Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-16-2003, 02:46 AM

Default EQs for the Digi002 on Windows

Hello people this is my first time asking questions on the DUC. I am a newcomer to the Home Studio game. I would like to know if it is possible to get a professional sounding mix using the Digi002 on Windows. If so...somebody tell me HOW!!! I only have the plug-ins that came on the Pro Tools 5.3.2 Install CD when I bought the Digi002. I am mostly mixing Hip Hop/Rap with an occasional R&B singing Hook/Chorus. Do I need other plug-ins to get that punch that a Nelly, Jay-Z, 50cent, or Eminem has or What? Please Help? I am starting at ground zero as a Engineer...A client laughed at my last mix. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2003, 06:38 AM

Default Re: EQs for the Digi002 on Windows

With all my respect I can honestly tell you that ...it is not the machine... is the person behind it....

If you admit that you are starting from ZERO as an audio engineer at your home studio, it's brave of you to have perhaps paying clients already... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

You can have tons of plug ins, and the best ones... but if you don't know how to use them they will be worthless....

The plugs that you have with your 002 are very good, some people may say they suck. But Learn how to use them and exploit them to the max....then move on... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm also very inexperienced in digital recording, and my mixes suck big time. But I find my self very at home with all of the waves plug ins. They have help my sound a lot. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Get the waves mastering set, they are user frendly, with lots of pre sets.

YEAH man...GET THEM. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2003, 09:46 AM

Today I am going to buy myself some books. It seems as though when I get a mix loud enough, although I does not look like it is peaking--I'll play it somebody's car and it will be distorted. How do you get punch out of the bassdrum and bassline with a snapping snare without it distorting or covering up the other instruments in the mix. Thanks for the reply Chucktoledo! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2003, 01:02 PM

Another tip is to send the drums to an aux-track, and put heavy compression on the aux-track. Then you mix the original signal and the heavily compressed signal to get a "punchy" sound! Here you have to be aware of "flanger" in the signal, because two almost identical signals cause "flanger". But if you compress the aux-track hard enough, this shouldn't be a problem [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 12:36 AM

Any Suggestions??? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] estions???
Old 07-17-2003, 12:50 AM

One secret behind "punch" in a mix, is compressors/limiters. There is both a compressor and a limiter included in the Digirack plugins, although there are many better comp/limiters available for Pro Tools LE. (The Bombfactory and Waves comp's/limiters)
You can start adding compressors on each drum/instrument/vocal etc. Almost any sound will benefit from compression (sometimes heavy compression). It helps the instruments stand out in the mix. But compression requires experience. One has to be careful with the attack/release settings, so that the compressor doesn't start to "pump" (out of time) or make other artifacts to the sound.
I use the Sony Inflator and Waves Ultramaximizer to get punch on the final mix. This is part of the mastering process.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:55 AM

Dos,
Highly recommend getting the "Producing in the Home Studio with Pro Tools" book. It will help you out tremendously. Also, READ every forum in this section. That too will help you out. You DO NOT want to start out producing bad mixes, charging and then have your name washed around in the dirt for your next potential client to hear about cause ya did a horrible mix. Do what a lot of us did at first, find a friend, band, etc and record them for FREE! ABSOLUTELY FREE!!! And take your time working with them. You will be happy because you will learn how to do things. They will be happy because you are woking solely for them, they will get something out of it, and SO WILL YOU! I did that with my first recording band. Started from nothing and ended up learning a ton. Buy that book, it is VERY easy to read and you will learn a lot from it. I recommend that book and the "Mastering Audio" book. Harder to read, but explains things. Talk to people, get into the DUC. I am on here daily, and I just started recording back in January. Not that I know it all, but I can get some great sounds now due to helpful hints and tips from all the great guys in this DUC. Seriously though, work for FREE for your first time and build from there. DO NOT GET THAT NAME SMEARED AROUND OFF THE BAT!

Talk to you later, and hope that this helped!
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"