Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Default Error Communicating With iLok

Hi Everyone,

I'm having intermittent iLok issues, which of course are happening when I have a really tight deadline.

I keep getting various missing authorization pop-up errors for PT as well as the plugins in my session. It's a relatively new iLok3 and the blue light doesn't seem to turn off at all. I've tried all of the obvious: switching ports, using a hub, not using a hub, restarting everything, ILM "remove account data...". My licenses are not in the cloud. I can launch ILM and everything is recognized but when I tried deactivating a plugin I get a "Error Communicating With iLok" pop-up.

I should also mention that each time this happens, if I re-seat the ilok it seems fine again for 10 minutes or so.

I'm on PT Ultimate 2018.10, running HDX on Sierra 10.12.6 with ILM 5.0.3 GM. I have ZDT but it really doesn't seem like a hardware issue to me. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Error Communicating With iLok

You tried reinstalling the latest ILM?

Sure seems like a possible hardware issue to me. You can check by getting another iLok and trying to move licenses to that. If it does not work invoke ZDT...
Old 09-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You tried reinstalling the latest ILM?

Sure seems like a possible hardware issue to me. You can check by getting another iLok and trying to move licenses to that. If it does not work invoke ZDT...
Agree

This is how it started twice for us and our iloks before they died and went to the ilok heaven so make sure you have ZDT and paid up with iLok so should it become worse and the ilok die then you will be up’n running in minutes!!

It sounds like a bad ilok IMO but I am not there to see what transpires but it sure sounds exactly what happened to our two last iLok deaths.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
if I re-seat the ilok it seems fine again for 10 minutes or so
Then take your time and deactivate your licenses one by one re-seating as many times as necessary, until your ilok is empty. Replace the key with a new one and activate licenses again. Problem solved. Hopefully you won't need to send a broken ilok key for support to do it for you.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Thanks guys.

Despite having the most recent version, I reinstalled ILM and it seems to be going okay. No issues for the past couple hours.

I totally agree that it seems like a hardware issue but the consistency of the inconsistency seems odd to me. As in, I could almost set my watch to it and it seems unlikely that it's a hardware issue if it fixes itself every time I reseat it. I suspected it was something with it trying to ping home but I don't really know how that works with a hardware iLok as opposed to using cloud licensing. Maybe that doesn't even make any sense.

Regardless, things seem good now. Thanks for the suggestion of reinstalling ILM. Hopefully that was it. Fingers cross.

Ryan
Old 09-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Do not worry about the "inconsistency of the whatever..." you may be lucky and it was just something corrupted in the ILM install. But if it starts happening again your only job is to get those license off that iLok asap. It would not surprise if it comes back, you could have a mechanical/stress/temperature related failure in the iLok. If you don't have one already now would be a good time to purchase a spare iLok.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Thanks Darryl. I do have a few gen 2 spares lying around if needed.

If it comes back, I'll document it here for posterity.

Thanks again.

Ryan
Old 09-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccam View Post
.... it fixes itself every time I reseat it. I suspected it was something with it trying to ping home ....
Once you've deactivated and then reactivated every License in iLok License Manager, right-click on your iLok and choose: "Synchronize".
Wait for the spinning beach ball to stop.

This will fix it - without the continuing need to reseat your Licenses.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:40 PM

If you’re not 100% sure about “enabling TLC”, scroll down to the Zero Downtime™ image on this page: https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager

In the centre, where it says Theft & Loss Coverage TLC, you'll see how to slide the white button on the blue background to the right, to the “ON” position in iLok License Manager.

This needs to be “Refreshed” every 3 months.

With a spare iLok on hand, Zero Downtime™ with Theft & Loss Coverage TLC enabled is the fastest way to get up’n running again, if your iLok ever “dies”. (May it never happen!!)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!