Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 12:16 AM

Default Desktop Computer or Network Computer?

I was wondering what my computer should be set as. A recording engineer said I should set the setting in the file system as a Network Computer for the Digi, is there a difference in performance? Or does it matter if it is a Desktop Computer or a Network Computer? I find that it is faster if the setting is Desktop Computer, if anyone knows the answer, that would be great. If this is a silly question, let me know also. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Thanks, platinumx99 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2001, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Desktop Computer or Network Computer?

It's not a silly question at all. I've made this setting too on my setup, and although I can't verify its effectiveness, there's a logic behind it: I found this same info on a few documents concerning DAW optimized PC settings from Tascam engineers, and they justified it by saying that a server setting is more suitable to accomodate a higher I/O ratio of data transfer between workstations, which is a thing servers are pretty good at.

L.G.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:28 AM

I posted a thread last summer on optimizing the PC for PTLE and one of the things I came across was an article on changing to a server setting over desktop for more stability. I have mine on server now and have had zero freezes and errors in PTLE so far with an A7M266 motherboard, 1.46Ghz processor.
Good luck.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 08:04 AM

The following is from a Paris optimization page. It should apply for any PC audio use.

Use the network server performance profile. Definitely test this one after applying it, it helps some systems, hinders others and does nothing for many. This profile aggressively buffers data in memory, which reduces time-consuming disk operations. However, a power failure or other crash would be more likely to cause data loss in this case (duh), so it's better to use this profile only if you have a stable configuration with some form of backup power. To change the profile, right-click My Computer and select Properties, then click the Performance tab. Click the File System button and you'll see a setting for "Typical role of this machine." Change this to Network Server.

So in other words- give it a shot and see what happens- but be weary of the risk involved!