Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-15-2019, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElight AudioMedia View Post
So - in the past twelve months (since 10/11/2018) we have now received one actual update (2019.5) and three "bug fix" updates. I'm an Ultimate user (as are many of you) and pay $400/year to stay current, it would be great to at least have some communication from Avid to let us know what we can expect coming down the pipe in return for our hard-earned money. I know it's a common complaint around here but it's frustrating to say the least.
Spot on!

They won’t get another penny from me unless this situation changes by the time my renewal is due.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 10-15-2019, 01:16 AM

I am now out of coverage for the first time. It expired Sunday. I feel happy and free, but also scared. Like standing on a tall rock. I have the security line of yet another few weeks to change my mind (grace period) safely attached to my belt but I hope I have the courage to disconnect that as well. I have the money to pay for updates and I always install the latest version of everything, but I am sick of the bad deal we are getting. I figure that if we do not show Avid that we do not accept the bad model of paying in advance for undisclosed features and bug fixes (which should be free - hell they should be paying me to put up with them for years) there’s no way they will rethink the model. I want the old model back, where you paid if and when there were new features that you wanted. It came out muuuuuuch cheaper for us and gave Avid an incentive to actually come up with good stuff. Or at the very least split updates and support into different plans. I never contact support.

Phone +46707773443
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
Thanks buddy, more & more people I know are using it saying the great things about Studio One. Avid keep shooting themselves in the foot with their money grabbing, not fulfilling ways.
I also got the crossgrade to Studio One. I loved some of the features like the pipeline where you can wet/dry mix hardware inserts and automatically calculates the delay compensation.

The only thing really missing for my workflow is the lack of proper import session data. If that was on par with PT I'd jump across straight away. I'm just waiting until it's implemented.

I would miss Massey DRT though
Old 10-15-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
I am now out of coverage for the first time. It expired Sunday. I feel happy and free, but also scared. Like standing on a tall rock. I have the security line of yet another few weeks to change my mind (grace period) safely attached to my belt but I hope I have the courage to disconnect that as well. I have the money to pay for updates and I always install the latest version of everything, but I am sick of the bad deal we are getting. I figure that if we do not show Avid that we do not accept the bad model of paying in advance for undisclosed features and bug fixes (which should be free - hell they should be paying me to put up with them for years) there’s no way they will rethink the model. I want the old model back, where you paid if and when there were new features that you wanted. It came out muuuuuuch cheaper for us and gave Avid an incentive to actually come up with good stuff. Or at the very least split updates and support into different plans. I never contact support.

I feel you. Like 100%. I'm a complete geek and gearslut, always trying to be on the cutting edge of technology. So having 'older' software just makes me feel uncomfortable and yes, this is 110% irrational I bought the academic Version of Pro Tools 12 (non HD) and my support plan expired August 2018, so the last Version I have access to is 2018.7. Fortunately there's no reinstatement 'penalty' for academic versions, which helps to keep my impatience at bay. I'm also just a hobbyist (= I don't have a business and my income does not depend on it) and Windows-User (= much less fear about OS updates breaking compatibility) so ymmv. But what can I say, 2018.7 has been pretty solid for me since then and my initial fear of 'lagging behind' has mostly vanished
Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancychris View Post
I also got the crossgrade to Studio One. I loved some of the features like the pipeline where you can wet/dry mix hardware inserts and automatically calculates the delay compensation.

The only thing really missing for my workflow is the lack of proper import session data. If that was on par with PT I'd jump across straight away. I'm just waiting until it's implemented.

I would miss Massey DRT though
Thanks for your feedback.

I would expect the odd functionality compromise but all in all Studio One offers a massive amount of value or bang for our buck as well regular updates, bug fixes and more importantly listening to the users...... which is awesome!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Studio One, is not the cure to Pro Tools "disease", that Avid has caused with their sub model and luck of development.

But Presonus is listening to their customers, are not greedy and with the following versions, will short the gap between the two DAWs faster than we think. Will it replace PT? It depends, for music production definitely, for post, maybe in version 6 or 7...who knows. The thing is, that there is an alternative option for Pro Tools "refugees"!

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
for post, maybe in version 6 or 7...who knows. The thing is, that there is an alternative option for Pro Tools "refugees"!
Cheers!
The more I mix Post with Nuendo, the more I like it...

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM

http://www.avidblogs.com/pro-tools-2...kEC2oAg732WScQ
Old 10-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post

Wow! They’ve been busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
The more I mix Post with Nuendo, the more I like it...

tg
Maybe cause Nuendo is a very capable and popular Post Daw and I know many using it before PT.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————