Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
Yes like the look of that LS3, but as a Control 24 replacement it doesn't have the transport
I really doubt that the recording version of the LS3 won't have transport controls.

Quote:
or monitors controls and for those who use them the pre-amps (I have a rack full of much better pre-amps, so would be happy without them).
Good riddance. For a few hundred bucks you can replace al of the monitoring and you should kill yourself if you're using the preamps for serious work.

Quote:
Also supports the focus down to Eucon only strategy......
Which is a really good thing for the consumer. Better integration and no more dependence on one DAW.

Avid would have to think twice about leaving a controller in the dust when the competition is still using it. Although I doubt they would abandon a protocol as easily as a dedicated controller.

Quote:
Maybe there is a new controller on the horizon where they offer us guys such a great deal that we would stretch that little bit more. But with it being some way off they can't say right now.
If this new controller does come out, it will probably be a win win for most of you. You sell your Control 24 and buy this without losing too much in the process while ensuring a longer future.

Although, it might not fit the bill for the 24 fader Pro Control crowd.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

If this new controller does come out, it will probably be a win win for most of you. You sell your Control 24 and buy this without losing too much in the process while ensuring a longer future.
I don't wee this as a win win for our studio. I'd rather pay extra for a driver and keep my control24 since it it more or less the heart of my daily workflow. And nobody would buy a used control24 today, unless they wants to be stuck at old PT versions. But no one wants that. That is one of the reasons we go on here. We want to upgrade to PT11 but can't because a vital (and expensive) part of our workflow dies without any good reason.

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I really doubt that the recording version of the LS3 won't have transport controls.
I think "LS" stands for "Live Sound", and the impression I had was that this is purely for live / monitoring and if you want to record this you plug in a separate PT system which does it.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMartin View Post
I don't wee this as a win win for our studio.
If not a win-win, but at least a win-tie.

This is a live system that solves the "how do I monitor with zero latency using top notch plugins" problem, and it gives your recording system access to very same tracks that are being monitored.

Sure, it is a live system, but if you want to easily build several monitor feeds and simultaneously record that for later processing, then this is a win-win.

A slightly more expensive win-win than I expected (if you want 32 i/o) but still I can see this being very useful. Especially if HDN is going to be the new standard.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think "LS" stands for "Live Sound", and the impression I had was that this is purely for live / monitoring and if you want to record this you plug in a separate PT system which does it.

The word on the street is that there will soon be a separate version of this control surface made for studio use. I think that's what he was referring to.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The word on the street is that there will soon be a separate version of this control surface made for studio use. I think that's what he was referring to.
Yes. Although it's just a "best guess" at this point.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 PM

I don't really care if they have a new control surface coming soon. I sure as hell won't be buying it. Now let's not get off topic this is about trying to convince Avid to reconsider writing the drivers for the perfectly working control surfaces they have now.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Yes they need to bridge the gap......as already said there must be plenty of money in Control 24 or pro control driver sales of several million dollars if they release PT11 compatible versions.

So for a free driver maybe there is other priorities, but for the type of money we are talking about they could fund several guys for a few months and get it working. Then of course they would get the bigger PT11 hardware upgrades as well as the software, well in excess of $30million (5,000x$7,500)!! If they do the HDX with the I/O upgrade.

I'm assuming that the numbers quoted elsewhere are top options so the actual would be a bit lower. Even if it was only 1,000 it would still mean over $7million sales!!

If that is not enough then I'm lost to what they are about if it is not to make money!!

Cheers Scotsman
Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREED View Post
I don't really care if they have a new control surface coming soon. I sure as hell won't be buying it. Now let's not get off topic this is about trying to convince Avid to reconsider writing the drivers for the perfectly working control surfaces they have now.
+1

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM

I have a Procontrol that i love very much... I can't understand why Avid is killing an ethernet driver for a controller that have no real reason to ''not work'' in 64 bit. its a $$ big mouse $$ and it was made for protools only, Avid is killing it and there is no way i'm gonna buy an other one from them.

Sold my hd2 rig last year for the same reason, no ''real answer'' why they killed the ability to use our 192 i/o in native mode. so instead of making money with the upgrade from 9 to 10 (1k) , i sold my hd2 and bought a symphony io.

If they dont give a valid technical reason why they did this, instead of upgrading to 11 ( 999$ ), my next move after 15 years and 50k in Avid will be an other daw.

Still waiting for a real answer from Avid.