Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Default What are Handles . and how would I use them.

What are handles and how would i use them. And not the kind on the side of a marshal cabinet.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Default Re: What are Handles . and how would I use them.

They are how much pre/post of the selection will be rendered. Handles will allow you to crossfade into adjacent clips.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM

All I have ever used a crossfade for is between two clips.

So does a handle give my crossfades a default regardless of the highlighted area .

What settings do you use.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Would be a great feature ..... if it worked.
But it does not.
In some cases, it will simply not render anything (silence) and with some plugs will prevent proper processing at all (RX and Vocalign, are 2 I'm aware of)

Avid has been mute on the bug since PT 10's introduction.
Maybe we can get a fix in 11, or 12, or 13 ....

It really has nothing to do with crossfades.
The feature is supposed to give you additional portion of the processed file, beyond the region boundary, after an audio suite (destructive) process.

kasper

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=320980

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=319841

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=318853
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Right, what Kasper said, except, it has everything to do with crossfades, fades and trimming. Example follows...

What I have to do in PT 7.4 is this:

- make a selection for AS processing
- save that as a memory location (optional, but I have one called "sel" that I just modify when I need to)
- extend the selection on both sides (so I can crossfade later)
- process with AS plugin
- recall "sel"
- trim to selection
- Ctrl-trim the regions before and after to make them smack into the AS'ed region
- apply crossfades on both sides of the AS'ed region

Now, this entire list is done in seconds, but it's still annoying. With handles, you can just process the selection, and crossfade directly in/out.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:55 AM

PT lover, in your specific work-flow; sure, cross fades are important.

But, really 2 different things. Handles working properly, or not working ..... which is the killer for me!!

But for your situation have you tried some of the Beat Detective features for extending/crossfading your regions en masse?

kasper
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
PT lover, in your specific work-flow; sure, cross fades are important.

But, really 2 different things. Handles working properly, or not working ..... which is the killer for me!!

But for your situation have you tried some of the Beat Detective features for extending/crossfading your regions en masse?

kasper
Sure, if the feature doesn't work properly, it sucks.

I haven't tried BD for this, because it's usually just a matter of a few regions here and there. Handles is one of the big features for me in PT 10, but I'm still on the fence.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM

"Handles" are amazing when you are importing and exporting OMF (session Data) from say Pro Tools to/from Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer... this allows both the video editor or the audio engineer to say ad a few frames to a cut video so it starts sooner... the Handles will allow both to extend the clip to allow this to happen... with no handles the video editor would extend the video cut and the audio would already be cut to what was sent to him (not allowing him/her to extend the audio with the video) it also works the other way....

Say a video editor has done a rough "editing" of a bunch of film shots to make one flowing scene... if the session data has handles the audio engineer can extend the audio without effecting the video to say "make a smoother crossfade" or cut a background noise out at the end of a fade that just sounds strange, etc...

Basically handles allow you to extend a clip in your session either at the beginning the "edited version (where you cut the audio in and where it ends)" or the end so you're not stuck with the original edit and can adjust to make it better if needed.

However if you have an "edit(say you have a long 15 second clip that you cut down to 10 seconds)" and you process that edit with something, lets say an EQ, or compressor, or a vocal pitch shifter... and then export the session data with handles... you will not have any handles on the clip as you rendered it with an EQ or other (only renders what you selected) without any data before or after your "selection" so the resulting file (now is 10 seconds and has an EQ or other rendered) replaced the original(the 15 second clip unedited) and therefore is only the length you selected to process.... so you cannot extend the clip any at all because there is nothing to extend.

But handles are great and save a ton of time.

Last edited by jasonthurley; 05-30-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I thought I was still in PT9 discussion... in PT 10 you can also use Audio Suite handles, which acts the same as I mentioned above (allowing you to extend the audio clip before or after your selection).

However with PT 10 Plugin Handles you can now decide how much of the selection you want to "process" with the audio plug-in before and after your selection.

So for instance... you are once again working with a session that a video editor has cut a bunch of clips into one long sequence. The audio engineer can "process" an effect such as EQ, Reverb, or whatever and tell the plug in how long before and after the selection to process the audio file. So say you ad 5 seconds of "handles" in your plugin and then the video editor is told by the director he wants a specific clip to last 3 seconds longer before cutting to the next video clip... with audio suite handles you will be able to extend the audio file already processed that extra 3 seconds so you dont have to revert or bring the original file back in and then reprocess it.... you simply extend the file and its already done.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM

In many tasks handles seem like incomplete and impractical workaround.
Much better solution would be to support realtime clip effects like in many other DAWs. Then you would not need to worry about handles and handle lengths at all.