Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Default HD Native Thunderbolt on new Mac Pro?

Is anyone using HD native on a new(2013) Mac Pro, these Macs are unapproved. Specifically I'm looking to use PT10 HD because I'm not ready to pay the upgrade costs of moving to AAX, but I'd like to hear from PT11 users as well. Need to move to a new Mac and out of my very old PCI-x TDM system but not wanting to wait another year before AVID approves this Mac. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Re: HD Native Thunderbolt on new Mac Pro?

I would like to know as well
Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 PM

It's working great. Here's one thread about it, and others have posted here and on Gearsutz as well:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351054

Regarding PT10, it is not supported with Mavericks, and the new Mac Pros come with Mavericks. So I don't know of any way that you can run it. It must be PT11.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 PM

It works just fine on a mavericks.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 AM

This is a quick makeitcrash test that I've done with the new mac pro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3lGsA-YtQ

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Regarding PT10, it is not supported with Mavericks, and the new Mac Pros come with Mavericks. So I don't know of any way that you can run it. It must be PT11.
+1
If I remember right there is some special code in Mavericks for nMP (source: internet, so not sure about this).

No crashes or any other real problems with nMP/Mavericks/11/HD native. I'm really enjoying the total silence of this Mac. Even when full load, there's no fan noise.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
+1
If I remember right there is some special code in Mavericks for nMP (source: internet, so not sure about this).

No crashes or any other real problems with nMP/Mavericks/11/HD native. I'm really enjoying the total silence of this Mac. Even when full load, there's no fan noise.
I'm using with the New Mac Pro Pro tools 11HD and 10HD, no problems at all. I'm using Mavericks 10.9.2

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Hi Marco, so just to confirm you're using PTHD 11 AND 10 on a nMac with Mavericks with a PT HD Native TB card, right ?
Are you using this rig also for recording, and if so, how do you deal with latency of the Native card ?
Did you connect the card directly (as I presume) or did you use a chassis like Sonnet/Magma ?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegalante View Post
Hi Marco, so just to confirm you're using PTHD 11 AND 10 on a nMac with Mavericks with a PT HD Native TB card, right ?
Are you using this rig also for recording, and if so, how do you deal with latency of the Native card ?
Did you connect the card directly (as I presume) or did you use a chassis like Sonnet/Magma ?
Thanks
Hi Steve,

It's correct, I'm using the new Mac Pro on Mavericks 10.9.2, with Pro tools 10HD and 11HD.

My Avid Rig it's the HD Native Thunderbolt (it's not the PCIe version, that's why I don't need any Sonnet or Magma chassis) Is connected directly to the new Mac Pro.

I'm a post-production guy, I don't do much recording, but you can see in my test that the H/W buffer size is at 32 samples with that HUGE session.

I'm using a Caldigit 3 thunderbolt to have all my samples and work.

Cheers

Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatonose View Post
Is anyone using HD native on a new(2013) Mac Pro, these Macs are unapproved. Specifically I'm looking to use PT10 HD because I'm not ready to pay the upgrade costs of moving to AAX, but I'd like to hear from PT11 users as well. Need to move to a new Mac and out of my very old PCI-x TDM system but not wanting to wait another year before AVID approves this Mac. Thanks.
The first new Mac Pro models Avid received have been qualified since you first posted this. Details in the Pro Tools HD 11 system requirements:
Pro Tools HD 11 Qualified Apple Computers

2013 Mac Pro
Model Identifier: 6,1
Tested Models:
6-core 3.5 GHz
4-core 3.7 GHz

Tested Software:
Pro Tools HD 11.1.2

Tested Systems:
HDX
HD Native PCI-e & ThunderBolt

Tested Expansion Chassis:
Magma EB3T
Sonnet III-R
Sonnet III-D

Qualification of models with 8-Core and 12-Core processors has not been completed.