Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Upgrading: Beginner Style

Hello, all. I am a beginner at using Pro Tools. I purchased the Fast Track USB and the installed software is Pro Tools M-Powered Essential 8. I want to use my keyboard with Pro Tools and I found out a few minutes ago that I have to buy the full version. My question is this: If I have Pro Tools M-Powered 8, do I choose option #2 below? I certainly don't see Pro Tools 8 as an option when buying and I am assuming 'MP' stands for M-Powered. I wanted to ask first before I moved forward with my purchase. Thanks.

1. Upgrade from Pro Tools 9 - I don't have this one.
2. Crossgrade from Pro Tools MP - Is this what I would choose if I have M-Powered 8?
3. Crossgrade from Pro Tools LE.

Thanks, again, for helping a beginner me:)
Old 11-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Upgrading: Beginner Style

There is no upgrade from M-Powered Essentials, as that's just a free program thrown in with your interface. The upgrade you see from M-Powered is for the full version of M-Powered.

You would need to buy the full version of Protools, or buy an interface that's bundled with it.

However, more importantly, you CAN use your keyboard with this program. I don't know who told you you couldn't, but they're wrong. So if that's the reason you want to upgrade, then don't worry about it.

If you're having trouble getting your keyboard to work, feel free to post questions about that.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Hi, NST7. I'm trying to setup my I/O. When I follow the directions to do this, a pop up window appears telling me that I need to buy the full version to use this option. This is why I think I need to buy the full version. Sounds like I need to buy the full version of M-Powered or go with Pro Tools 8, 9, or 10. You have helped me. However, if there is a way to use my keyboard and setup my I/O without buying the full version, please let me know. As of now, I do not see that there is that option. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Ok. Now I understand that the ugrade will be from M-Powered to Pro Tool 10, according to the upgrade page I am on. It gives you choices depending on what you already have. This one will let me upgrade from any version of LE or MP to Pro Tools 10. Glad I found a description on the Avid site that explained that. Thanks for your help, again, NST7.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM

You are misunderstanding what it says. This is for any previous version of M-Powered, not Essentials. You would need to have an Ilok license for a previous version of M-Powered to do that upgrade. Essentials doesn't even use Ilok. In the official FAQ for Essentials, it is stated that there is no upgrade. I can't link to it now on my iPhone, but again, you need to buy the full version of M-Powered or regular PT10.

And once again, you can use your keyboard with Essentials. It has nothing at all to do with the IO setup. See other threads on how to set this up in Windows (since that's what you're on, according to your specs).
Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM

I am so in need of help and there's no Avid number to call on a weekend I just purchased the crossgrade from M-Powered to Pro Tools 10. Once I did that, I was informed about something called iLok. Do I have to have iLok in order to use my newly purchased Pro Tools 10? Also, I don't have an activation code in my confirmation order email. I can't do anything right now
Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 PM

Yes, you need an Ilok, as I mentioned in my previous post. You would have needed to have a full version of M-Powered already on your Ilok to get this crossgrade price. Essentials does not qualify for any upgrade.

You will need to call the Avid Store tomorrow and try to arrange to get a refund so you can start over, and buy the full version.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM

If you can get the refund. You can buy mp 9. http://www.avid.com/US/products/ProT...m-requirements

It's cheaper and will work with your interface. You would still need an ilok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk