Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-23-2016, 06:34 AM

Default License Error - Software Component Unavailable installing iLok License Manager

I just paid an annual renewal for Upgrades (I skipped the support option thanks), now I come to install my latest exciting version of the same old same old from 12.6 to 12.7 and guess what, surprise surprise, it won't work.

License Error - Pro Tools Perpetual

The software required to validate the license for this product is not running. Please reinstall the product or download and run the iLok License Manger installer here:
http://www.ilok.com

So I follow the instructions, but now my iLok won't work:

Software Component Unavailable

A background component required for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable. If rebooting does not fix this issue, please visit iLok.com and download and run the latest Licence Support Installer.
---

So I try everything I can think of, de-install PT 12.7 and revert to 12.6, re-install iLok...nothing works.

So I then go on a hunt to find some tech support...sorry bud everyone is out on Christmas.

So I then have run a WHOLE SYSTEM BACKUP to get my WIN 10 O/S back to where I was at before I spent my £88 annual upgrade, many, many frustrating hours ago, having had zero musical productivity as an Xmas bonus. And then repeat the WHOLE process, to no avail.

So I then ring AVID UK support. After a number of highly irritating irrelevant messages I am put on hold...so I hold, and I h-o-l-d...yawn looks like Santa has dragged em all out the office to the local boozer.

"Dear Santa. Please may I have a brand new DAW next Christmas that is fairly priced, free of stupid elfs and troglodytes and other nasty little problems that destroy my creative process instead of enhance it? I have heard the Harrison Mixbus is a very nice one.

Alternatively could you get a nice man at AVID Forums to tell me how to get this new version to install, or at least get me a refund of my Updates Plan and I'll stick with 12.6 as I was quite happy that it at least worked for a few weeks, even if it was a pain to originally install, as all the updates for the last 10 years have been.

Many thanks, Christopher.

ps I pwomise to be good and stop swearin' in the New Year".
--
Right. Now I have to go through the WHOLE pain of zapping my whole OS and re-install it from an AOMEI backup I luckily made before I attempted another AVID upgrade, put the kettle on, wait 6 hours, then tonight just maybe I can get some MUSIC DONE.

Merry Christmas ya'll
Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Dear Santa

This happened to me also, and has happened in various ways for several versions...

I always have my ilok manager up running and active, also freshly sync'd (ZDT)

Then I start Pro Tools....maybe 2 or 3 times and maybe a reboot, then restart PT again....all with The Ilok manager up and connected / signed in......

I did this just a few days ago....now I am back up
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Like you, installing PT 12.7 triggered some sort of weird licensing issue that is still being sorted out. Installing 12.6 created a license mess as well. There is *nothing* unusual about my license or system.

Does anyone at Avid actually test these releases before putting them out? Simply doing an upgrade to the software should never require hours of hassle. It's ridiculous. Right now I don't have a working system because (surprise) legacy versions are not available for download in my account.

Yes, I created a support ticket. Hopefully I will be back up and running in a day or two.

In contrast, upgrading my Reaper installation, including download time, takes about 10-15 seconds. No exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaston View Post
I just paid an annual renewal for Upgrades (I skipped the support option thanks), now I come to install my latest exciting version of the same old same old from 12.6 to 12.7 and guess what, surprise surprise, it won't work.

License Error - Pro Tools Perpetual

The software required to validate the license for this product is not running. Please reinstall the product or download and run the iLok License Manger installer here:
http://www.ilok.com

So I follow the instructions, but now my iLok won't work:

Software Component Unavailable

A background component required for iLok License Manager seems to be unavailable. If rebooting does not fix this issue, please visit iLok.com and download and run the latest Licence Support Installer.
---

So I try everything I can think of, de-install PT 12.7 and revert to 12.6, re-install iLok...nothing works.

So I then go on a hunt to find some tech support...sorry bud everyone is out for Christmas.

So I then have to run a WHOLE SYSTEM BACKUP to get my WIN 10 O/S back to where I was at before I spent my £88 annual upgrade, many, many frustrating hours ago, having had zero musical productivity as an Xmas bonus. And then repeat the WHOLE process, to no avail.

So I then ring AVID UK support. After a number of highly irritating irrelevant messages I am put on hold...so I hold, and I h-o-l-d...yawn looks like Santa has dragged em all out the office to the local boozer.

"Dear Santa. Please may I have a brand new DAW next Christmas that is fairly priced, free of stupid elfs and troglodytes and other nasty little problems that destroy my creative process instead of enhance it? I have heard the Harrison Mixbus is a very nice one.

Alternatively could you get a nice man at AVID Forums to tell me how to get this new version to install, or at least get me a refund of my Updates Plan and I'll stick with 12.6 as I was quite happy that it at least worked for a few weeks, even if it was a pain to originally install, as all the updates for the last 10 years have been.

Many thanks, Christopher.

ps I pwomise to be good and stop swearin' in the New Year".
--
Right. Now I have to go through the WHOLE pain of the process of zapping my whole OS and re-install it from an AOMEI backup I luckily made before I attempted another AVID upgrade, put the kettle on, wait 6 hours, then tonight just maybe I can get some MUSIC DONE.

Merry Christmas ya'll
Old 12-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Chaps I think I had a bit too much Xmas cheer (sherry) and well see I think I might have well erm, used a norty word or to when I launched my complaint to Avid customers service so I think they might have fell out wi me because they haven't bothered to reply so anyway I have decided I can't be bothered wrestling Pro Tools 12.7 at least until I have had some turkey and then I might have another go but for the time being I am just taking the easy route, sticking with 12.6 and hopefully some nice person at Avid might take pity and refund my annual subscription and next year I really don't think I will buy another one because I didn't find it very good value for money
Old 12-23-2016, 12:33 PM

Like a complete fool, I deleted my old install copy of PT 12.6.1 to save disk space. Now I'M SOL until they send me a link to legacy installers. My system is down. Thankfully I have no time critical work that needs to be done for a day or two.

Merry Xmas from Avid.

Quote:
Chaps I think I had a bit too much Xmas cheer (sherry) and well see I think I might have well erm, used a norty word or to when I launched my complaint to Avid customers service so I think they might have fell out wi me because they haven't bothered to reply so anyway I have decided I can't be bothered wrestling Pro Tools 12.7 at least until I have had some turkey and then I might have another go but for the time being I am just taking the easy route, sticking with 12.6 and hopefully some nice person at Avid might take pity and refund my annual subscription and next year I really don't think I will buy another one because I didn't find it very good value for money
Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Like a complete fool, I deleted my old install copy of PT 12.6.1 to save disk space. Now I'M SOL until they send me a link to legacy installers. My system is down. Thankfully I have no time critical work that needs to be done for a day or two.

Merry Xmas from Avid.

I have a 12.6.1 installer I can drop box you. email me at: [email protected]
Old 12-23-2016, 12:52 PM

I really appreciate the offer. But I should hear back from Avid support some time today, and I really do have nothing that needs to get done with PT today. I don't want to put you through the hassle.

A very kind offer, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stys64 View Post
I have a 12.6.1 installer I can drop box you. email me at: [email protected]
Old 12-23-2016, 06:20 PM

Sounds related to the info posted on ilok.com about Win7 updates. Can you please check that (install if needed) and report back?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Hello chaps from jolly old Engle-land...here is the solution to the Xmas iLok conundrum which turns out to have been Santa's elves bein' mischievious and messing around in the Windows Control Panel...here is what Mrs. iLok told me to do, and it worked, apart from make sure you set the BONJOUR service running FIRST, not in the order she has suggested:

Hello,

The PACE License Service has two dependencies that are required in order to successfully start. Please use the following instructions to check to see if both the PACE License Services and Bonjour service are running and set to automatically start.

Open your Control Panel
Previous to Windows 8: Select Control Panel from the Windows Start button
On Windows 8 and above: Use Search (F3 or hotkey combo Windows key + S) and type "control panel" (without quotes) selecting Control Panel from the list to open it

Select System and Security

Select Administrative Tools

Double-click Services

Right-click PACE License Services on the Services list and choose Properties from the pop-up menu
Make sure that "Automatic" is selected on the Startup type pull-down menu
If the service is not running, click the Start button to start the service
Click the OK button to save your changes

Right-click the Bonjour Service on the Services list and choose Properties from the pop-up menu
Make sure that "Automatic" is selected on the Startup type pull-down menu
If the service is not running, click the Start button to start the service
Click the OK button to save your changes
Close all windows and reboot your system

Restart your computer and wait two minutes before launching iLok License Manager to confirm no error messages are displayed on its launch (this gives the required services time to start)
If no error messages are displayed, the issue should be resolved.

If any error messages are displayed, please reply to this email with a screenshot or the exact and complete wording of the error message(s). If you need help taking a screenshot, this site is helpful: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Best Regards,
Katie
iLok.com Technical Support
<http://www.ilok.com>

Mwah thanks Mrs iLok would have been nice if it just worked right in the first place then us lot wouldn't have had to get so stroppy over it and ruin our Xmas din-dins though
Old 12-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Default Re: License Error - Software Component Unavailable installing iLok License Manager

Yeah everybody please make sure that the BONJOUR SERVICE is started and running in order to start the PACE License Services, in the Services section. I had this problem when I updated to Pro Tools 12.7. Once I had updated it, I couldn't open or launch Pro Tools or even the iLok License Manager. But if you click on the dependencies tab on the PACE License Services service, the Bonjour Service needs to be started and running so you can start the PACE License Services which will then allow you to open and launch Pro Tools and the iLok License Manager again.

So just clarify, start and run the Bonjour Service if you're having problem starting the PACE License Services. Start and run the Bonjour Service!!