Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM

Default changing ASIO driver

I just upgraded to PT9. The installation went OK and authorization fine. I could bring up a previous session but the I/O was all messed up. I also had a Lynx card installed on this PC so PT would only use the Lynx ASIO driver.

I would go to Setup/IO and could see the lynx ASIO driver as the default. I clicked on the long button about the previously installed configuration and I could see a picture of the Mbox2 Pro. But there was no way to save that configuration. Every time I would press OK and then look at Setup/IO again, the lynx ASIO driver was still the default. I could not find any way to change it.

So, I disabled the lynx ASIO driver, rebooted Windoz7 and brought PT9 back up. Then I got this message:

"The selected ASIO audio device could not be initialized. Please choose another audio device"

with 2 buttons, 'Quit' which exits PT, and 'OK' which brings up the 'Playback Engine' dialog. At the top of this dialog I can see that it is using the lynx ASIO driver because it it says: 'Current Engine: ASIO Lynx'

THERE IS NO WAY TO "CHOOSE" ANOTHER AUDIO DEVICE on this dialog!!

So now I am hoozed. PT tells me to change the audio device and then puts me in a dialog that does not give me ANY way to change the audio device--an endless circle.

I tried re-installing the Mbox2 Pro device driver--it installs just fine. Still, PT insists on using the ASIO Lynx driver even when it is no longer on my system!

I humbly submit that this is unacceptable. I should never get in an endless loop like this.

So, my question is how do I change the audio device?

-Andres
Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Default Re: changing ASIO driver

Can you change the Current Engine under Setup-Playback Engine? Also, have you tried any of the other firewire drivers such as the OHCI or Legacy? I've had similar issues with an 003 Rack+ and changing to the Legacy driver fixed it.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Can you change the Current Engine under Setup-Playback Engine?
I cannot even get to the Setup menu to change it. The software has put me in an endless loop. When I try to start PT, it loads all of the plugins, then I get the message that the current audio device could not be initialized and that I should change it. When I click on OK, it puts me into the Playback Engine window where there is NO OPTION to change the playback engine. Then I click on OK and I am back at the current audio drive could not be initialized and that I have to change it. I press OK and I am back at the Playback Engine window with no way to change the engine. I make every possible change on the window, click on OK and I am back at current audio device could not be initialized, etc.

I have uninstalled ALL of my audio devices/drivers and reinstall PT from scratch. It still comes up the same.

I DONT EVEN HAVE THE LYNX CARD INSTALLED IN THE BOX AND A FRESH INSTALL OF PT9 selects the lynx ASIO driver and WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO CHANGE IT.

THIS INSTALLATION SOFTWARE IS BRAIN-DEAD!

Any software that puts the user in an endless loop, telling the user to change something it does not like, and then prevents the user from making any changes to follow its instruction, is unacceptable.

-Andres
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM

Try changing your firewire driver.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 AM

Hi all,

I had the same problem, upgrading from PT8.0.5 to 9.0 (because I got myself a firewire mixer), and getting the above error message and the same resulting frustration of not being able to change anything.

After a lot of researching the DUC over the past few weeks in preparation of the upgrade, and today finally Googling the DUC with the error message, and finding this post, I feel I owe the DUC my solution, hoping it will help someone too. I am also very happy that I got PT working and I want to share it with you good guys! Hence a late reply to this post from April.

This is what I did that solved it for me - after running PT8 successfully with all Windows tweaks in place:

I installed PT9 on Windows7, 64bit.
Looking in the Program files I found 2 Digidesign folders on the C drive: 1 in the C/Program Files, and 1 on C/Program Files(x86). I then deleted the Digidesign folder from C/Program Files(x86). I restarted PT and it opened normally, except thet some plugins that I used in a song were missing. I then restored the deleted file, copied the plugins into the Program Files (without x86), and deleted the folder(x86) again. This did not bring the plugins back, so PT obviously needs both folders. I then left the folder in Program Files(x86) and deleted the DAE Prefs AND the I/O Settings from that folder, as well as Codecs and Controllers. They are still kept safely should I need them, but this miraculously got PT working as expected. It recognized all my Venice F24 channels. This was not the case when it did open one time earlier but would not play, it then still showed my old 003 configuration (I did untick the Session overwrite current i/O setup when opend in the I/O Setup then).

Now, back to work.., finally!

Happy Jack