Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-16-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Apogee Minime? or UA M610?

What's the smart way to spend? I know the Minime has both quality D/A converters and mic pre. But will the UA M610 sound better. What is the best for the overall better sonic fidelity?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Apogee Minime? or UA M610?

The 610 is a character mic pre while the minime is a clean/transparent pre. Your choice really depends on what you want to hear vs. getting 2 channels with the minime.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2006, 10:52 PM

yeah good point. I guess it's all confusing. I just want a great sound.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:26 AM

I would go for the mini-me.
I don't know what converters you use, but if you use the digi002 , get the mini-me and start saving for another preamp later down the line.
The compressor in the mini-me is on some occasions pretty cool.
But atleast your sound will much better when you go thru a better converter and clock.
Your mixes will improve more with the mini-me than with the UA.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:11 PM

Will the minme actually improve the mix at the processing stage too? Like when it bounces in Pro Tools? I would think that it would considering that it utulizes the Apogee clock.

Interesting, so the mini will produce a better end result than the UA M610.

What about the Rosetta 200

-Dave
Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Why lock yourself into the MiniMe?
I would get the pre-amp I like (wouldn't be the 610) and save up to change converters.
The MiniMe should only be considered if you need something that is portable or if you like the sound the combo of pre and converter gives you.
Even if you went with something like the old Rosetta AD or a Lucid 9624 and ran the 610 through it you would come out better.
Again this is not knocking the MiniMe, but if you don't know or like the sound of it I would go a different route.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:51 AM

rosetta is cool too
but it doesn't have a preamp, which you wanted also.

only 2 models that offer preamp/convertor/good clock
are the mini-me and the trak2 (which is too expensive and i don't tink they sell it anymore)
Old 02-18-2006, 01:15 PM

Hi,

You post really caught my eye. In the signal flow, would you be able to use the Mini-Me to do a D/A conversion as well? I'm also trying to come up with alternatives of not using the 002 preamp and its conversions.

Thanks;
John

Quote:
I would go for the mini-me.
I don't know what converters you use, but if you use the digi002 , get the mini-me and start saving for another preamp later down the line.
The compressor in the mini-me is on some occasions pretty cool.
But atleast your sound will much better when you go thru a better converter and clock.
Your mixes will improve more with the mini-me than with the UA.
3GB of RAM
002R interface
Old 02-18-2006, 01:18 PM

Yes the MiniMe combo gives you the ability to bypass the 002's converters and also has a pre built in.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:17 PM

"You post really caught my eye. In the signal flow, would you be able to use the Mini-Me to do a D/A conversion as well? I'm also trying to come up with alternatives of not using the 002 preamp and its conversions."

Ok the bad thing :
the mini-me is a ADC not a DAC.
If digidesign would ever let LE users use other hardware (which they won't) than yes because if you use the mini-me as a USB soundcard you can actually have a monitor return thru the little aux stereo jack in the back.

if you want a good dac you'll need the mini-dac.

i think the mini-dac and the mini-me (both without usb options) is a bit around the same price of a rosetta 200 (there is a mini-me type version with just preamps no adc if you want to use a preamp with a rosetta)

i have the dac and the mini-me (and both with usb options installed).
i love them both because i can even use them together on my powerbook if i want to do recordings on location.

The thing is your recordings will be better and you'll have a good clock... so if a friend has a good dac , borrow that one... but if you stay in the box, you'll still get the better sound out of the digi002 outputs.
What you avoid with the mini-me is Much Less Jitter during recording and during summing. And since most people do bounce in the box it doesn't matter the lesser DAC. You can always take your audio tracks to a studio for mixdown

the mini-dac (or benchmark dac : different brand) is just a better digital to analog converter... the apogee's dac use double buffer stage for cleaning up the signal before turning it into analog. Another use for this is hooking it up to a cd-player with s/pdif or lightpipe ... now you'll hear how it is made for you to hear instead of the cheap dacs in your cd player (there are big and good brand with excellent cd-players... have you ever seen a HI-FI nerd ? that world is huge also )