Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Multiple Midi Devices

I have an M-Audio Pro Keys 88 and also an M-Audio Axiom 49. They are both attached to my system via USB. I have each set up individually in the Midi Studio in PTLE. What I can't seem to do is get them to play separate virtual instruments at the same time. I select them as the input device on separate channels. But if I'm trying to record two VI's at one time (i.e. something from NI on the Axiom and Akoustic Piano on the Pro Keys 88) I can't seem to make that work. It doesn't seem to matter which one I have set up - I can play both and they trigger the same instrument.

I have some friends coming over tomorrow night to mess around a little and one of them is bringing his Roland V-drums. We would like to be
able to use them as the midi interface to trigger EZDrummer - but I will also have a keyboard player here that would like to track at the same time. So I will need to try and resolve my "can't get two midi controllers working at once" problem.

I've searched and haven't found anything in the manual or on the DUC that helps me out - so I posted. If I have missed a search option I apologize in advance.

Thanks.

Mbox 2 Pro,
KOMPLETE 5,
EZdrummer w/Nashville EZX

M-Audio Pro Keys 88.....M-Audio Axiom 49
UA-LA610.....AT4040.....AT4047
M-Audio BX8a Studio Monitors
Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM

I'm don't know the MIDI in/outs of your units but it would seem to me that you should use one as the MIDI interface to your computer (USB) and run the second unit into the first via standard MIDI cables. In my mind that would be the simplest solution.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply - maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I have both devices connected. I can designate either one of them as the midi contoller of choice on any instrument track. PT recognizes both controllers from my setup in Midi Studio preferences. My problem is being able to use both - at the same time - to trigger completely separate virtual instruments. That's what I can't figure out.

Mbox 2 Pro,
KOMPLETE 5,

Old 08-18-2008, 01:49 PM

I understand that you have them both connected and they work properly on their own, what I am saying is that the USB interfaces are mirroring each other and PT is "seeing" the same channels from both interfaces. By chaining them and only using one as the actual interface you would eliminate the mirroring and then be able to map your MIDI channels properly, hence have the different keyboards play different synths.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Sounds like you either have, "All" selected as the MIDI input for everything or you have Pro Tools set up to use the first selected track as the default thru instrument.

If you have "All" selected as the MIDI input, then, ummmm... All of the controllers you have hooked up will trigger whatever instrument you have set up. If you have two instrument tracks and you want controller A to control track 1, and controller B to control track 2, then you set the MIDI input of track 1 to be controller A, and the MIDI input of track 2 to be controller B.

If you have Pro Tools set up to use the first selected track as the default thru instrument (Setup->Preferences MIDI tab), you should probably set it to something else. :)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for chiming in, Spkguitar. I am unsure of how PT "sees" multiple USB MIDI interfaces. Just for my own knowledge your saying that PT will recognize multiple USB MIDI interfaces?

Heck, I'm still using the MIDI ports on the back of my 002!!!

Btw Fiddler69, follow Spk's advise on mapping your channels using either way of interfacing.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
Thanks for chiming in, Spkguitar. I am unsure of how PT "sees" multiple USB MIDI interfaces. Just for my own knowledge your saying that PT will recognize multiple USB MIDI interfaces?
Yes. Absolutely.

Any USB MIDI device that is hooked up and correctly installed in Windows should be recognized as a valid MIDI device in Pro Tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
Heck, I'm still using the MIDI ports on the back of my 002!!!
That works as well, but since there is only one of them (MIDI input), the only time you have to worry about multiple input ports is when you have another MIDI input device connected.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the info!!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM

From spkguitar:

I will give you detailed instructions again, so that you can walk through it yourself:
  1. create two stereo instrument tracks.
  2. on the first track insert your first VI (akoustik piano?).
  3. on the First track's MIDI input selector, select the Pro Keys. (chapter 10, page 166 of the Pro Tools Reference Guide... keep in mind that the instrument track's instrument view can be hidden... just like the ref guide says. )
  4. on the second track, insert your second VI (whatever you choose).
  5. on the First track's MIDI input selector, select the Axiom
That's really all there is to it. If, after doing that, you are still hearing the same instrument while playing both controllers, then you must have the default MIDI thru instrument set to the first selected MIDI track. (chapter 7, page 89). Just change it.

To spkguitar and other members:

I didn't intend to break any etiquette rules of the forums...just thought posting in the MIDI forum might be more appropriate. I appreciate your input - as I know you help lots of people on the boards (I have lurked for a LONG time). I should have just left it here as you mentioned, so I have brought it back to make things easier. Anyway, here is my continued issue with MIDI and my lack of knowledge/understanding about it. I had already read each of the recommendations you provided in your post. And I'm probably just not getting it.

Here is what I have done so far:

Setup>MIDI>MIDI Studio Setup>Create
Instrument Name = M-Audio Pro Keys 88
Manufacturer = NONE (I see no M-Audio or Avid Option in my drop down)
Model - NONE (Same reason as above)
Input Port= USB Audio Device
Output Port= USB Audio Device [Emulated]
Send Channel = 1
Recieve Channel = 1

Instrument Name = M-Audio Axiom 49
Input Port= USB Audio Device [2]
Output Port= USB Audio Device (2) [Emulated]
Send Channel = 2
Recieve Channel = 2

Now here is what I have done in MIDI Preferences:

Setup>Preferences>MIDI
Under this tab I believe the main thing I need to be concerned about is "Default Thru Instrument". If that is incorrect let me know.

I have the following options in the drop down menu: NONE, Axiom 49, Pro Keys 88, Predefined, Follows First Selected MIDI Track.

I have tested out selecting all options (except the Follows First option since you said to change it FROM that). Now usually what happens is I can't get any sound.

Here is how I set up the tracks in my testing.

Track>New>2 New Stereo Instrument Tracks in Ticks

On the tracks - I inserted Akoustik Piano on Track 1 and a Kontakt instrument on Track 2. This automatically places the VI's into the MIDI Output on each given track. On the MIDI Input I selected PK88 for Track 1 and Axiom49 for Track 2

It still won't allow me to play the piano with PK88 and Kontakt with Axiom...I have to select the track I want to play - it highlights - and then BOTH controllers control the same instrument.

On another note - I have gone back in and cleared and set up my MIDI Studio again - and now even though the Axiom is shown in the MIDI Studio....it does not show up as an option in my MIDI Input...only the PK88 shows up.

I know I'm probably missing something simple - but I don't know what it is.

Mbox 2 Pro,
KOMPLETE 5,

Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM

You're thinking too much and making things more complicated because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
Here is what I have done so far:

Instrument Name = M-Audio Pro Keys 88
Input Port= USB Audio Device
Output Port= USB Audio Device [Emulated]
Send Channel = 1
Recieve Channel = 1

Instrument Name = M-Audio Axiom 49
Input Port= USB Audio Device [2]
Output Port= USB Audio Device (2) [Emulated]
Send Channel = 2
Recieve Channel = 2
This MIDI Studio setup is not at all necessary. They are just controllers and the only benefit to setting them up in MIDI Studio setup is so that you can change the names to make them more recognizable. The controllers will work without this setup/step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
Now here is what I have done in MIDI Preferences:

Setup>Preferences>MIDI
Under this tab I believe the main thing I need to be concerned about is "Default Thru Instrument". If that is incorrect let me know.

I have the following options in the drop down menu: NONE, Axiom 49, Pro Keys 88, Predefined, Follows First Selected MIDI Track.

I have tested out selecting all options (except the Follows First option since you said to change it FROM that). Now usually what happens is I can't get any sound.
You should be selecting "NONE" for your situation.

The simple step you are missing is when "first selected MIDI track" is not selected, each track would have to be record armed to be able to produce any audio/MIDI thru.