Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 AM

Default Re: MacBookPro & Magma new test results...

I just ordered an Apogee DA-16x with X-HD card, a Magma ExpressPro PCIe box, and I'm looking forward to hooking it all up w/PT 8 on a MacBook Pro 2.33. I'll post my results as soon as I can. Really hoping this all works....
Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
I just installed PT 8 + OS 10.5.5 on a new drive. I opened a 7.4 session with no problems, but haven't put it through it's paces yet. Must get back to work on a project in 7.4. Will report back soon...
Everything works as it did in Protools 7.4. But, I still have my DAE voice allocation problem (can't go above 48voices/1dsp).

The hunt continues...
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Got my Magma ExpressBox Pro. With the one PCIe card, hooked to a Rosetta 800 w/X-HD card (getting a DA-16x) to a MacBook Pro 2.33, I'm running (for now) a 48 voice session at 44.1/24 with video. The drives are a portable 7200 fw800 drive for audio, and a 5400 fw800 drive (off the 400 port) for video. The playback allocation is 96 voice (2 DSP), and yes, I can switch playback allocation without a problem. I can only get 96 voices tops, with either 2 DSP or 3 DSP.

But ir runs smoothly, very responsive. Scrubbing audio, no problem. As responsive as my HD3 PCIe in a Mac Pro 2.66 (older version).

I primarily need/want an HD playback rig that's portable (and with top notch converters) and this I think will fill the bill. No crashes, easy start up thus far. I'll put it through a few more paces and see what happens. Oh, and I'm running PT 8.0 cs2.

Craig
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM

I did some component swapping and have found the culprit in my DAE limit problem to be the Magma 4-slot Pericom PCIx chassis.

FWIW, Protools 8 is running great
Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 AM

found this: http://forums.magma.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=189

anyone can confirm that Sonnet x4i is working with magma pci chassis and macbook pro ?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM

I just wanted to report back that I installed a new processor card in my Magma 4 slot PCI chassis, and it's functioning well. My DAE voice limitation is fixed.

Now, Protools 8 is a little unstable, but that may be due to a un-updated plugin bugaboo hiding somewhere. That and the dreaded RTAS VI issues... The one thing that really made my system unstable was the "Separate region on all related takes" preference that was hanging my system:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...eparate+region

Back to work (whew!)
Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 AM

Question Re: MacBookPro & Magma new test results...

Would like to move to a mobile setup from G5.......

I have a new (MBP/2008 late) which I tried/sold with an Apogee mobile Symphony Rosetta 800 system and had major problems but still need mobile system.

I would like to run my present PT8/Logic Pro 8 with a one slot Magma chassis and express card but how stable is this system?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblasters View Post
Would like to move to a mobile setup from G5.......

I have a new (MBP/2008 late) which I tried/sold with an Apogee mobile Symphony Rosetta 800 system and had major problems but still need mobile system.

I would like to run my present PT8/Logic Pro 8 with a one slot Magma chassis and express card but how stable is this system?
the more I fine tune my system according to the Digi spec's (update plugins etc...) the more stable it is (duh). I just did a long day yesterday using RMX, Reason, Vacuum, Virus, and around 50-60 tracks (spotty not solid) without a single crash.

I don't use Logic so can't comment there
Old 04-25-2009, 06:59 AM

So far for me it is very stable: MPB 2.33, Magma 1-slot PCIe chassis (w/PCIe card installed, obviously) hooked to an Apogee DA-16x and Sync I/O. In ProTools, you get only 96 voices with the one card, but it runs flawlessly as an edit/playback machine. I've not tried it with a lot of plugs nor as a record rig; I work as a music editor, so I need something compact that has 16 outs and sounds great. This really fits the bill.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
I just wanted to report back that I installed a new processor card in my Magma 4 slot PCI chassis, and it's functioning well. My DAE voice limitation is fixed.

Now, Protools 8 is a little unstable, but that may be due to a un-updated plugin bugaboo hiding somewhere. That and the dreaded RTAS VI issues... The one thing that really made my system unstable was the "Separate region on all related takes" preference that was hanging my system:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...eparate+region

Back to work (whew!)
Hi Scott,

Could you share what processor card you installed? I am running on a Magma 4-slot pericom, 1 core, 1 accel, 1 process and its been running fine, if we disregard RTAS performance. However, I still have the problem with the menubar items dissapearing and when engaged, the inability of ejecting volumes. The solution so far has been to start the MBP without the ExpressCard in, turn off all menubar items, shut down, and restart with the ExpressCard in. Only then am I able to eject volumes normally, etc. Of course I loose all menubar functionality.

Has anyone else found a solution to the menubar problems? I have spoken with Magma many times and they refer me back to Apple, stating its Apple's problem to fix.

MBP 2.6Ghz, early 2008, 4Gb RAM, Magma 4slot pericom, 10.5.6, PT8cs2.