Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 AM

Default Hang on initial installation 7.3

Yer basic hang. I have a window that says 'installing' and it hangs forever. I click cancel and there is an infinite hourglass. The only way to cut it is with the task manager (in XP). I am reinstalling after the ASIO driver was interfering with my Ableton Live. Now Ableton is working again, fine.

Appreciated.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Hang on initial installation 7.3

I know, not a very sexy question, but can anybody help?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:00 PM

bump
Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Avid

Help Us Help You - READ THIS before posting
Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 AM

Here's some specs. (below).

Not much more information I can give. I have a decent machine. I was running PTLE 7.3 and uninstalled it because there was some sort of interference with Ableton. Ableton wouldn't start because it said it was trying to find the Digi midi driver even though I was using the PCI sound card at the time. When I try to reinstall it, the wizard simply hangs at the end of the green progress bar. I tried uninstalling my PCI Asio driver and then installing PT first. No go.

Mainboard : Intel DP35DP
Chipset : Intel G31/G33/G35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hard Disk : ST3250410AS (250 GB)
Hard Disk : ST3500320AS (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202N
DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0001
Monitor Type : ViewSonic VX2255wm-2 - 22 inches
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (December 2007)

What other information can I provide?

P.S: You might consider a more resourceful way to ask a client (albeit a modest one) for more info. I don't have to remind you of the fairly lukewarm reputation digi has in the area of customer relations. I also have tried emailing tech support directly. That ticket is almost a week old as well and I gave them the same information you asked for. No response in two days from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Avid

How could this be any more resourceful? We directed you to a link that spells out exactly what we need with a minimum of time and effort on our part, allowing us to attend to more customers who are asking for help.

If you have suggestions on how this could be improved, please let us know - we're always open to suggestions.

As for your problems - since you either did not read the post we referred you to or overlooked what it was asking for, it's difficult to say what the problem may be. You did not provide the Sandra report that was requested, nor do we even know which Digidesign hardware you're using.

Which of the troubleshooting steps have you done, if any?

You could try using the Pro Tools Uninstaller to completely remove Pro Tools from your system and try the install again.

One thing that I do see about your system that may be problematic is the chipset - G series (G31/33/35) have been known to be problematic with Pro Tools. You seem to have a dedicated graphics card, which is good, as that gives it the most likely chances to work properly. Systems with integrated or shared graphics tend not to work at all.

I know you're probably looking for a quick solution, however without the necessary info and at least some effort on your part to go through the troubleshooting we've already provided, this is just going to take longer. It's in your best interest to read through all the information and furnish us with the information necessary to properly troubleshoot your system and issues.

I'm looking into your direct tech support request. It appears you're in Korea, which means those get forwarded to our Asia/Pacific group, so it may take awhile to find out the status.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 AM

I'll email you offline regarding my suggestions. As for the hang on installation, I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability.

I am using a digi 002. I am trying to run a Sandra report. It has been running for several hours and hangs on system processes at 66%. No error messages and the animation continues to move (not frozen). I don't know why, but my comptuer has been running flawlessly besides the Pro Tools and Sandra (including Ableton with my PCI soundcard).

I have successfully run PTLE 7.3 on this computer without issue and have not changed the configuration.
I went through the troubleshooter and have done the following:

Compatibility:

- Verify your computer is supported and that your system meets all of the minimum requirements.

Verify that you have the Minimum/Suggested amount of RAM installed in your system. You can find this information in Control Panel > System > General.

Setup:

Disable device drivers

Disable System Startup Items and Services

Delete DAE and Pro Tools preference files

Delete the Digidesign Databases folders for all hard drives

Update the PACE drivers to the latest version

Remove any unnecessary USB/FW devices[/i] or any other extraneous hardware and then restart the CPU

Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
I am using a digi 002. I am trying to run a Sandra report. It has been running for several hours and hangs on system processes at 66%
If the Sandra report is also hanging, this could mean some kind of OS corruption. Do you have a Ghost or TrueImage backup of your system you could revert to?

One other thing to try would be to create a new administrator account, sign into it and try running Sandra again. It may be something specific to your current account causing the problems.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM

I considered the OS problem, and yes I have a backup system I can implement if necessary, but if my OS was corrupted, wouldn't I be seeing all sorts of issues elsewhere in my system? I have been running Ableton Live flawlessy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If the Sandra report is also hanging, this could mean some kind of OS corruption. Do you have a Ghost or TrueImage backup of your system you could revert to?

One other thing to try would be to create a new administrator account, sign into it and try running Sandra again. It may be something specific to your current account causing the problems.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Avid

Quote:
I considered the OS problem, and yes I have a backup system I can implement if necessary, but if my OS was corrupted, wouldn't I be seeing all sorts of issues elsewhere in my system? I have been running Ableton Live flawlessy.
Not necessarily - it would depend on what's corrupt and which applications are calling out he corrupt component.