Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-29-2019, 01:39 AM

Default More than one year w/o updates !?

Did I make the wrong choice with S3 ? More than one year without any update to firmware or Eucon os even iPad PT control, makes me think I should had bought a €4000 controler that seems to have been forgoten buy its builders.

It has many things to improve, so please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Re: More than one year w/o updates !?

Same here.

Still on version 3.7 because the current one is way too buggy.
I Like the Eucon extra stuff, but at this point Im considering going the Mackie/HUI route and sell my S3 + Dock for a Nucleus.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 PM

2 thoughts:
#1-what bugs are you having, and what have you tried for remedy(firmware updates make a ton of sense if lots of folks are having the same issues, but if its only you....then not so much)
#2-I seriously doubt any HUI surface is going to touch the S3(or any Avid hardware) in real-world function

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-29-2019, 02:44 PM

I run an audio post facility, a small one. I work with PT and Nuendo, PT when the job itself consists of a chain of audio engineers, and Nuendo when I do all the work by myself.
For ex, if I have a gig where I work only on vocal editing, I use PT and send a PT session to the mixing engineer.
Heres the thing, Eucon is way superior than any MCU/HUI protocol Ive worked with, but its not more stable.
On the 18.3 update I lost the Jog capabilities on the dock, both on PT and Nuendo, well, I didn't lost that function, I just lost the ability to push/pull that function.( imagine that when you work on audio for picture?)
Also, I do VO, and albeit the "cue sends" and the "aux sends" work differently on PT/Nuendo, the access to their functions on both daws from the S3, are sluggish.
There is also a 0.6 db max audio discrepancy between the S3 faders on 0db point and the Nuendo 0db point. Don't let this small list fool you, there are many more bugs both in PT and Nuendo, I won't list them in order to make the post as short as possible.
My point is, the hui/mcu is minimalist and gets the job done, and we don't need to cross our fingers wishing those software/hardware updates will work, unlike Eucon.
You see, Avid is not selling an S3/Dock controller only to PT users, look up their website, they are selling this combo as 3rd party, also, how in hell isn't their 1rst party support bug free?! Just scroll through the forum to look up bugs, maybe you don't have/need a fast workflow like we Post guys do, and I have a fairly simple setup: Mac Pro 6.1; RME uff +; UAD satelite TB; Audient asp800, etc... But that shouldn't matter since we re talking about a Software controller.
Also, there's a well known bug on the S3 audio card section, I don't know if this is by design or if a simple firmware update will fix it, where input 1/2, while choosing any kind of output, simply won't engage 48V. This lead me to spend 80 + bucks on a good phantom power/DI box in order to keep my 12 mic inputs (4 Rme/ 8 Audient) free from the talkback section.

Cheers.

Edit: mind you. This is not a low budget product. Although its not on the price range of an S6 or Nuage, this is far from the price tag of products like the Mackie MCU: the behringer X touch; the iCon series; etc... hell! even the Presonus studio/live range is cheaper, and those are full blown mixing desks.
Point is, for a 4/5K software controller, we should get full blown and constant support.

Last edited by migasnunes; 03-29-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM

I totally agree, that it's far too long since the last update.

We only get constant excuses.

Grass looks greener on the other side (Nuendo) every Month.

Cheers
Maik
Old 03-29-2019, 07:18 PM

I looked hard at the S3, but just couldn’t make it work with what I was trying to do. I ended up getting a dead mint D-Command for 1/4 of what the S3 would have cost. Sure it’s only 8 faders, but for about $1K I can add 16 more ending up 1/2 of the cost of an S3. Something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 04-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by migasnunes View Post
On the 18.3 update I lost the Jog capabilities on the dock, both on PT and Nuendo, well, I didn't lost that function, I just lost the ability to push/pull that function.( imagine that when you work on audio for picture?)

There is also a 0.6 db max audio discrepancy between the S3 faders on 0db point and the Nuendo 0db point.

I don't know if this is by design or if a simple firmware update will fix it, where input 1/2, while choosing any kind of output, simply won't engage 48V.
I dont see this Jog issue here, they work fine on my PT system...can you elaborate ?

This jump in Nuendo is their issue but we think we have found a way to work around it for the upcoming release.

When in output mode the IN key (48v) becomes the talkback key...just press shift and the knob top to go back...or am I missing the issue ?

I'm sorry for the delay in this next release, this is due to many things including Mojave and the big changes Apple made that have caused us to have to do much work in both PT and EUCON to make things work correctly. There are some nice features and fixes that I hope will be worth it.

Eddie
Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by migasnunes View Post
Still on version 3.7 because the current one is way too buggy.
General feedback on here and elsewhere was that 18.3 was a lot less buggy. I wonder if it was a bad install ?
Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Hi Eddie,

Are you able to give an estimate as to when the next version of Eucon will be released?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Since Eddie said that they are waiting for the next PT update and www.pro-tools-expert.com sates that the next one will be 2018.5, I make the wild guess that it will be released in may this year...