Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Default Launch DAE Error -1

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can help with this please?

My system: Powermac G4 800 Quicksliver, 10.3.9 (Panther) 1.5g RAM, Mix Core Card, Mix Farm Card, DSP Farm Card, TDM 6.4.1

My issue is on occasions when launching PT it instantly gives me "DAE Error -1 was encountered" while it does the Initializing Hardware...

It seems that it could be a card/pci slot issue as I re-seated all the cards and reconnected them one by one starting with the core - PT laucnhed no problem, so I reconnected the rest - again no problem, but I seem to have to do this about once a week. Could the PCI slot where the core is be faulty? So I'm wondering, could I move all my cards down by 1 slot? I have 6 slots (I think?). My first 2 have cards in them running my 2 screens and I use the next 3 for the PT cards. Could I use the cards in slots 4, 5 and 6 and leave slot 3 free (as I think that might be the faulty one?)

Any other help or advice on the DAE -1 would be great

thanks

Lee
Old 03-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Launch DAE Error -1

Hello,
You have 5 slots (one of which is AGP only) so really--four.

DAE Error-1 is a "hardware failure." I'm guessing the MIX Farm, as that is what I had 'personally' fail.

This error usually means you have a bad card. (Especially if you see a DAE error-4 or DAE error 0 at some point.) Run Digitest and if you see a failure on one of your card's DSPs, than this is the culprit.

If it's not refurbished, you may be able to use it on a HD upgrade in the future, but in your system it will cause nothing but problems, consider the card "dead to you." I do not know of any fix for a bad DSP, short of hitting the bad DSP with Freeze Spray, which may be a temporary fix & could "possibly" clear a short. Long shot.

I also once tried to "poison" the bad DSP (Protees only would launch 1 of 3 starts) by clicking on the bad DSP slot in the System Usage window, which 'allocates' the bad DSP=turns red [now that I knew which card & which DSP slot where problematic] -- still it was an ungraceful & unstable solution as a DSP shuffle could take down the system. MIX cards are cheap these days, so replacement is the best option.

Hope this helps, best,

Walt

PS: Run Digitest

PS2: Don't install EQ III or Dyn III or DSP shuffles will cause crashes as it will update DSP Manager to 6.9-- See this FAQ from Steven Massey for more info, 2nd question from the bottom: http://www.masseyplugins.com/index_v2.html?page=faq
Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Launch DAE Error -1

Thanks for the reply Walt

I ran a Digitest and all 3 cards passed with no failures. Come to think of it, it was when a plug-in reshuffle was happening I'd get a Time-out error and then when I forced quit and re-launched, thats when the troubles began. I spoke to some others and they suggested removing the DSP Farm.

I had the error again tonight, removed the DSP farm, rebooted and PT launched no problem. I think I'll just ditch the DSP Farm - another red hot bargain from ebay! NOT!

Lee