How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Default Re: How to protect XLR outs?

Roland!

Been waiting for you to do that vid! I'm still interested in your findings. I will definitely keep my eyes open for everything you mentioned....that is, if I don't fall asleep in the process of waiting :)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Cool Re: How to protect XLR outs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Roland!

Been waiting for you to do that vid! I'm still interested in your findings. I will definitely keep my eyes open for everything you mentioned....that is, if I don't fall asleep in the process of waiting :)
well i DO have a recording made but it is very shall we say full of engineers dissing each other after consuming way way too much of MY DAMN BEER the cretins so it's rather clammy. but i should have replacements this mnth so i have the write up almost done. BUT a kid in a robotics class i am mentoring dropped a nasty trojan on me so i am locked out at the moment from MY user files (took my admin rights and .pst .pab's too..

he is going to fry when i go up there again....the parking lot talk is coming.

Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame. Bright suns may scorch and dark clouds lower, It's flash is still the same.
-Lydia Maria Child
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Shaak View Post
well i DO have a recording made but it is very shall we say full of engineers dissing each other after consuming way way too much of MY DAMN BEER the cretins so it's rather clammy. but i should have replacements this mnth so i have the write up almost done. BUT a kid in a robotics class i am mentoring dropped a nasty trojan on me so i am locked out at the moment from MY user files (took my admin rights and .pst .pab's too..

he is going to fry when i go up there again....the parking lot talk is coming.
although i do need to look at an HD 500 too to supplement my 11r's

Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame. Bright suns may scorch and dark clouds lower, It's flash is still the same.
-Lydia Maria Child
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
although i do need to look at an HD 500 too to supplement my 11r's
Don't waste your time.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Don't waste your time.

garbage?

-Lydia Maria Child
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
garbage?
I wouldn't go so far to say that it's garbage.

I got an HD500 for a couple weeks, I hoped it would be an improvement over 11r, after all Line6 are one of the originators and innovators in the field, and 11r has been out for a while now. I've never owned anything Line6 that stuck around (except for a GuitarPort), and the HD500 was no exception.

The hardware definitely has the potential, but in practice the whole thing comes up short. There is no way to control the poweramp emulation except turning it off completely...either it's cranked up all the way or completely off. I found models like the JCM800 to be almost unusable with the poweramp sim on...too muddy and inarticulate. I had some issues with USB, it was very unstable and would cut out on a semi-regular basis. The AC adaptor sucks, theres no power switch...I could go on, unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
Probably the simplest solution is to get a pair of XLR to balanced 1/4" cables, and run into a standard line input on the mixer rather than XLR's.
Well this really suck cause I just have ordered a Eleven Rack + 2 XLR > XLR cables for connection to my Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO Mixer.

I also use Phantom powered mikes so I can't turn the phantom power off !
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 AM

I don't get this...

Mics have XLR male outputs that connect to an XLR female connector on the cable. The other end of the cable has an XLR male connector that goes into an XLR female connector going into the input on the preamp, line in, whatever.

Basically, you're going out of a male, which is inserted into a female (sound familiar?).

In order to connect a device having phantom power on the output to the output on an 11 Rack you would need an XLR female to XLR female cable. I'm sure they exist, but I've never had occasion to use one (perhaps they're used on some type of older gear).

While anything can happen, it would seem that it would be a bit tough to put phantom power on the 11 Racks XLR male outputs...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-13-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I don't get this...

Mics have XLR male outputs that connect to an XLR female connector on the cable. The other end of the cable has an XLR male connector that goes into an XLR female connector going into the input on the preamp, line in, whatever.

Basically, you're going out of a male, which is inserted into a female (sound familiar?).

In order to connect a device having phantom power on the output to the output on an 11 Rack you would need an XLR female to XLR female cable. I'm sure they exist, but I've never had occasion to use one (perhaps they're used on some type of older gear).

While anything can happen, it would seem that it would be a bit tough to put phantom power on the 11 Racks XLR male outputs...
I don't think you are on the same page, but if you are forgive me.

XLR inputs for the MIXER board are female, and provide phantom power. The issue is whether or not the output of the eleven rack will be damaged by the input of the mixer board providing phantom power.

A Mic has male outputs, like the 11R. The mic receives Phantom power from the input of the mixer Just like how the 11R Mic input provides phantom power.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Is phantom power really an issue with the 11R? I don't ever think about it and use the XLR outs all the time. That seems like an antiquated concern. I thought Phantom Power issues went away with old ribbon microphones. Should I be concerned?