Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 12:55 PM

Default Re: DigiLink I/O thing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Unfortunately, the end user having a license is the only way to stop unlicensed hardware from being used.
Unlicensed hardware ? Is this a joke ? I never heard of such a thing. No one would do that, and even if they did all it would mean is more/broader sales for Avid.

Its not software, its hardware. I can't think of one company that ever made a HD/HDX interface without Avid's permission ahead of time, thats what patents are for, and any company that tries would be sued with a big lawsuit. I/O ability is a software thing, not a hardware thing (in this case we speak of). They should not worry if someone else makes a vehicle, cause they are into selling the brain and sometimes gas (DSP) that the vehicle needs to operate. And what they get from that brain and gas is PLENTY to overly compensate for any other small sideline issues happening with other vehicle companies.

Quote:
Of course 3rd party vendor could compensate it by lowering prices.
True ! And they should. But again, not if they paid Avid already for the ability to use the port in their design. Why should they, it actually should be more expensive cause they need to re-coup.

LOL, Funny, I am beginning to think you work for Avid cause you are overly supporting the communist pricing protocols with them, YET at same time saying another company should be lowering their prices ?

Really Avid and the other companies BOTH should be lowering their prices.

Quote:
This is just 101 course on competition; Avid has the interface it controls, sells interfaces and others sell compatible interfaces, so Avid is just securing their ability to compete.
They were doing just fine before all this. I honestly even liked every aspect of the company better a while ago. The website is intolerable now. Feel like I'm at a doctors or dentist office, or some politicians website, not a place where badd ass musicians go. It just don't have that vibe, it doesn't cater to the people it sells to anymore. They went backwards IMO.

I like their software, used it since day one. All their hardware (except their DSP cards of course) sucks. They never should have tried the hardware game IMO. Just like hardware companies shouldn't get into the software game. Jack of all trades = Master of none. You're best at something when thats literally all you do, eat breathe sleep it. Everyone should do that one thing god put them on the planet for and thats it. Quit trying to branch out and then eventually suck at everything. lol

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone"

Quote:
If a better quality 3rd party interface plus digilink license price is less than Avid interface with digilink license included then by all means buy the better option.
It won't be less of course. But yea, thats what I do. Cause it is better, not because it is less. (The MTRX is cool , but they failed me with DB25 connections for the analog paths, another way the world is headed which is inferior thinking) - Anyway --

The summary is, the price of Ultimate software is through the roof for what it is now a days, the price of the cards are pretty substantial too. THESE costs should give me my physical I/O no matter what vehicle I chose to drive them around in. That should be none of their concern. IF and only IF someone purchased their $2,600 software and $3,600 Card (each !) !! These costs SHOULD be covering any and all licensing, compensations, etc.. they are extraordinary for what they do.

I'm not asking to pirate their software. I/O is physical, so moot. Don't sell me a inflated price software that doesn't do what its suppose to unless I also fork over more money. Again I/O IS the only purpose of Ultimate.

Let me use your analogy but fix it to apply correctly -

Thats like me telling someone I will mix their song for $xxxx. And lets say that price is way more than anyone else is charging, but I tell them, that price is because my mix is the best for sure and it will accommodate the song best and furthermore has the ability to sell more copies (sell more copies here = extra I/O). So then they say ok, lets do it. There was no argument, the mix was indeed the best !

THEN after the mix is done and they begin to print the CD, I say, actually, I want a little more if you want to print over 32 copies, BUT as long as you only print 32 copies I don't need any more.

The physical copies have NOTHING to do with me on gear that has nothing to do with me. Though my proprietary mix is combined in with the things that have nothing to do with me, sure, but I was paid handsomely for my work. I just decide to make more money, I will limit the amount of copies they can print of my proprietary mix of THEIR song that I got handsomely paid for in the first place.

Come on. Its just not right no matter how you try to slice it.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM

You just don't get it.

Proprietary port is Avid's intellectual property. It has been reverse-engineered and Avid put a stop to it. Nothing wrong in asking the end user a license to use their DigiLink.

Nothing in this life comes free you know...
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
The summary is, the price of Ultimate software is through the roof
Ultimate software has nothing to do with DigiLink ports. You can use Ultimate software with any hardware. DigiLink port is only used with HD and HDN and HDX hardware. And since 12.6 you need to have a license. Not so hard to understand for most.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Come on. Its just not right no matter how you try to slice it.
If you really stress your brain cell you might eventually get it why it is just so right.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I'm not asking to pirate their software. I/O is physical, so moot.
No, but you are asking to pirate their hardware. We are not talking about age old 1/4 inch phone connector here
Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Really Avid and the other companies BOTH should be lowering their prices.
Wouldn't we all love that. What could go wrong? Apart from Avid CEO getting lower bonuses... Are you the only person on earth that has not heard Avid has been in financial trouble lately? Lowering prices would really help, I'm sure. But hey, I have only done university mathematics, what would I know.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No, but you are asking to pirate their hardware. We are not talking about age old 1/4 inch phone connector here
No, I guess its your brain cells that need to stress.

that hardware ABILITY I purchased via buying a HDX card. Thats where they got their licensing fee. But they say they need more. I don't agree. Its that simple.

Nothing in life is free. So $15,000 for a system is free ?

I see your point, but my point is ANYTHING you try to justify they need for their proprietary invention I pay for within the price of their software and HDX hardware. My point is that is the WHOLE purpose of Ultimate and HDX. Extra I/O.

Can you please name these companies that reverse engineered their ports without their permission and got away with any sales for a period of time ? Lets start there.

I've been in this game a while and buy things like crazy and have been a Digidesign fan from day one so I search for things like that, and I never recalled any of this.

Last but not least, if it really was to punish these phantom reverse engineers, then why punish the end user. They could have invented the license as they did and just give it away for free to anyone who purchases official Avid Ultimate software, untransferable, so this way no reverse engineers stuff would work if purchased and no end user punished.

So with that said its 100% for sure its something about money from the customer too, cause there was a way to fix the phantom problem without it costing us.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-24-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
that hardware ABILITY I purchased via buying a HDX card
Nope. You bought a card that has given you a possibility to use DigiLink interfaces. The ability to actually use the ports comes from the DigiLink license.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Nothing in life is free. So $15,000 for a system is free?
System has the DigiLink license included.

Card is a card, license is a license, software is a software, interface is an interface. Combine all of them and you have a system. Capiche?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I see your point, but
... still ranting?