Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-06-2018, 03:31 AM

Default Nugen Plugins Freezing Pro Tools

Hi all,

Running ViSLM2 / iSL2 on my master it's causing issues with Pro tools sessions recently.

My machine is lagging, beach-balling & sometimes causing pro tools to crash. I'm confident my machine can handle big sessions. Removing these plugins from my master, resolves the issue.

Sessions are around 350 voices, running pro tools 12.8.3 HDX 2.

Originally was running latest versions of ISL2 & ViSLM2 tried rolling back my versions as well, still finding the sessions to lag. These issues aside, the Plugins are great I would like to continue using them they just need to be more stable..

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this would be interesting to hear, thanks.

Last edited by kaonashi; 03-06-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Nugen Plugins Freezing Pro Tools

System specs please?

QAPLA!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 AM

I've had this kind of problem with VisLm history data being kept indefinitely and/or data being logged as automation. The session size would be increased by several MB. Flushing the history and disabling automation log in options/export helped.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
System specs please?
256GB SSD
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor
32GB DDR3 RAM

Pro Tools HD 12.8.3 HDX 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop22 View Post
I've had this kind of problem with VisLm history data being kept indefinitely and/or data being logged as automation. The session size would be increased by several MB. Flushing the history and disabling automation log in options/export helped.
Thanks Yop, will look into this & give it a go!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonashi View Post
256GB SSD
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor
32GB DDR3 RAM

Pro Tools HD 12.8.3 HDX 2
OSX version?
Separate drives to record to?
One can never give too much information when asking for help and complete system specs go a long way towards that.

QAPLA!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
OSX version?
Separate drives to record to?
One can never give too much information when asking for help and complete system specs go a long way towards that.
Sure, using separate dedicated media drives, OS 10.12.6.

OS running from SSD, I only have installed Pro Tools & Plugins.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 PM

Excerpt (edited) from my email to Nugen, They replied right away but have not been able to replicate the issue:

If I open an Audiosuite plug-in on large sessions, Pro Tools gives me the spinning beachball briefly while the plug in opens, and then once the plug-in is open, it would beachball and not come out of it and I have to force quit Pro Tools. I could not trace the cause, and still have not - but the one thing in common on all my sessions is that they will open by default with VisLM2 (on my master aux) active and visible.
I discovered that if I closed VisLM2 (still active on insert) before opening plug-ins - then everything behaves as normal, I can then re-open VisLM2 after opening the audiosuite plu-in that I want to use and all works well. I have to do this every time I want to open an audiosuite plug-in otherwise Pro Tools beachballs or becomes unresponsive (can move windows around but dead otherwise) This does not happen in smaller sessions. It happened with Mac OS 10.12 as well.

I am not sure if it is actually VisLM2 that is causing the issue or if it is a graphics issue etc?

Mac OS: 10.13.3
Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.4 (and 2018.3 and 2018.2 and 2018.1)
Mac Trashcan 6.1 with D300 and 64Gb Ram
LG Widescreen 3440 x 1440
HDX1

I have trashed all prefs, reinstalled ALL my plug ins from latest installers.

I did replace nugen Vislm2 with SignumAudio Bute today and have had no freezes or any need to force quit since. The graphics seems to be smoother overall.

Cheers
stef
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 04-23-2018, 03:22 PM

I can confirm that we have had a similar issue with VisLM2 on one of our systems. Pro Tools would actually hang on launch because that plugin was corrupt.

Try moving the plugin the unused plugins folder and see if your issues still exist. Unfortunately we have no idea what cause it to get corrupted.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:40 PM

Hey guys,

I can also confirm problems with VisLM. I was getting CPU spikes when recording a voiceover and VisLM was active on master. When VisLM is disabled, the spikes are gone.
I had a conversation with Nugen support about this (a year ago), but they couldn't reproduce the problem. Since then, I'm deactivating VisLM when recording, or use iZotope Insight.

Cheers
Maik
Old 04-26-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Hey guys,

I can also confirm problems with VisLM. I was getting CPU spikes when recording a voiceover and VisLM was active on master. When VisLM is disabled, the spikes are gone.

I had a conversation with Nugen support about this (a year ago), but they couldn't reproduce the problem. Since then, I'm deactivating VisLM when recording, or use iZotope Insight.

Cheers

Maik

Don’t run it on your master. Create a bus called meters, create a send from your master, run an aux input called meters fed with meters bus, route this meters bus to a dummy bus called null (or nowhere)
You will then be happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com