Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Digidesign Database folder?

I was scrolling through different areas of my system drive and also my exernal Firewire drive, where I keep all my sessions, samples and audio, and found this Digidesign Databases folder everywhere, containing the file "volume.ddb" and also "cache.wfm" in one of them. What is this and are they trash-worthy, how does it affect everything? Thanks for any clearance.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Database folder?

I've found these too. As near as I can tell ProTools generates them every time it starts up, to keep track of available space and session/audio files on all drives. Trashing them will only work until ProTools runs again, at which point they are regenerated. What's really annoying about this feature: you can't eject a Firewire or USB hard drive until ProTools is shut down.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:28 PM

Quote:
What's really annoying about this feature: you can't eject a Firewire or USB hard drive until ProTools is shut down.
That's not anything new with the DigiBase.. Pro Tools has always kept file handles open longer than neccessary.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-25-2003, 11:35 PM

So all of this translates to - there's nothing we can do about it, these Digi folders get created all over your drives and that is that? Oh well....
Old 10-26-2003, 12:14 AM

What is the "cache.wfm" with the tape reel icon? Is it something to keep? Ive had it a few times and trashed it.

Old 10-26-2003, 06:20 AM

Quote:
What is the "cache.wfm" with the tape reel icon? Is it something to keep? Ive had it a few times and trashed it
I believe that PT uses that file to keep track of “cached” wave-form overviews (how they are drawn in tracks) so that sessions will load a little faster. If you trash it, all PT does is re-calculate those overviews upon launching a session and regenerate the cache file so it “remembers” for the next launch. I think...

dk
-------
Dual 1.25GHz FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.2.6
PTLE 6.1.1 - DIGI 001
100GB OWC Firewire (Oxford 911) Audio HD
DigTranslator 2
McDSP Analog Channel
Waves Native Power Pack - v4