Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM

Default Pro Tools Crash on Save/Autosave

Hello,
This new problem popped up recently that I have no explanation for it.

A crash occurs sometimes when I save and sometimes when Autosave occurs in the background.

The file that it is saving (then crashing) always ends up as a 20kb file. but is broken. I still have my original session file (that is old). It happens about 1/5 of my saves.

Troubleshooting:

I have repaired permissions
Trashed all prefs
read crash logs to no avail.
Turned off autosave (Still happens on save once and a while)
paused dropbox

I know this seems like a small problem, but it is pretty much killing my business right now.

I am printing files with major label people in my room and then. plump. crash.

no cracked plugs, no apps running in the background.

Focusrite interface with Lavry blue connected on a Mac Pro Processor 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Crash on Save/Autosave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillySoulzition View Post
Hello,
This new problem popped up recently that I have no explanation for it.

A crash occurs sometimes when I save and sometimes when Autosave occurs in the background.

The file that it is saving (then crashing) always ends up as a 20kb file. but is broken. I still have my original session file (that is old). It happens about 1/5 of my saves.

Troubleshooting:

I have repaired permissions
Trashed all prefs
read crash logs to no avail.
Turned off autosave (Still happens on save once and a while)
paused dropbox

I know this seems like a small problem, but it is pretty much killing my business right now.

I am printing files with major label people in my room and then. plump. crash.

no cracked plugs, no apps running in the background.

Focusrite interface with Lavry blue connected on a Mac Pro Processor 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Hi,

First thing to check and change if possible is the hard drive! Do you have another hard drive you can create a new session on and test from there? To rule out any drive issues that are starting.

Do you have any VI's in the session? Specifically any instruments or plugins that load audio sounds from the hard drive? Samplers, drum replacement etc?

Check your save path! Does your session names, drive or partitions have any illegal characters in them? £&@ etc.

Are 100% certain ALL plugins are compatible and up to date!

Is the computer connected to a network?

Any other devices connected to the computer? USB FireWire drives, USB sticks etc?

Try to strip the system back to as little as possible, disconnect anything not needed to test with.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 AM

Pretty sure your root cause is different from an issue I was having, but wondering what version of PT you are using.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:10 AM

Hey Guys,
Pro Tools 10.3.8

This is in a mastering set up so the only thing I am using is audio processing.

It usually happens right after I print a file to another track and the computer is doing a waveform creation.
I have mix sessions on the same drive without the issue. I think the problem stems from when I am printing a 5 minute file to another track.
When the track gets finished it tries to draw the waveform and do the autosave that was triggered during the recording and it crashes. It happens when I click save as well, however save as does not cuase the problem.

It seems to happen when two operations are going at once i.e. playback and save, wave overview creation and save, autosave and waveform creation.

Very frustrating.

Any other ideas?
Avid? I have seen other post about this problem to no avail.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,
Pro Tools 10.3.8

This is in a mastering set up so the only thing I am using is audio processing.

It usually happens right after I print a file to another track and the computer is doing a waveform creation.
I have mix sessions on the same drive without the issue. I think the problem stems from when I am printing a 5 minute file to another track.
When the track gets finished it tries to draw the waveform and do the autosave that was triggered during the recording and it crashes. It happens when I click save as well, however save as does not cuase the problem.

It seems to happen when two operations are going at once i.e. playback and save, wave overview creation and save, autosave and waveform creation.

Very frustrating.

Any other ideas?
Avid? I have seen other post about this problem to no avail.
Hi,

Autosave doesn't work when the transport is runnig. so does it happen soon after the transport stops?

what about the crash log? user / library/ logs / crash reporter

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Thanks. I will pull a crash log, but I read through logs in the past and could not find anything relevant. I will post one later today.

Yes, it happens directly after the transport stops.

I think I found something interesting. When PT crashes it always creates a 20kb bad session called (sbsosfnsofghso.ptf) or something to that effect.

When you save, PT normally creates a separate file (with the above gibberish name) saves and then replaces the proper session file with the proper name and then deletes the file with the above gibberish name. Well, thats what happens when I watch my project folder and hit save. I believe this is done so that PT does not corrupt session files.

However, PT seems to crash when it tries to replace original file with the newly saved file. I am always left with a gibberish 20kb pro tools file that does not work.

So, I turned off Autosave and only performed "save as" every time I needed to. I would never just hit save. This eleviated the problem, but is not a solution. I never had the problem once when working in this manor.

The problem seems to stem from when PT tries to replace the session file from the 20kb file.

Does that make sense?

Ill report the crash log later.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I will pull a crash log, but I read through logs in the past and could not find anything relevant. I will post one later today.

I think I found something interesting. When PT crashes it always creates a 20kb bad session called (sbsosfnsofghso.ptf) or something to that effect.

When you save, PT normally creates a separate file (with the above gibberish name) saves and then replaces the proper session file with the proper name and then deletes the file with the above gibberish name. Well, thats what happens when I watch my project folder and hit save. I believe this is done so that PT does not corrupt session files.

However, PT seems to crash when it tries to replace original file with the newly saved file. I am always left with a gibberish 20kb pro tools file that does not work.

So, I turned off Autosave and only performed "save as" every time I needed to. I would never just hit save. This eleviated the problem, but is not a solution. I never had the problem once when working in this manor.

The problem seems to stem from when PT tries to replace the session file from the 20kb file.

Does that make sense?

When I had this problem with PT10.3.2 it turned out to be a drive going bad.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 AM

Same here.

Lacie 7200 rpm external.
I tried everything else for a month.
Drive finally ate it.
Problem over.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Same here.

Lacie 7200 rpm external.
I tried everything else for a month.
Drive finally ate it.
Problem over.
For me it was a less than month old Glyph GPT50 external drive that went south. Thankfully warranty replacement was no problem (and my data was on the new drive ).

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Does that make sense?

I am having this exact same problem, did you narrow it down or was it the disk drives as suggested here ? thanks