How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Default edit question

Hi all.

Is it possible to select a region of a protools session across multiple tracks and export this to another session?

Why I ask is this - I usually record a 40 minute or so jam with my band. From that jam, there might be one or two songs that I think are keepers. I would normally ues the trim tool to get rid of the regions I don't want to use then proceed to mix but this takes up alot of hard drive space.

I could use bounce to disk but since I record 11 tracks at once I would have to bounce to disk 11 times in order to preserve the individual tracks!

Am I overlooking an easy solution to this problem?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Default Re: edit question

Yes, Region Group.

filosofem
Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 PM

Sorry, could you explain what you mean?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 PM

Pro Tools' Reference Guide: Region Groups, starts page 321. (There is just to much information to list).

filosofem
Old 11-15-2006, 03:09 AM

Why not just selecting the audio regions you don't like and deleting them? This will create new regions, go to the region bin and delete them (*delete* from disk, gone forever). If you want to keep the raw data just do 'save session copy' first.

Hope this helps,

easyb
Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE]
Pro Tools' Reference Guide: Region Groups, starts page 321. (There is just to much information to list).

Thanks for the input. The procedure you are referring to does work but it copies the entire audio file for any selected regions to the new session (although only the region is dispayed). In other words if the original 40 minute jam took up 3 gigs of hard drive space, the new session with the 3 minute song I want to work on will also take up 3 gigs.

I'm looking for a way to edit (shorten) the original audio files and export them to a new session.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE]
Why not just selecting the audio regions you don't like and deleting them? This will create new regions, go to the region bin and delete them (*delete* from disk, gone forever). If you want to keep the raw data just do 'save session copy' first.

Thanks but what I'm tring to do, if possible, is to shorten the original audio files not just clear out unused regions.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
it copies the entire audio file for any selected regions to the new session
Cut the By-Product and Shift click your chosen regions.

filosofem
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 PM

Cut the By-Product and Shift click your chosen regions.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying I should use the seperate at selection command to pick the region I want to use and then when I shift click on this region anything on the original audio file outside this region will be deleated from the hard drive?!?

On the other hand, if you mean cut the by-product from the audio files, how do you do this? It seems to me that a Pro Tools session lets you alter audio regions not audio files (although it
will allow you to delete an audio file).

I think I might not have been clear on my original post but my goal is to free up hard drive space. I have been recording on average 40 minute jams and I might only want to use several minutes of this material. Week after week this is starting to eat up alot of hard drive.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Are you saying I should use the seperate at selection command to pick the region I want to use and then when I shift click on this region anything on the original audio file outside this region will be deleated from the hard drive?!?
No.
Quote:
if you mean cut the by-product from the audio file, how do you do this?
Every 'Seperate' command you perform to a Whole Region File, produces 'By-Product', as shown by the Regions List. Once you have performed your 'Cuts', Shift clicking the desired regions, highlights these regions in the Regions List, as shown by the Regions List, Region Grouping, then will only group those selected regions.

Now, performing a 'Cut' function in Shuffle Mode, after the regions have been 'Seperated' condenses the selected regions, ready for 'Region Group Exporting'. Import this 'Group' straight to the Bin (Regions List) and drag the regions into the Edit window one by one in Spot Mode, performing this, presents the Spot Dialog for the function of Time Stamping, in other words, draging the regions back to their original recorded position.
Quote:
It seems to me that a Pro Tools session lets you alter audio regions not audio files
Yes and no, by performing the above technique and 'Consolidating' you have effectively altered the Audio File. By the way, making this now, a 'Whole Region File'.

filosofem