Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-16-2001, 04:48 PM

Default Digidesign please help with PTLE/NI Battery?

Hello,

I have recently been informed that Native Instruments' Battery soft sampler does NOT work with PTLE, but only with ProTools Mix systems. This information comes to me second hand, although I am trying to get NI's official position on the issue. Unfortunately, I 've already ordered Battery for my PTLE/Digi001 system and will have to return it. I will assume that others have inquired through Digidesign customer support over the phone about Battery as I intend to do following up on monday. I am very interested in Digidesigns position. However, also since it's the weekend I figure I might post this and hope for some useful feedback. Thank you.

-KennyD
Old 06-16-2001, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Digidesign please help with PTLE/NI Battery?

This is what it says on the Native Instruments site: http://www.native-instruments.de/eng...1_battery.html

Under Features:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Runs stand-alone with MME™, Direct Sound™, Sound Manager™, MAS™, DirectConnect™ and ASIO™ or as a Dxi™- and VST 2™-Plugin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pop-up link under System Requirements:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Important note for the Mac version of Battery:
The Battery stand alone software doesn't work if DirectConnect from Digidesign is not installed on your system. We will fix this problem with the next Battery update. As temporary solution you can download DirectConnect (564 KB) from the Digidesign homepage. After downloading extract its content and put the file "Digidesign StreamManager" into the directory "System Folder/Extensions". Now you should be able to run Battery. The next Battery update will fix this problem so that you can delete this file later. If you already installed a newer version of ProTools, ProTools LE or ProTools Free containing DirectConnect you will not experience this problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it sounds like they have researched this at least to the extent that they have tested on Pro Tools LE systems. I haven't downloaded the demo and tried it yet, but maybe some other users have?
Old 06-16-2001, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Oops, the demo says VST plug-in only, so I don't know if the demo version includes sound manager or DirectConnect cabability.

But I did find out what might be the source of the confusion on our own Digidesign Development Partners Website in the Software section on the Battery Spec Sheet:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Interface: Works seamlessly with Pro Tools via Digidesign's DirectConnect

RTAS version will be released in the second quarter of 2001 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Battery appears to work now with Pro Tools or Pro Tools LE as a DirectConnect plug-in application, with an RTAS version to follow. So do check with Native Instruments regarding the RTAS version.
Old 06-16-2001, 06:49 PM

Hi!

It happens that I had also just found the same information at NI. Must admit that I am encouraged by the lines that read ProToolsLE in the text. It seems that it is indicating compatibility. I found that in the plug-ins finder as well, under Battery specs, that there is indication of plans for RTAS support by second quarter 2001, which is incidently currently happening. So, I wonder if RTAS is still planned or what progress has been made up to present because the NI site does not mention RTAS support for Battery. I guess RTAS support would indeed clinch the answer once and for all that Battery will work w/ PTLE so would be great to know. Information is rather ambiguos in regards to ProToolsLE, just the aformentioned link, as all direct advertised references refer to just Pro Tools. Therefore, I'm still in the dark, but perhaps seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope that somebody reads this thread and can bring more light to the issue.

--------
You got the last post in before me. I see we are on the same track. Thanks for the feedback!

-KennyD

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: KennyD ]
Old 06-17-2001, 10:40 AM

I have NI Battery and it works GREAT with my 001 and PTLE. I have not had a single problem with it functioning properly. It's great for drum tracks. It comes with a CD full of kits, some of them pretty good. It works though.[/LIST]
Old 06-17-2001, 02:52 PM

Hi. I'm very happy to hear that Battery is working well in Digi001/PTLE. I was just going to return it thinking it wasn't compatible, but of course now I'm definitely looking forward to sampling with Battery.

trackfive,

Do you also have to run multiple instances of dirrect-connect for stereo or multimono?

peteri,

I'm not sure I understand your setup in regards to DC. Is it just a copy of DC, so that you have two instances of the same DC in your plug-ins folder (or wherever DC is located)?

-KennyD
Old 06-18-2001, 01:58 AM

Just to confirm I too use Battery with PTLE and it works fine, only complaint is that I have to run two copies of the d/c plugin to get sound into PT - one stereo and one multi mono - be cool if someone could fix this.

I also have the B4 and Dynamo both of which also work fine (the B4 seems smoothest with the D/C plugin) - have the same problem with the doubling up of the d/c plugins.

Now if NI could make DC a bit smoother and Dynamo/Battery a bit easier on the processor.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2001, 02:31 PM

Ah ha! Comprendo. Thanks for clearing that bit up. Reading your results, hope CPU drain isn't TOO high on Battery. My impression from emailing NI was that the CPU usage was extremely low and very efficient. Rather, that RAM is it's main source of fuel. Just guessing, I've expected the CPU load to be comparable to let's say, a D-Verb RTAS plugin.

-KennyD

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: KennyD ]
Old 06-18-2001, 03:34 PM

Ha! NI would say that! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm a big, big fan of NI - I really think their soft synths set the standard, but I'm not sure about the efficiency.

Using the PT performance meter and my thumb, I'd say you're pretty close. I don't have d-verb installed at the moment - I just don't tend to use it. I use Realverb which from memory is about 30-50% higher in CPU usage compared to D-verb.

Taking R-verb as a model Battery seems to be the same as about one instance of Realverb - ie about 30% more than one copy of D-verb, this is playing a kit of about 20Mb of Akai samples.

This is compared to Koblo which seems to use about 50% of a D-verb instance, or Dynamo which seems to use the same as about 3 copies of Realverb i.e. all my system can really handle! (533 G4 384Mb Ram) (I can just about scrape 4 instances of Realverb with a few tracks and no other plugins).

Of course this is all rule of thumb, so in summary - I think your estimate is about right!

Good luck.

Pete
Old 06-18-2001, 09:10 PM

I can definitely live with those estimates. Battery seems to be so easy and useful I am greatly looking forward to it. Thank you for all your help. If I may adopt the U.K. phrase...Cheers!