Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 AM

Default A way to find out the authorization code?

Hi all,

One of the studios I work with has a MIX 24 system with 888 & 882 hardware that they bought from another studio a few years ago. On this system v 6.2.2 is installed on OS 10.3. Now I want to just trash everything and start from scratch and install v 6.4.1 (I also need to install OS 10.3.9 so the system is compatible with an external Lacie DVD burner).

The thing is, when they bought the system, they did not get the authorization code from the studio that sold it to them, the system was already working. Is there a way to find out the authorization code for this specific license? Also, is there going to be a problem with all the plugins, or they will just need to be installed again if we don't touch the old iLok?

If there isn't a way to make this work they are pretty much stuck with a system they can never refresh, am I right?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Re: A way to find out the authorization code?

You need to go back to the seller and get them to transfer the ilok assets to your ilok account if you want to be able change anything on the ilok. If they refuse to do this it's probably stolen. You should really get them to do the digidesign transfer of ownership for the cards and interfaces too. This gives you the option of upgrading to HD later on for a lower price.

If the seller isn't able to find or unwilling to give you the auth code for the PT installer, the disk won't do you much good. You can, however, buy a new installer for PT 6.4.1 from the digistore that will have it's own authorization code for $35.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks John,

The iLok was sold with the system, and nothing has changed in the account since then. The studio owner just bought it and couldn't care less about transferring ownership (it was about 3 years ago) so it wasn't stolen but now he doesn't care about this enough to contact the seller and ask him.

That's why the second option you advised makes more sense in this situation. I'll just tell him that if he wants me to help him "upgrade" his system he should by the installer with authorization code for $35 (really?!) so we can refresh the OS and install PT again.

Is there going to be a problem if we use the same iLok with the same plugins we had or versions of them that will work with v 6.4.1? Is he going to need to buy the plugins again?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM

The ilok will still authorize the plugins. You just need to make sure you install the same versions that are currently installed, many of the 6.4.1 era plugs have different ilok auths than the newer versions of the same plugin. Before you delete anything make note of the exact version of each plugin, then search the digi archives or the manufacturer's website for that version for the installer if it's not on your 6.4.1 install disk.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:24 AM

Thank you so much John!