Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-01-2019, 05:00 AM

Default C24 center faders going CRAZY

Faders 9-16 on our C24 console has decided to go berserk.

When playing with pro tools and writing automation they work fine, but once I let go of the faders the go extremely jittery (to the point where the faders fly off.)

We have tried a factory reset and fader tests in utility, this hasn't fixed it.

Can any one help? It's unusable in this state.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Default Re: C24 center faders going CRAZY

I had this problem with my C24 several years ago(which I purchased new). Had to send it in for repair. Recently now I have LED's going crazy and flashing, and the Avid Authorized repair shop did not come back with good news. In my case I'm told that apparently at least some C24 units had some inferior plastic connectors between the PCB's that eventually cause a chemical reaction and result in corrosion on the metal contacts. When I sent mine directly to Avid the first time, they did replace a connector on one board, as you can tell that the one solder job was not done by robot(I don't know what else they did). Even after a thorough cleaning and shiny clean contacts all done by the shop, my C24 still has the flashing LED issue. Audio passes and buttons and faders work, but I can't use it with it's current problems. Unless someone can point me to a fix that doesn't involve replacing PCB's, it's just going to be too expensive to repair. Plus there's the whole no-longer supported deadline. For such an expensive piece of equipment, it's all very disappointing. I take really good care of my gear too.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM

We have that corrosion problem also. We just last week purchased an Ex-demo C24 from an authorized Avid re-seller. The LEDs flash and the Mic Preamp's don't work. Avid service tell me any connector with sticky acidic deposits on them will be effected by corrosion of the pins inside the connector. The IDC headers are all glued down at the factory, so this damage is a design fault. I have cleaned and re-soldered one connector, and the flashing has not happened for a week, but there are seven boards with the sticky deposits on the connectors Avid want over $2000 for replacement boards. I think they should be covered under warranty. Some of the connectors are hidden between other boards, so the contamination can't possibly have come from outside the desk.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:12 AM

Yep, that’s the issue. I have opened my C24 up myself and cleaned all the contacts again with detox it, including the ribbon cables too(pulled them out despite the hot glue). I even bought a new motherboard from Avid through my repair center, and bought one new ribbon cable to replace from where I thought the problem originated. But nothing has changed! It’s inherent in these PCB’s I’m afraid, and there’s really no fixing it. I’ve even removed some cables that interconnect PCB boards, and then I can see the LED’s not work in some sections, but it’s likely perpetuated throughout multiple areas.

I once worked for an audio manufacturer in the pro department. When they discovered a manufacturing defect in one of their products, after a year or so of continual issues they just swept it under the rug and came out with a new model. Never admitted to anything, and the poor souls who purchased these units were just simply out of luck. I don’t know if this is what’s happening here, but as they say in Back To The Future, “There’s something very familiar about all this”!
PT 2021.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6, 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM

I wonder how many desks are like this? Some may not have symptoms yet. Ours was freighted 1000k's by road and ferry, which I think may have aggravated the problem, as it had spent the rest of its life sitting in a showroom. I have had success cleaning the pins, removing the old solder, re-soldering and replacing the ribbon cables. The ribbon cables are easy - parts are cheap, and you can crimp them with a small vice. There are seven boards affected in our C24.