Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Carpal tunnel & trackballs

For those that have read my posts when people ask about mice you'll remember I talk about using the Kensington Expert Mouse which is really a big trackball with a large scroll ring and 4 'buttons' and the wheel. I love it because it lessens the problems I have due to my arthritis. That and I don't have the room for a mouse pad and mouse. A mouse would give me a less of a positional problem with my hand/wrist.

Well every silver lining has a cloud. Mine is due to the way my wrist/hand sits on the pad that attaches to the device it puts an angle on my wrist and has now contributed to carpal tunnel issues with my right hand. First noticed a tingling in my thumb and next two fingers that would go away after a while. Recently though it's not totally going away but always lingers to some extent. Hello carpal tunnel syndrome

There's no comfortable way with the limited room I have to get more ergonomic. I know I could go lefty with a mouse but there's still the lack of space issue. And I'm not too enthused with the surgery that would be needed. I've a relative that had the surgery and even after a couple of years of therapy and meds she's still not right and it never really cured the CT.

Reasonable ideas anyone?

QAPLA!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Carpal tunnel & trackballs

Hi Jack

I really hope you can get back to normal, without resorting to surgery.
Evidently the operation has worked for some – but has left others worse off. Beware!
Please ask locally and Google it heaps.

Do you use the detachable wrist rest?
http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content...-trackball.jpg

The Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball Mouse has a “ramp”
http://www.boundlessat.com/Keyboards...rackball-Mouse

Even supporting your wrist with a small wedge of hard foam might minimize strain.

Squeeze Balls:
https://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-I.../dp/B01FYMV822

Emu Oil:
Perceived as quackery by some – yet others swear by it.
Google “emu oil carpal tunnel syndrome” for more info.

Obvious, but possibly overlooked:
Maximize Keyboard Shortcuts to minimize Mouse usage.

Repetitive Strain Injuries need rest and rehabilitation.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 PM

DO NOT SO THE SURGERY!!!

Be patient, there is also some good Youtube Video's out there of a Doctor that goes through exercises, stretches, massages you can do to rid yourself of it.

I have it frequently, and it aways goes away, but you have to stop doing the things that cause it for a while. For me the last time, it was playing guitar, which was very hard for me to stop, but I did, and it went away a month later. Sucks, but a much better than surgery which can make things a great deal worse!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-25-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Hi Jack

I really hope you can get back to normal, without resorting to surgery.
Evidently the operation has worked for some – but has left others worse off. Beware!
Please ask locally and Google it heaps.

Do you use the detachable wrist rest?
http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content...-trackball.jpg

The Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball Mouse has a “ramp”
http://www.boundlessat.com/Keyboards...rackball-Mouse

Even supporting your wrist with a small wedge of hard foam might minimize strain.

Squeeze Balls:
https://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-I.../dp/B01FYMV822

Emu Oil:
Perceived as quackery by some – yet others swear by it.
Google “emu oil carpal tunnel syndrome” for more info.

Obvious, but possibly overlooked:
Maximize Keyboard Shortcuts to minimize Mouse usage.

Repetitive Strain Injuries need rest and rehabilitation.
I do use the detachable rest. I think it's the hardness of it in addition to the angle that's aggravating things. Maybe if I had something like the memory foam that's in my new mattress?

I've tried the Orbit but never got on with the trackball action it had.

Those squeeze balls look interesting; I guess an Amazon order is going to be in my near future.

Thanks for the tip on emu oil. I'm a big fan of supplements and such as alternative therapies. That's what helped me when I got out of the hospital 10 years ago after my cancer surgery. Worked such that I didn't have to do chemo or radiation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
DO NOT SO THE SURGERY!!!

Be patient, there is also some good Youtube Video's out there of a Doctor that goes through exercises, stretches, massages you can do to rid yourself of it.

I have it frequently, and it aways goes away, but you have to stop doing the things that cause it for a while. For me the last time, it was playing guitar, which was very hard for me to stop, but I did, and it went away a month later. Sucks, but a much better than surgery which can make things a great deal worse!!!!
I'm definitely not doing the surgery especially at my age (65+). Older people tend not to recover that well and I've heard too many stories from people and sources I respect that say the improvements if any were marginal.

I'll take a cruise through YouTube to see what I come up with.

Good to hear that it can go away - that gives me hope. Playing keys (I have a synth action keyboard) isn't too bad but the drums and guitars with the wrist action are the worst. This could explain why sometimes I have difficulty holding on to a pick - losing that sense of touch. And I'll have to change my knife handling skills in the kitchen as well (I do like 90% of the cooking) - I'm no Iron Chef but my wife likes my cooking.

At least for computer work I can go lefty with a regular mouse. There's only so much key combos and shortcuts can do though. The hardest thing till be selecting audio or MIDI stuff.

Thanks for the replies and I'll let you know how things progress.

QAPLA!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:41 AM

This what works for me:
1. Using the Kensington trackball and after a few days I switch back to mouse for one day, then back to trackball.
2. Daily exercises, strech, etc.
3. Using the ball mentioned above.

I don't say it's completely gone, but I'm able to work without interruption and pain. Sometimes I feel it, but that's not so bad. One important thing is to do the exercises even if you're not working that day.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 AM

I don't have the pain as much as I have the tingly sensation in my fingers which comes and goes in severity. Pain and I are old friends sadly so unless it prevents me from doing something I kind of ignore it. I might take an Advil or two on bad days; I don't want to turn into a Dr. House (TV show in the US) and get hooked on opoid pain killers.

Have found some good rehab exercises on YouTube. What I like is that with the exception of the ones that use the stress balls there's no equipment needed. Can do some of them sitting down watching TV if I want to. And as far as doing the exercises every day my wife will remind/ask me if I've done them yet - she good that way.

QAPLA!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM

FWIW - this brought great relief after wearing it for a month (even at night):

https://www.hely-weber.com/upper-ext...s-434-444.html

It has been my lifesaver - ultimately, no surgery.
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 04-25-2017, 03:59 PM

I also recommend switching back and forth if you are at risk. For me, despite how many out there extol the Kensington Trackball, I hate it I use a Logitech Marble(the small one where you use your thumb on the ball) for home use, but a fairly standard Logitech Mouse is my go-to on PT. I have the Kensington nearby if someone else needs it, but I don't use it much myself

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-26-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
FWIW - this brought great relief after wearing it for a month (even at night):

https://www.hely-weber.com/upper-ext...s-434-444.html

It has been my lifesaver - ultimately, no surgery.
Which one did you use - the long or the short one? I have something similar like the short one but from another manufacturer. I've only used mine (I have both the right & left hand ones) as a wrist support at times.

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I also recommend switching back and forth if you are at risk. For me, despite how many out there extol the Kensington Trackball, I hate it I use a Logitech Marble(the small one where you use your thumb on the ball) for home use, but a fairly standard Logitech Mouse is my go-to on PT. I have the Kensington nearby if someone else needs it, but I don't use it much myself
As I wrote I have the Kensington one you write of and I think that's what really aggravated my CTS. I love it for the way the trackball feels to me and all the buttons - BTW with the newer driver it looks like you can program the four buttons application specific.

The Logitech Marble is a finger operated trackball (it's in the middle of the device between the buttons). The new one has 4 buttons and the older one I have has just two. Or do you have the Trackball M750 (that's the new one)? That has a thumb operated trackball - have that one as well.

When you talk about switching back and forth are you talking about going from righty to lefty and back every so often? That I can do (being a drummer kind of helps with ambidextrousness).

I've seen a couple of vertical mice and this device from Penquin: http://www.posturite.co.uk/penguin-mouse.html Anybody have thoughts on these? As I wrote I don't have a lot of space and it seems like these devices need a rather large mouse pad. And that brings up a question: do modern laser rodentis even need a pad anymore? My wife uses a Logitech corded laser mouse and it really needed a pad for good tracking. Table top in that case is black and at my music setup it's a light grey (if that matters). Expense I won't get into because this is my hand health I'm talking about. If it'll help that's something I can get into.

At least with my ham radio & Morse code I use my left hand to send code with either a straight key or a bug so the CTS in my right hand isn't an issue there.

QAPLA!