PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 12-25-2020, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2020.12 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Although installing over an existing version of Protools often works, there are many documented instances where this has yielded problems for many. It is usually recommended to do as clean an install as possible to avoid these unexpected but prevalent issues. It is also one of the first troubleshooting steps recommended by everyone, so you may save yourself the trouble by doing that to begin with. SSD's are relativly inexpensive, so having a second drive to make an image backup before any upgrade is recommended. With a good backup strategy, you may continue to try installing over an existing version, since you can always get back to where you were before upgrading. If it works, great. If it has issues, you can proceed to do a clean install—format drive, install OS (test), install Protools (test), install plugins/virtual instruments (test), install any other software (test), etc. (test), Make another working backup of the upgraded system.
I will assume that a "Clean as possible" installation means you will wind up having to reinstall all plugins and re-categorize preferred plugins every 2-3 months??? In this case the bug fixes and "improvements" (you will pardon me if I put that in sarcastic quotes!!) offered in 2020.12 do not seem to make it worth all of that trouble as I do not use MIDI that much. Maybe I will just wait until they offer an upgrade with things that I really want or need to make it worth the trouble!!!
Old 12-25-2020, 01:01 PM

OK, I think I have figured out the problem. I run a Windows 10 PC in my studio and - silly me - I keep the operating system up to date. This October, Microsoft upgraded windows to version 20H2, adding a few things of little consequence. I had no issues with running Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.11 after the update.

I was getting ready to do a clean install of Pro Tools 2020.12 and just happened to open the Documentation pdf file. To view the compatibility I had to click a link and go to an AVID website and from there I had to select "Pro Tools".

It turns out that Pro Tools 2020.12, as of the "latest" compatibility update on December 16.2020 IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the latest version of Windows 10 (as noted - version 20H2). I guess this explains my problem!!!

Of course, if I try to go back and have Microsoft revert back to the prior version of Windows, that is not allowed after 10 days.

I have to ask this question.....WHO was the brain trust at AVID that decided to release an upgrade of Pro Tools that is INCOMPATIBLE with the latest version of Windows 10???!!!!

I guess I will just have to wait until this little "issue" gets worked out between Microsoft and AVID. I am certainly glad they don't manage the software that flies our airplanes!!!!
Old 12-25-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmct View Post
I will assume that a "Clean as possible" installation means you will wind up having to reinstall all plugins and re-categorize preferred plugins every 2-3 months??? In this case the bug fixes and "improvements" (you will pardon me if I put that in sarcastic quotes!!) offered in 2020.12 do not seem to make it worth all of that trouble as I do not use MIDI that much. Maybe I will just wait until they offer an upgrade with things that I really want or need to make it worth the trouble!!!
It is an individual decision to upgrade or not. Many folks find a stable version and stick with it until some "feature or bug fix" is released and is needed. Then, yes, the cycle of backing up, fresh installs, plugins, testing, etc. starts over. Again, as long as you have a good backup, you can try to install over and existing version. I'm just stating that historically, many people have run into problems installing over a previous version, but not everyone or every time. It is just a good practice and recommended, but one may chose to ignore if one likes.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
OK, I think I have figured out the problem. I run a Windows 10 PC in my studio and - silly me - I keep the operating system up to date. This October, Microsoft upgraded windows to version 20H2, adding a few things of little consequence. I had no issues with running Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.11 after the update.

I was getting ready to do a clean install of Pro Tools 2020.12 and just happened to open the Documentation pdf file. To view the compatibility I had to click a link and go to an AVID website and from there I had to select "Pro Tools".

It turns out that Pro Tools 2020.12, as of the "latest" compatibility update on December 16.2020 IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the latest version of Windows 10 (as noted - version 20H2). I guess this explains my problem!!!

Of course, if I try to go back and have Microsoft revert back to the prior version of Windows, that is not allowed after 10 days.

I have to ask this question.....WHO was the brain trust at AVID that decided to release an upgrade of Pro Tools that is INCOMPATIBLE with the latest version of Windows 10???!!!!

I guess I will just have to wait until this little "issue" gets worked out between Microsoft and AVID. I am certainly glad they don't manage the software that flies our airplanes!!!!
I get your frustration. Avid has historically been pretty slow to complete testing with newer OS releases. It is just the way it has been. I make no apologies for Avid and wish it were a faster turn-around-time also.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-25-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I am running PT 2020.11 on Windows 10 Home version 2004. Avid says this version of Pro Tools is not compatible with this version of Windows but I have been running PT 2020.11 without issue.

Just as a suggestion, it pays to not run the latest version of Windows until you are forced to. I try to stay one version behind as Microsoft takes their time working out all the bugs in the current version
Old 12-25-2020, 09:28 PM

Hi, I am new to Pro Tools, only purchased in July this year. My current version is 2020.5.0. Can someone please advise how I upgrade to the latest December release ? Do I just download the dmg file and install ? Thanks.

MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6
16GB memory
Old 12-26-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess the best thing for now is to revert to 2020.11 for anyone on the latest build of Windows.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-26-2020, 02:56 AM

thanx - Avid

2020.12 works for me
CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 12-26-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Hi, I am new to Pro Tools, only purchased in July this year. My current version is 2020.5.0. Can someone please advise how I upgrade to the latest December release ? Do I just download the dmg file and install ? Thanks.

MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6
16GB memory
Go to your Avid user account and download the file from there and install right over your existing installation. This assumes you are eligible for updates per whatever PT version you have (subscription, perpetual and paid up on update/support plan, etc.)

QAPLA!