Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Default ProControl Plugin Edit Issues

I am on PTHD10 and when I go to edit plugins, lets say I'm editing an eq frequency, and when I start adjusting, the values randomly go all over the place. As an example, lets say I'm on a value of 2, stepping through to 10. It will go from 2, to 20, to 4, to 15, to 6, jumps all over the map.

It is also inconsistent when it does this.

Any ideas?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Re: ProControl Plugin Edit Issues

Sticky encoders ?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Sticky encoders ?
It does not do it on every plugin though. Ideas?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
It does not do it on every plugin though. Ideas?
Hi,

That's weird, only time I've ever seen this on my control 24 is where the encoders have started to wear out. On the most commonly used encoders.

I've also found some plugins can deal with this better than others.

Are you in fine adjustment mode when this happens?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I am on PTHD10 and when I go to edit plugins, lets say I'm editing an eq frequency, and when I start adjusting, the values randomly go all over the place. As an example, lets say I'm on a value of 2, stepping through to 10. It will go from 2, to 20, to 4, to 15, to 6, jumps all over the map.

It is also inconsistent when it does this.

Any ideas?
You are talking about your ProControl, right? And this means you are using the 8 data encoders in the DSP/Edit Assign section of your ProControl Main Unit, right?

Well, there are 2 versions of the the data encoders in the DSP section. In the first batch of Pro Control Main Units these encoders made a strong noise when handled (like the sound and feel of blocked plastic gear wheels, each plastic click noise was a step up- or downwards). It was not only very disturbing in a control room (data encoders should be dead silent), they were also not very exact and could show behaviour as you are describing.

In the later batches Digidesign replaced these data encoders by silent ones, but still with a kind of 'step feel'. These encoders did not show the behaviour you are describing. At some point in time it was possible order the PCB with the new data encoders on it to replace the noisy ones.

To cut the story short: if you have the old version of the data encoders, then you should try to find another Pro Control Main Unit that has the new data encoders and use this machine instead of the one you are using now (or take the PCB board from it and place it in the one you are using know). Second hand Pro Controls are very cheap so it cold be wise to by some units just for spare parts. For example: I have a second Main Unit and 2 Fader Packs just for spare parts for my 48ch. Pro Control (so I have 24 spare faders and a lot of spare PCB's, cables, button caps, etc.)

If you already have the new version of the data encoders in your Main Unit, then it could be just wear and tear, or maybe flushing the encoders with DeoxIT could help.

Btw, maybe there are some facts about these data encoders you are not aware of (these are extracts from the manual):

Rotary Encoder Velocity Response

When editing pan or send level, the channel data encoders exhibit linear response. Only the DSP Edit/Assign data encoders provide velocity sensitive response.

The data encoders in the DSP Edit/Assign section use a velocity algorithm that lets you make large changes by turning the encoder quickly, or small changes by turning the encoder knob slowly.

Rotary Encoder Resolution

Since the rotary encoders have a fixed number of steps, and there are over 200 actual pan values, (–100 to +100), some steps will be skipped.

Fine Adjustment with Data Encoders

To adjust channel pan, send level or (stereo) send pan with fine control:

■ Press (CTL) while adjusting pan or send level. Pro Tools interpolates with 24-bit resolution when your automation moves are played back. (Refer to the Pro Tools Reference Guide for details on Automation Smoothing.)

Velocity Sensitive or Fixed Encoders

You can configure the DSP Edit/Assign data encoders for fixed or velocity sensitive response. Fixed One rotation of the encoder covers the entire range of values.
Velocity sensitive (Default setting) The faster you rotate the encoder the faster the values will change. To toggle the DSP Edit/Assign knobs between fixed and velocity sensitive modes:

1 Press F3 on ProControl.

2 Press F3 again to toggle back.

You can also test the function of the data encoders:

To test the knobs.

1 Press UTILITY > TEST > ROTARY.

2 Rotate the desired channel encoder(s) to test the knob. The 3-digit encoder value is displayed and updated in real-time in the scribble strips.

3 Rotate a DSP encoder to test the knobs in the DSP Edit/Assign section. The values for the eight DSP Edit/Assign encoders are displayed vertically

Btw, if you do not want to use the data encoders for plug-ins, you can reassign them to the faders of your Main Unit

Plug-In Flip Mode

Plug-In Flip mode maps plug-in parameters to the eight Main Unit faders, for hands-on plug-in editing and automation.

To use Plug-in Flip mode:

1 Select a plug-in and display its parameters in the DSP Edit/Assign section. Refer to the ProControl Guide for instructions on assigning and opening plug-ins with ProControl.

2 Press (CTL)+FLIP.

The eight faders on the Main Unit now display and control the first page (or, last selected page) of the plug-in. The DSP Edit/Assign section lists the current track name in the 8th row of displays. The CHANNEL/GROUP display shows the name of the currently flipped plug-in.

To select a different plug-in page:

■ Press the corresponding Channel Matrix switch.

I hope this info might help you out

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins

Last edited by Delta Music Belgium; 04-30-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
You are talking about your ProControl, right? And this means you are using the 8 data encoders in the DSP/Edit Assign section of your ProControl Main Unit, right?

Well, there are 2 versions of the the data encoders in the DSP section. In the first batch of Pro Control Main Units these encoders made a strong noise when handled (like the sound and feel of blocked plastic gear wheels, each plastic click noise was a step up- or downwards). It was not only very disturbing in a control room (data encoders should be dead silent), they were also not very exact and could show behaviour as you are describing.

In the later batches Digidesign replaced these data encoders by silent ones, but still with a kind of 'step feel'. These encoders did not show the behaviour you are describing. At some point in time it was possible order the PCB with the new data encoders on it to replace the noisy ones.

To cut the story short: if you have the old version of the data encoders, then you should try to find another Pro Control Main Unit that has the new data encoders and use this machine instead of the one you are using now (or take the PCB board from it and place it in the one you are using know). Second hand Pro Controls are very cheap so it cold be wise to by some units just for spare parts. For example: I have a second Main Unit and 2 Fader Packs just for spare parts for my 48ch. Pro Control (so I have 24 spare faders and a lot of spare PCB's, cables, button caps, etc.)

If you already have the new version of the data encoders in your Main Unit, then it could be just wear and tear, or maybe flushing the encoders with DeoxIT could help.

Btw, maybe there are some facts about these data encoders you are not aware of (these are extracts from the manual):

Rotary Encoder Velocity Response

When editing pan or send level, the channel data encoders exhibit linear response. Only the DSP Edit/Assign data encoders provide velocity sensitive response.

The data encoders in the DSP Edit/Assign section use a velocity algorithm that lets you make large changes by turning the encoder quickly, or small changes by turning the encoder knob slowly.

Rotary Encoder Resolution

Since the rotary encoders have a fixed number of steps, and there are over 200 actual pan values, (–100 to +100), some steps will be skipped.

Fine Adjustment with Data Encoders

To adjust channel pan, send level or (stereo) send pan with fine control:

■ Press (CTL) while adjusting pan or send level. Pro Tools interpolates with 24-bit resolution when your automation moves are played back. (Refer to the Pro Tools Reference Guide for details on Automation Smoothing.)

Velocity Sensitive or Fixed Encoders

You can configure the DSP Edit/Assign data encoders for fixed or velocity sensitive response. Fixed One rotation of the encoder covers the entire range of values.
Velocity sensitive (Default setting) The faster you rotate the encoder the faster the values will change. To toggle the DSP Edit/Assign knobs between fixed and velocity sensitive modes:

1 Press F3 on ProControl.

2 Press F3 again to toggle back.

You can also test the function of the data encoders:

To test the knobs.

1 Press UTILITY > TEST > ROTARY.

2 Rotate the desired channel encoder(s) to test the knob. The 3-digit encoder value is displayed and updated in real-time in the scribble strips.

3 Rotate a DSP encoder to test the knobs in the DSP Edit/Assign section. The values for the eight DSP Edit/Assign encoders are displayed vertically

Btw, if you do not want to use the data encoders for plug-ins, you can reassign them to the faders of your Main Unit

Plug-In Flip Mode

Plug-In Flip mode maps plug-in parameters to the eight Main Unit faders, for hands-on plug-in editing and automation.

To use Plug-in Flip mode:

1 Select a plug-in and display its parameters in the DSP Edit/Assign section. Refer to the ProControl Guide for instructions on assigning and opening plug-ins with ProControl.

2 Press (CTL)+FLIP.

The eight faders on the Main Unit now display and control the first page (or, last selected page) of the plug-in. The DSP Edit/Assign section lists the current track name in the 8th row of displays. The CHANNEL/GROUP display shows the name of the currently flipped plug-in.

To select a different plug-in page:

■ Press the corresponding Channel Matrix switch.

I hope this info might help you out
Marc, thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed and informative response!