Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 03:19 AM

Default Inserts on Master Fader SPDIF

Im having a very hard time trying to insert my TC Electronics Finalizer on my master faders as inserts thru the 001 SPDIF... Im getting a level on the Finalizer, however i dont hear it on the master fader.... if i assign it to a separate input it will feedback... does anyone know how to insert it as a true insert... so the effect (finalizer) come back on thru the same input... im using SPDIF... does it not work this way? what am i doing wrong... thanks
Old 03-07-2002, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Inserts on Master Fader SPDIF

Assign all tracks to S/PDIF out and and put a stereo aux channel before the master fader. Assign the aux channel to S/PDIF in and ch. 1/2 (if that is what your master fader is) out. Finalize away!

Harbour Sounds
Old 03-07-2002, 09:04 AM

You need to turn off s/pdif mirroring (if it is on), and also trun off low latency monitoring, then you will be ready to go.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:46 PM

thanks guys for the tips, however im still not getting it to work... it doesnt seem to let me hear the audio back in.... im so confused.. and i rarely have troubles figuring out these things out...
i tried both ideas...
im trying to either:
1. send the entire mix to a bus, then send that bus to the finalizer, and then send that return back to master fader
or
2. prefer to truly INSERT the compressor into the master fader

please help....
i just recently sold my tascam mx 2424 to convert to pro tools.. if i can just get this last thing to work i'd be in heaven...
thanks for your time...
Old 03-07-2002, 05:50 PM

Just for fun try setting up a session with one stereo track, a stereo aux and a master fader. Record something on the track and try sending the signal analog to the Finalizer (assign track to 3&4 out and analog back from the TCE into 3&4 in, assign the aux to 3&4 in and 1&2 out). Be aware that 3/4 out is unbalanced -10dB and 3/4 in is balanced +4dB. If this works try it with the S/PDIF channels. If you still have grief, check your I/O Setup under Setups and make sure 17 and 18 are active. For some reason I had no path assigned to 17 & 18 on the output and insert pages and I had to make a new path for these. Check also that your sample rate on the TCE matches your session rate, as well as the bit depth.
That should keep you busy for a while. This does work, if this is any encouragement. I run S/PDIF out to a TCE Triple-C compressor either as an insert or before the master fader as described above. Keep pluging away, and good luck!

Harbour Sounds
Old 03-07-2002, 09:23 PM

are you monitoring with your analog outs 1&2? Because I monitor my main outs with an external DA through s/pdif, but sometimes I forget that I have to hook up the analog outs when I use a s/pdif insert. You are probably much more intelligent than I am , but just in case. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 03:08 AM

Treat the insert as a plugin. So put it on an insert, NOT as a send...

The inserts are found on the place you would go for an eq....but the dont choose the plugin, but choose interface>chnnel 17/18

Bastiaan
Old 03-31-2002, 10:46 AM

ok... well here's my problem..
i have the finalizer hooked up to SPDIF in/out and on the digi 001... i have the entire mix going to bus 3-4 on a aux input fader, that fader is being sent out to the SPDIF out, which does show up on the finalizer and i see the levels changing... now i cant get that signal back into pro tools.. its like the sound is trapped in the finalizer... my I/O setting are this: i changed all inputs to be SPDIF 9-10, the outputs are 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, SPDIF respectfully... SPDIF mirroing is off and greyed out so i could even choose it.. i tried to make a new playback engine and then lost the signal to the finalizer.... tried with low latency on and of... what i prefer to do it actually rather than route it, i'd love to insert it on a master fader.. when i do that and choose SPDIF, it says the device is being used by other channels and wont do it... so im really confused... anymore help is GREATLY appreciated....thanks [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2002, 10:47 AM

by the way... two of you mentioned some track 17-18... i never have seen that... how do i get that... i dont even get that as a choice in my I/O setup
Old 03-31-2002, 04:54 PM

i did both... SPDIF mirroring is off.... and i reset the I/O a few times.... any other ideas?