Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Default Bounce to disc / aux input problem / PT7LE

Hi, I've just finished a couple of mixes and want to bounce to disc. I'm using a Lexicon PCM-91 as an outboard reverb, coming into PTLE via an auxiliary stereo track, then routed, like all the other tracks, into Outputs 1-2/Master Fader.

I can hear the reverb fine in playback and during the bounce to disc, but when I play back the bounced file the reverb isn't there! I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong & have even resorted to recording the reverb to a stereo audio track. Does anyone her have any suggestions please?

Thanks! Matt
Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Bounce to disc / aux input problem / PT7LE

Route the 91 to a stereo audio track and print the reverb. The do your Bounce to disc with the 91 aux track(what you have now) muted or deleted.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 AM

Obviously I'd really rather keep the reverb from the Lexicon on an Aux track instead of printing it. It must be a user error I guess, as the manual seems to suggest that anything you can hear during a bounce to disc will end up on the bounced track. Might it be to do with the number of tracks used, as it doesn't appear to be a routing issue? Any other suggestions as to why the reverb is absent from the bounced file?

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Avid

Can you give us more system specs as well as an exact description of the connections and routing in your session?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm using ProToils LE7 on an iBook G4. The sends to the Lexicon are coming from outputs 7&8 and the return is through channels 7&8 of a Digi 002 Rack.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntManBee View Post
I'm using ProToils LE7 on an iBook G4. The sends to the Lexicon are coming from outputs 7&8 and the return is through channels 7&8 of a Digi 002 Rack.
That doesn't really qualify as providing system specs.... Maybe try a little harder there.... Read this to see what DigiTechSupport means when they ask for system specs:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193636

If you have Low-Latency Monitoring enabled, that could be part of your problem. Although I wouldn't think you could hear it during the bounce.

Look up Low Latency Monitoring in the ProTools Reference and see if that issue applies...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a 1Ghz Power PC iBook G4, with 1.12 GB DDR SDRAM, running OSX 10.4.11.

I use ProTools LE7 and a Digi 002R, via firewire, via a LaCie Little Disk 250GB external HD on which all my ProTools projects are stored (LE7 is running off the internal 40GB HD).

My Mac is set-up as per the instructions in the Digi 002R user guide 'Macintosh Configuration' and I am using low-latency monitoring, but don't know why that would affect only the return from the external reverb.

I've made mixes in the past with the Lexicon without problem, but if I've changed any settings since then it would only have been inadvertantly. I've checked the obvious - routing - but that's all as it should be.

It's just odd...the solution proposed where I print the reverb to a track worked fine and everything else is ending up in the bounced file apart from the Aux return. This is affecting more than one project, so I assume it's a general setting, or something copied by using the last settings as a template for a new project.

Thanks again, Matt
Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 AM

This is from the manual (which you didn't seem to have read like I said to):

PT Reference Guide 7.4, pp342

"Low Latency Monitoring and
Bounce To Disk
With Low Latency Monitoring enabled, only audio
tracks are included with the Bounce to Disk
command—Auxiliary Input and Instrument
tracks are ignored. To include Auxiliary Input
and Instrument tracks, disable Low Latency
Monitoring before using Bounce to Disk."

"External input cannot be recorded during a
Bounce to Disk. To include external input
in your bounce, it must be recorded to new
audio tracks before using Bounce to Disk
(see “Bounce to Disk” on page 836)."

I said to read it because I'm not certain it applies to your problem, but it sure sounds similar, especially since you confirmed you are using LLM... The fact you can hear the external input but not record it seems strange, but if that's how it works...