Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Default melodyne cre8 with PT 7- any users out there?

anyone using this.. Ijust picked it up and it promises to be an astounding peice of software but dummy that I am I can't figure out how to integrate it into my pt set up.
I'm running a 002r with a g5.
I've checked out the videos, done the faq and played around but it's just not apparent to my tiny brain how to use this with ease in my PT environment... any help would be appreciated of course..
cheers
sd
Old 12-29-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: melodyne cre8 with PT 7- any users out there?

Simple Answer and probably one you dont want - don't integrate it with PT use it as a standalone

Setup your PT template so you can quickly buss a few submixes to about 4 channels within PT and export these as wav files. Do the same with a comped vocal track/s

Import these files into melodyne and tweak your vox track. By limiting your imported tracks to 4/5 it gives you room within create to play around with some harmonies etc

Export your vox files from melodyne and back into PT send the good people at Celemony an thankful email for making you sound good and curse them for not limiting that power to the likes of Hilary Duff et al
Old 12-29-2005, 06:51 AM

pardon me but who is Hilary Duff ? Australian superstar or what ?? Maybe I should just get out more ?
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock
Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 PM

thanks for the info..you're right of course.. i really didn't want to have to do it this way.. but here goes untold hours learning yet another counter intuitive software package designed by geeks for geeks and who only speak geek.. and German geek at that...
I shouldn't trust those reviews in legit magazines who say that it intergartes seamlessly into PT huh?
thanks again.. have you used the midi function at all? I am really interested in converting audio files to midi files...that's why I bought it..
-s
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 AM

Quote:
pardon me but who is Hilary Duff ? Australian superstar or what ?? Maybe I should just get out more ?
No in this case i would stay in at all costs

I have toyed with the midi function and its quite cool but in a word 'fiddley' (if that is indeed a word)

I use melodyne for vox mainly and what ive noticed you need to take two approaches to pitch coreection and audio to midi. Its not a one size fits all

Vox tracks you typically only want to preserve as much of the origional performance as possible but you will end up with alot of 'transition' notes that you really don't want to pitch correct or there will be noticable artifacts. These nots are useless in a midi context because its a function of the human voice you want to preserve not entirely mix it to a grid etc. So i find the trick is do your normal vox edit for vox and then do another one where you goal is to clearly define the melody/harmony in complete notes (eliminating the transitions). This will make the vox sound like CRAP but the idea is to clearly define the notes for a midi track.

Goodluck with it - its not that hard to learn and they say version 3 is even easier
Old 12-30-2005, 01:24 PM

hmm. interesting.. btw the Hillary Duff quote wasn't me.. unfortunately I know who she is!!
So I've been messing around with it and your word fiddly fits the bill nicely..all the passing tones and transition notes that i do so effortlessly become seriously problematic when editing..I haven't figured out the MIDI thing yet.. but a few hundred more hours should see me well on the way to figuring this out...