Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Default Eleven Rack Standalone driver, and editor.

I want to use the Eleven Rack with Logic 9. Avid's website has two drivers listed; one's a standalone coreaudio driver and the other is the Eleven Rack driver. Which one should I use? I don't have PT installed and I'm on Lion 10.7.2

I was also wondering if anyone knows if there's a standalone editor planned for the Eleven Rack?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Standalone driver, and editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurgh View Post
I was also wondering if anyone knows if there's a standalone editor planned for the Eleven Rack?
Eleven Rack users have been requesting a stand alone editor for almost 2 years now. The requests have been made through the Avid approved channels - IdeaScale. As of now, Avid has not delivered one. Avid will not comment if there are any plans in the future to develop one.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurgh View Post

only Avid knows, and they are in a quagmire right now, so who knows.

Many of us Eleven Rack users are hoping for something new on 11/11/11 just because it would be a great date to release something for the Eleven Rack, but it all just speculation.

If you want to use the on screen editor you will have to use Pro Tools, there is no way around that. You will not be able to download rigs from other people, backup/load rigs to/from your PC, use the embedded settings function, without using Pro Tools.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 AM

My workaround in my studio, where I don't use the 11R as my main interface, is to install PT8 LE on a 5-6 years old laptop to use as my "stand alone" editor.

But for my second 11R, used as my main interface in my home studio, this becomes a hazzle.
Of corse this is related to the fact that I use Cubase/Nuendo as my DAW of choise.

To be honest, I think AVID has "converted" as many as possible to PT by now.
From now on they can only loose against the compitition with the ones that have a stand alone editor IMHO.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks guys. I guess I´ll just fiddle with the buttons for now then, easy enough. I´m still unsure which driver I should use though. As mentioned the Avid website has two drivers listed; an older standalone coreaudio driver and the newer Eleven Rack driver listed here http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=379411

The confusing bit is that the newer driver only seems to work with Pro Tools. There´s no mentioning of it working as a standalone driver for use in other DAW´s. The older standalone coreaudio driver appears to be old and outdated, there´s no telling if it works with OSX Lion, or not. Would I be correct in assuming it´s the above linked driver I´m after?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Those drivers are for if you want to use the Eleven Rack as an interface with other programs like Logic, etc.

The GUI editor still only opens in Protools, not in any other program.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Avid is really screwed up! After 2 years of people request a simple stand alone editor for the 11R which was marketed to use with other DAWs, Avid still has not done it... THEY SUCK!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
Avid is really screwed up! After 2 years of people request a simple stand alone editor for the 11R which was marketed to use with other DAWs, Avid still has not done it... THEY SUCK!
I would hazard to guess they are uninterested in releasing a stand alone editor since that would make it easier for users to move to competing products. I have resigned myself to using 8LE to mess with rigs. The annoying thing is that it hangs frequently in Lion and when installed it interferes with other vendor's software. I just don't see spending $500 to upgrade, so I'll probably end up doing what bredo is and load 8LE on an old laptop and the software of my choice on my iMac (leaning towards the newly priced Logic 9).
Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 AM

I hear ya.. But one would think that AVID in is in the business of making money and just think how many more 11R's they could sell if they add a Standalone, and VST editor with all the same functions it has in PT.

just seems like a no brainier to me. You can run it from the unit without a software editor but its just so much easier with a software editor.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
I hear ya.. But one would think that AVID in is in the business of making money and just think how many more 11R's they could sell if they add a Standalone, and VST editor with all the same functions it has in PT.

just seems like a no brainier to me. You can run it from the unit without a software editor but its just so much easier with a software editor.
Do you really think that the lack of a stand alone editor has stopped people from buying one? I would guess, and it's just a guess, that this would be a pretty small number.