Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Eleven Rack won't boot, component damage

Hello, I have an avid elevenrack that does not boot. It turns on and hits the logo splash screen and goes no further. I tried holding the FX and Rev buttons during boot to do a software reset but had no luck.

There is an internal component damaged: inductor T2 on the 9150-58702-00 board for the AES/EBU in/out ports. Could this be the cause of the stalled booting? Or is there potentially something else at work. Disconnecting the cable to that entire board causes no change.

If this is potentially the cause, where could I order a replacement board?

Also, there's a tiny wire soldered between a processor pin and a resistor nearby on the main board. I'm assuming that was a design defect fixed in manufacturing (a trace accidentally not connected on the board design) and not a previous owner mucking about?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-09-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack won't boot, component damage

I doubt an inductor on the AES/EBU board is going to cause problems. And your test of unplugging it likely shows that is not it.

Many electronic failures are power supply or connector related. Check voltages on the boards and try wiggling/checking all the connectors. That's basic stuff, anything more is unlikely to be worth the effort.

There was rework wiring on the boards I've seen.

You can't buy official spare parts and nobody is parting these things out AFAIK. You can buy a used Eleven Rack in eBay or similar for a few hundred dollars. That is likely your best move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, it isn't an electrical failure on that inductor instead it just appears it broke apart, the top half with the coiled wire separate from the base.

I agree it seems unlikely to be the cause, unless there's a self test in the boot up that tries to hand shake with something on that board. Someone with a working one could remove the cable and confirm but I agree that seems like it wouldn't be the problem.

Also, there's no electrical damage that I can see anywhere internally. So assuming it's an unrelated software issue, where would I start next? Can firmware updates be flashed to these? Will the SW1 and SW2 on the board itself help fully reset things?

I was actually given it for free, so I'm mostly curious what night be possible to get it running again.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSean View Post
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, it isn't an electrical failure on that inductor instead it just appears it broke apart, the top half with the coiled wire separate from the base.

I agree it seems unlikely to be the cause, unless there's a self test in the boot up that tries to hand shake with something on that board. Someone with a working one could remove the cable and confirm but I agree that seems like it wouldn't be the problem.

Also, there's no electrical damage that I can see anywhere internally. So assuming it's an unrelated software issue, where would I start next? Can firmware updates be flashed to these? Will the SW1 and SW2 on the board itself help fully reset things?

I was actually given it for free, so I'm mostly curious what night be possible to get it running again.
Not booting is a Eleven Rack death problem reported before by some users, enough that there may have been a design or manufacturing problem but I doubt anybody here who can say has any idea. If it won't boot you can't reflash the software, and nobody knows it that is even related to a problem. Did you check the power supply and voltages at the components?

Toss it and get a new one.