Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Default Pro Tools 7.4.2 Audio Import Crashes

I recently replaced my computer and added some additional peripherals, and I've been having a persistent issue with importing audio. Every time I attempt to import audio into Pro Tools, it crashes the application by freezing on a sample in the processing window. Pro Tools becomes unresponsive, and I can't force quit, so I have to hard boot the computer to open Pro Tools again. It does this regardless of the location of the session (I have 4 internal drives, and have tried firewire drives, with the Mojo unplugged, of course), and regardless of the location or format of the source files. I have tried creating new sessions on different drives, using existing sessions, and changing the amount, type, and location of the files that are being imported. Without fail, I can reproduce the problem every time, rendering my rig close to useless. I can run a session with little or no issues, but cannot import audio.

Here is a list of my current setup:

1. Mac Pro 3.2gHz 8-Core OSX 4GB RAM, 4x 1TB Internal Drives, 4Gbit Fibre Channel Card - Running OSX 10.5.4 (from Combo Installer)
2. Pro Tools HD 7.4.2
3. Magma PE6R4-I (iPass) Expansion Chassis w/PCIe Host Card
4. HD3 Accel System (PCI)
5. Avid Mojo I/O
6. Sync HD
7. 192 I/O
8. AJA Sync Generator

I have systematically eliminated all factors other than software and the expansion chassis. I am waiting on another unit to arrive so that I can eliminate that from the equation.

These are the troubleshooting steps that I have taken:

1. Complete clean install of the OS, both 10.5.3 and 10.5.4
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools,.
3. Changed card slot order in both the computer and chassis.
4. Taken out the FibreChannel card.
5. Tried running the chassis with only the core card and then systematically added the two Accel cards, one at a time.
6. Removed the Mojo and Sync HD from the chain.
7. Removed all plug-ins, and tried running system with clean install of OS and Pro Tools with no plug-ins installed.
8. Swapped out computers for another identical Mac Pro.
9. Tested the PCI cards in a PCI compatible G5 (ran with no problem)
10. Repaired permissions on system drive.
11. Trashed databases/prefs
12. Run DigiTest (no problems detected)

I will be sending my crash logs to Digidesign today, so hopefully that my shed more light on the issue.

Due to my set-up, I cannot use a different version of the OS or Pro Tools. I am aware that the chassis is not officially supported, as the updated version has an iPass cable instead of a Dual Link connector. I was unaware at the time of purchase that I was receiving an updated unit. I have spoken with Digidesign and Magma about this issue and they have not been able to reproduce the crashes.

I suspect that this problem is related to the chassis, as if there was a software bug that prevented audio from being imported, this forum would be on fire right now.

I just want to know if anyone is successfully running a new Mac Pro with an HD system and a PE6R4-I, or if anyone is experiencing this issue on their system. Any suggestions of info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the DUC

I can't shed any light on your problem, but its interesting to see you have this problem and you have the new i-pass PE6R4. there are quite a few users here with the Magma! but they have the original with the 2x infiniband cables, and i'm sure they would be hollering if they had this problem.

Anyway, i hope you get this fixed soon, and please let us know any updates and how you fix this, when you do.

I'm on the verge of ordering the same chassis!

Regards, Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the response. I will definitely update you on my findings once I get it worked out.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:48 PM

No one else is having this problem?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Still No Solution - Audio Import Crashes

This issue has still not been resolved. We have had digi support out here and were told that it is a software bug with 7.4.2, but I find it odd that no one else has posted about this problem, if this truly is the case. I am also experiencing a similar crash on audio export.

I didn't specify before that this only occurs when importing audio through the Shift + Command + I method rather than the workspace. I can import without any problems through workspace.

Has anyone else experienced problems with audio import or export? It's very frustrating that this has still not been solved even after having gone through all the necessary channels.

Please respond if you're having similar issues.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 PM

BTW - I already received another expansion chassis unit and determined that it was not causing the problem. It is not a hardware issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM

I found any VST wrapped plug-ins will cause crashes on import session data
Lexicon PCM96 and Drumagog both did it
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 PM

While this won't help you, something similar had been reported a few months ago in LE for Windows.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=217383

I just tried to import 300+ files into a new session and PT unloaded it's bowels.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
We have had digi support out here and were told that it is a software bug with 7.4.2
Who did you have out there, exactly? I'd like to talk to them and find out what they know about this situation.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 PM

I've been migrating from a G5 to MacPro for a couple of weeks now and one of the final problems I'm having is when dragging audio files into PT getting the old spinning ball that requires a force quit and reboot to get back into a session.

It's a random occurrence, but happens 4-5 times a day. I've tried a number of solutions; increasing buffer sizes, RAM reconfig, etc. and nothing seems to affect this problem. It's a workflow killer...

Chris