Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Using a HEDD?

Am thinking of checking out the Cranesong HEDD and was wondering if anyone is using it with HD. If so, how are you hooking it up for tracking, mixing and/or mastering considering its SPDIF, AES and Analogue I/O and the A/D D/A functionality? I was thinking about setting it up as an insert using an AES round trip from the 192 and simply putting that in a track when I need it, but maybe its better to "send" it so an Aux return can be used to record the output? Are you using the A/D D/A features at all? Are you clocking it all? Keen to understand what your workflow with it might be. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Using a HEDD?

HI,

Using the HEDD 192 and loving it. I mainly mix and use it as my "printing" A/D and also use the D/A simultaneously as my main monitor feed.

Basically I analog sum externally, go into the A/D inputs on the HEDD, go AES out into my 192 IO where the mix is printed to a track, and then go AES out of the mix print track into the AES input of the HEDD where it is D/A'd and then sent to my monitor controller. This allows you to confidence monitor the track you are printing.

My entire setup is clocked with a Apogee Big Ben.

Best,

JSR
Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM

Hey JSR thanks for the feedback ... really glad to hear of a happy user.

I tried to play with the HEDD tonight and got a strange symptom: when using AES (or SPDIF) i/o on the HEDD as an insert on a track, with or without a word clock feed from the 192, I am fine when working at 44k1 with the sample switch set to 44k1, 48k or even word clock and the process switch set to 24 bit digital - actually it sounds fantastic! - but when I step up to 48k the HEDD seems to lose sync lock every ten or twenty seconds or so. If I use word clock, the red sync WC light is on for a while, then goes off and the audio drops out; soon locks again and audio comes back. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong (termination??) - and can't seem to get a mail address that works for someone at Cranesong.

Anyone else using it with PTHD?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Hey Duncan,

Quote:
I was thinking about setting it up as an insert using an AES round trip from the 192 and simply putting that in a track when I need it... Are you using the A/D D/A features at all? Are you clocking it all? Keen to understand what your workflow with it might be.

Been using one here for 5-6 years now. Great piece. Great thick, yet detailed AD converters as well.

As you mentioned above, I use it via AES round trip via an Aurora 16's AES I/O. We tried
hanging it off the studio's Mytek AES I/O, but that caused all kinds of probs.

Mostly use it on the 2 Buss at mixdown (using the process at the initial D to A stage, and then
feeding a comp and EQ from that, then back into the HEDD for ADC into PT).

I often track through it as well. When tracking through it, I'll use it's Word Clock
as master for our PT rig (and other converters).
Otherwise, a Mytek 8X192 generally is the system's clock master.

HTH !

MacPro 6,1; 12 core; 64 Gb RAM; 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro w/ adapter & heatsink; OSX 10.14.6
PT 2019.12.0 Ult.
Burl MS / PT Dock/ Avid S1/2x iPad Air2/ Avid|Control
Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 AM

Thanks Rick! Am trying another unit today just to check if maybe there's a sync issue with the one I tried yesterday. Will post back ...
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Yup, the first HEDD I used was faulty - dropping sync, though interestingly working A/D and D/A rather than through the digital ins was no problem! The second unit I tried today was awesome - highly recommended for making digital sound a little more analogue.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Hey Duncan,

Great to hear that things got worked out.
Have fun with it!

MacPro 6,1; 12 core; 64 Gb RAM; 1 TB Samsung 970 Pro w/ adapter & heatsink; OSX 10.14.6
PT 2019.12.0 Ult.
Burl MS / PT Dock/ Avid S1/2x iPad Air2/ Avid|Control