Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-1999, 04:34 PM

Default Re: serial port

I was told by the Digi product demonstrator that it was a highly guarded secret <g>.

Actually, he inferred that it would be used at some point in the future for "additional functionality".

Pretty vague, huh?

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-20-1999, 06:27 PM

A cool thing to muse over... let's think of the possibilities:

1) ProControl LE. A customized, motormix-like control surface with direct interfacing rather than through MIDI. Would have 8 moving faders, transport controls, and probably quite a bit of other stuff. Perhaps made for Digi by CM under contract.

2) More i/o's...expansion unit would need own power supply. But these i/os could be significantly higher spec. I wonder what percent of the possible bandwidth to the PCI card is available for expansion.

3) A synchronization device along likes of SMPTE slave driver or Digital Time Piece. May also have video i/o capabilities. The catch is, you need to have this particular $499 device to "unlock" the time code ruler functionality hid inside PTLE 5.1... =)

4) An extended MIDI i/o device with 8 in 8 out and maybe other stuff thrown in.

5) Inserts bank for the mic pres so we have a chance to compress and limit them before they hit the converters!

6)...any other ideas?
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 12-20-1999, 06:37 PM

sorry to desappoit.
It is a vulgar RS433 serial interface
Old 12-20-1999, 09:21 PM

The fact that cables and connectors are availble off the shelf doesn't mean squat about what could be passed through them...why is music sent through old telephone connectors? And why are some installations now sending audio across Cat 4 cables?

There is already a much wider cable connection to the computer for all the power and audio. This port is going to be used for something, regardless of pin format or even protocol. Why else would it be there? The computer already has ample serial ports.

Can I bet you that it's going to be used for something like one of the items I mentioned above? I won't be "desappoited", although I can be fairly vulgar.
Old 12-21-1999, 12:01 AM

Default serial port

hello hello. anybody know what the serial port above the computer connection is for? I do not see any documentation for it. thanks sioris.
Old 12-21-1999, 04:19 PM

PC serial port

Brad
Old 12-21-1999, 06:31 PM

Ha ha. I just got off the phone with a senior contact at digi. The expansion unit is going to be a real breakthrough in technology: They've invented a massage chair that hooks in through this otherwise innoculous looking port.

The breakthrough is, it only massages you when the music sounds good. This mixing biofeedback system, where good sound directly couples with a good feeling for the engineer, is the product of hundreds of burrito-fed grad student years at Stanford CCRMA.

(And since engineers who work on TDM systems are expected to already know how to get good sound, the system will only be available for the digi 001...)
Old 12-21-1999, 08:48 PM

Ahhh, but the electric chair is now only used in four of the fifty states. ;-)