Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 AM

Default MacBook Pro, Magma ExpressCard/34

Hi-

Any chance that a portable HD Intel rig using Magma's ExpressCard/34 (or a Digi configuration to be named at a later date) will be tested? Or am I stuck with LE as my only portable option? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you)

But... Inquiring minds...

Craig
Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Re: MacBook Pro, Magma ExpressCard/34

Bumping this...Come on, Digi, a vague idea?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:45 AM

I agree. This is a question that needs an answer from digi soon. My clients are not thrilled about the compromises it takes to get an HD session to work on LE for a mobile recording. I end up dragging out the three heavy rack cases for what should be a laptop and a four spacer. Magma has the solution. Will digi support it?

david
Old 10-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Avid

The reason that there has not been a reply is that we cannot speak of future developments of this nature. If and when anything like this is planned, we will announce it publicly.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Thanks, but my question really had to do with the Magma ExpressCard/34 adaptor that goes from a MacBook Pro to an existing Magma chassis, say the 4 or 2 slot. If the Intel version of ProTools is loaded into the MacBook Pro, will it work? Is this being tested either at Digi or at Magma?

Also, even though everyone says it, there's no logic to the expression "if and when." It's one or the other - "if or when" - it cannot possibly be both.

But I digress.

Craig
Old 10-13-2006, 05:20 PM

I would also like to know. I ran ProTools TDM on a PowerBook G4 1Ghz, with a 1-slot Magma expansion chassis via the PCMCIA with no problems for a long time. I believe this particular combination was never tested/supported by Digi, but it was my main location system, enabling me to record without glitches up to 16 tracks at a time, at up to 192kHz/24 bits. Not a single problem. Ever.

Magma has been very good in supporting their customers by introducing their ExpressCard/34 solution, enabling those of us with "legacy" PCMCIA or PCI based PCI-expansion systems to quickly and economically switch to the new formats, without having to change the expansion chassis itself, only by swapping the PCMCIA card with an ExpressCard 34. With this being the only change, the only hurdle was a universal binary of ProTools HD. This is now out. So, anyone has tested this combination:

ProTools 7.2 HD Intel (PCI Cards) + MacBook Pro + ExpressCard/34 + Magma PCI Expansion chassis (1-slot, 2-slot, 4-slot, any-slot?)

BTW, this is an HD system, not HD accel, which I never had the chance to try with the PCMCIA Magma on a PowerBook combination.

Digi, have you tried it? Is there anything you know in PT 7.2HD Intel and related software, which would enable this as unusable?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I would also like to know. I ran ProTools TDM on a PowerBook G4 1Ghz, with a 1-slot Magma expansion chassis via the PCMCIA with no problems for a long time. I believe this particular combination was never tested/supported by Digi, but it was my main location system, enabling me to record without glitches up to 16 tracks at a time, at up to 192kHz/24 bits. Not a single problem. Ever.

Magma has been very good in supporting their customers by introducing their ExpressCard/34 solution, enabling those of us with "legacy" PCMCIA or PCI based PCI-expansion systems to quickly and economically switch to the new formats, without having to change the expansion chassis itself, only by swapping the PCMCIA card with an ExpressCard 34. With this being the only change, the only hurdle was a universal binary of ProTools HD. This is now out. So, anyone has tested this combination:

ProTools 7.2 HD Intel (PCI Cards) + MacBook Pro + ExpressCard/34 + Magma PCI Expansion chassis (1-slot, 2-slot, 4-slot, any-slot?)

BTW, this is an HD system, not HD accel, which I never had the chance to try with the PCMCIA Magma on a PowerBook combination.

Digi, have you tried it? Is there anything you know in PT 7.2HD Intel and related software, which would enable this as unusable?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We have not done any ExpressCard34 testing yet - so we don't know of any problems. We also do not have a schedule yet for when this will occur.

I wish I had better news for you...

Danny Caccavo
Product Manager
Digidesign
Old 10-18-2006, 11:24 PM

There's an Express Card /34 to PCMCIA adaptor available now - I imagine it would be worth trying...and I also imagine that it would be cheaper than Magma's new host card ( though I may be wrong about that ).

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 10-19-2006, 05:20 AM

Hey Danny-

Thanks for responding. That's all I was looking for, a simple yea or nay. If I get itchy (and rich-y) and get a MacBook Pro, I'll pop for the Magma Card and give it a whirl.

Craig
Old 12-10-2006, 08:29 AM

D. Caccavo wrote on October 19th, 2006:

Quote:
We have not done any ExpressCard34 testing yet - so we don't know of any problems. We also do not have a schedule yet for when this will occur.
Time to bump this up. Any progress on ExpressCard 34 testing?

I've got a lot of work coming up in '07 for which I NEED an ExpressCard 34/Magma solution for PT HD.

Thank you for any info.

j mcd