Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Pro Tools vs Reaper

This probably isn't the worst place to ask this question, or it could actually be the best.. Anyway, I've been thinking of making the switch to Reaper ever since my Annual PT Subscription lapsed and they wanted 3x the cash...so I've been stuck on version 12.4 for who knows how long.

I've also read that Reaper runs much smoother and can load more plugin instances than PT. especially when running the Acoustica Audio Aqua stuff.

Have any of you PT diehards ever tried Reaper and can make an honest comparison? I know it's gonna be a monumental pain in the ass reinstalling all my plugins as .AU files (AU is Mac and VST is windows, right?), but it might be worth it. I'm kicking myself know for only installing the AAX format of plugs.

Just curious to hear from you guys on this

Old 05-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools vs Reaper

hello

same for me.
i've buy reaper since 8 month.
and the migration is not easy.
For me reaper is a very good daw....everything (almost) is possible.
but a lot of configuration.
and long time to have a good configuration.but everything is customize.

i'm pro tools user since long long time ago (pt 5) for music and post production,and to be honnest the migration isn't easy.
but i can't paid every years for nothing...or just fix a thousand of bugs.

the reaper forum are very very full of some peaople who exchange.
the daw is very stable pc or mac .(mojave too ahahahhaha sorry...)

you can have your repear on a usb key and work everywhere with your conf.

to be honnest there are gaps (no aaf...for ex)but solution can be find.

sorry for my english.
best
Old 05-11-2019, 12:52 PM

I've used Reaper. For me the work I'd have to put on the migration to another DAW does not justify the benefits (put on top that there are always disadvantages too). Maybe for someone who's starting it doesn't matter as much but I've been using PT for over 10 years.
I love Cakewalk and even though many of the basic key commands are as close as replacing ctrl for alt and things like that it takes me hours to do what in PT I can do with my eyes closed in minutes.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:01 PM

Do you need something that is not in 12.4? If it serves your needs, there's zero reason to update(besides version jealousy)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Do you need something that is not in 12.4? If it serves your needs, there's zero reason to update(besides version jealousy)

I've been really into the Acoustica Audio Aqua plugs lately. I've read that Reaper can run more instances, and run them much smoother.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I've been really into the Acoustica Audio Aqua plugs lately. I've read that Reaper can run more instances, and run them much smoother.
Acoustica's plugins are known cpu hogs no matter the daw. You have to ask yourself is it worth the hassle to learn another daw just so you can run a bunch of cpu munching plugins? To me Acoustica plugins are hype at their worst promulgated by the denizens of Gearslutz

QAPLA!
Old 05-12-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Acoustica's plugins are known cpu hogs no matter the daw. You have to ask yourself is it worth the hassle to learn another daw just so you can run a bunch of cpu munching plugins? To me Acoustica plugins are hype at their worst promulgated by the denizens of Gearslutz

Haha. Well I definitely agree with ya on that.. all the AA stuff is insanely hyped and as trendy as it gets. I got turned onto em by a friend (I had never even heard the name at that point) and was blown away by the sound. All the personal mixes I've done while demoing the Aqua stuff sound better than the ones without.

Also, it's not like I have to uninstall PT to try out Reaper. I can have both on my computer and then decide from there.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
You also have to understand how PT and other daws handle the plugins. In the Past the Name RTAS actually suited well on how PT handles the plugin as REAL time, meaning they are not packet of information that are being sent as a bunch, like what VST plugins or AU plugins does, but every bit was process in real time. That could mean a bit more cpu hog but it was more sample accurate. Now as far as I know, the same still apples with AAX plugins. So while yes vsts and au plugins can be often loaded in superior numbers, the batch processing means that they can also behave differently compared to their aax counterparts especially when it comes time to automate the plugins settings.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I try to stay current, but 12.4 was a very stable Pro Tools.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I try to stay current, but 12.4 was a very stable Pro Tools.

I have notice 12.4 being less problematic than previous versions. I periodically check the new features when an update is released, and I probably wouldn't use most of them anyways.

I don't mix professionally, I just love music; I'm definitely a musician before engineer. I love fooling around with the stuff I've written, trying to get the best sound possible, but I just don't have the attention span to stare at a computer screen for hours on end. Probably because after a while it stops being fun n feels like a choir.