Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Analog to Protools Transfer Problem

Hi y'all, beginning level Pro-Tools user (with a new MBox and PT 6.7), recently transferred 1/2 tape from a Fostex 16 track to a Mac g4 tower at a studio, and then we burned the PT files onto CDs which I loaded onto my G4 laptop. The problem is that playback of everything we transferred is fast-- about two semitones 50 cents high, give or take. Playback during original bounce to disk was normal. I tried using "pitch shift" to bring everything back down to the right tone, but it doesn't seem I can line up the tracks that way (they wander out of tempo--which they weren't on the fast playback). Someone said it's a time clock problem... but I have no specifics on how to fix. Have read reference guides and I don't see the issue addressed. HELP!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Analog to Protools Transfer Problem

Use SoundHack and change the sample rate in the audio files' headers to match the data sample rate. Since playback is fast.. you need to change the sample rate in the header from 44.1kHz to 48kHz.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 PM

thanks for that Rail... I thought sample rate might have been the issue too, but it doesn't seem to be. I was there when we did the transfers/bouncing, and we definitely hit 48. On my powerbook running PT, the source and default match at 48... and remain mystified that I can't remedy this with a simple pitch shift... Maybe the problem was in the studio at the moment we transfered tape... but playback was fine as we bounced... or maybe the problem was burning the CD on the Mac at the studio... seems more and more like there's no other solution than to re-transfer and bounce everything all over again. Which is a pain, since the tapes are in California and I'm in New Mexico!
thanks anyway though--
R
Old 06-16-2005, 11:08 PM

Your issue is guaranteed to be a miconfigured external sample rate mismatch.. your Pro Tools session was created as a 44.1kHz session.. and your external clock source was set to 48kHz.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••