorry for not specifying, I use pro tools in rewire.

I can't record midi what so ever. 1 way I figure its a midi problem is because I can't record midi & also when I go into reason & search for my keyboard by pressing a key it does not work nothing shows up.
You do not route the motif to anything in Audio Midi Setup. When you connect things with virtual "cables" in AMS, they are supposed to represent actual cables in the hardware world. You're not connecting the Motif to the Mbox with real MIDI cables, right? You can test things in AMS by turning on "Test Studio". If you click on things, like the motif, it should cause them to play some random notes. if you play some notes on the motif, it should cause the mac to make some noises and the ports being used will light up.

Since it shows up in AMS, that's all it needs. You just need to figure out which ports you are connecting within ProTools. The easiest way to work is to just leave your MIDI inputs in ProTools set to "All".

The other thing is that Reason can specify a "master keyboard" or something like that. If I remember correctly, you need to turn that off. When you are using Reason rewired with ProTools, you are sending MIDI through ProTools to Reason. So you don't want to confuse things by trying to send MIDI directly into Reason. (At least that's how I understand it) You should also be recording the MIDI in ProTools also..
Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
You do not route the motif to anything in Audio Midi Setup. When you connect things with virtual "cables" in AMS, they are supposed to represent actual cables in the hardware world. You're not connecting the Motif to the Mbox with real MIDI cables, right? You can test things in AMS by turning on "Test Studio". If you click on things, like the motif, it should cause them to play some random notes. if you play some notes on the motif, it should cause the mac to make some noises and the ports being used will light up.

Since it shows up in AMS, that's all it needs. You just need to figure out which ports you are connecting within ProTools. The easiest way to work is to just leave your MIDI inputs in ProTools set to "All".

The other thing is that Reason can specify a "master keyboard" or something like that. If I remember correctly, you need to turn that off. When you are using Reason rewired with ProTools, you are sending MIDI through ProTools to Reason. So you don't want to confuse things by trying to send MIDI directly into Reason. (At least that's how I understand it) You should also be recording the MIDI in ProTools also..

You know what man your my savior. Thank You so much you just don't know how happy you just made my day,I have been dealing with this problem for like 2-3 days already and I finally got stuff working.
Thank You man.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexablcknesekid View Post
You know what man your my savior. Thank You so much you just don't know how happy you just made my day,I have been dealing with this problem for like 2-3 days already and I finally got stuff working.
Thank You man.
I'm glad the fix was a simple one..