Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2024, 02:18 PM

Default Bypass Mbox Control!!!!!!!!!

I am surprised that the Mbox Control mixer cannot be completely omitted, when in other interfaces of the same range it is possible, I want to take the outputs of my DAW directly to the physical outputs, omitting the volume control so that all the volumes are controlled solely by the DAW, but there is no way to do it.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Bypass Mbox Control!!!!!!!!!

The Mbox Studio only has 8 DAW returns, it needs that hardware motioning mixer to get to a physical outputs. A not great design decision, made a lot worse by Avid sloppy marketing not making the 8 DAW return limit clear. Its unclear if Avid could rewrite the firmware to add more DAW returns, and without that folks would need the mixer. But combine that with the poor latency and seeming latency reporting errors in the interface I would just run far from this box. But... if the issue you are having is the mixer volume controls what is stopping you setting them all at 0dB in the mixer and leaving them there?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-19-2024 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:47 PM

Hmmm, a couple of thoughts here:
1-latency has not ever been an issue here and I do a fair amount of overdubs with guitar and bass thru amp sim plugins. Not sure why some feel there's an issue.
2-if you want to route all audio out outputs(guessing some sort of analog summing?), then maybe Mbox Studio is simply not the right tool for the job.

I certainly wish some things were different on this interface, but at the end of the day, it serves my needs quite well(and this is coming from an HDN rig with 192's)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-19-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, a couple of thoughts here:
1-latency has not ever been an issue here and I do a fair amount of overdubs with guitar and bass thru amp sim plugins. Not sure why some feel there's an issue.
There is an issue for the reasons I stated. Folks actually measured and reported the RTL latency, and it's not great. And worse it is reported wrong by the driver, and that is just awful for any interface. This has been covered in other threads here, I actually thought you were on those threads. If it works for you for your workloads that is great for you, but based on what has been measured and more so the latency reporting errors I'd not touch these. Given no serious peep out of Avid about these or other issues the product also has some feel of early abandonware. I'd be happy for Avid to prove me wrong, you know by actually doing something. :-O
Old 01-19-2024, 08:27 PM

As Darryl already mentioned, simply put up the one chosen pair of return faders on each output tab to 0 and leave all others all the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control