Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Control 24 Power Supply Self Repair

I've been researching how to repair my control 24 psu and have found a lot of helpful info, but I have not resolved my issue. The problem started after a session of very basic tracking on a spoken word/broadcast project. While reviewing the recording preparing to mix, my faders stopped responding to automation on the board and I lost all monitoring in aux, main, and headphone. I have read that this is usually caused by the psu, although after checking all the fuse continuity, there were no apparent causes visible on the psu. I attempted to send the supply to Skynet, but they sent it back as it was not one of their units and had no schematics to repair it. I have seen that there is a capacitor on the Skynet made versions that C20 capacitor is usually the culprit, and is a simple fix by replacing a 4.7 microfarad 50v capacitor. On the model I have the capacitor size is 22uf 25v on C20. Has anyone made an attempt at a same repair? Any info is greatly appreciated and hopefully beneficial to those who still use the control 24.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Control 24 Power Supply Self Repair

Do you have a C|24 or Control 24? If its the latter, what does the serial number end in? I believe if it ends in an f or later ( I could be totally wrong on the letter, double check.this) then its suppose to have a different psu that had the "common issues" resolved. And I'm not sure if those were made by Skynet.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM

My Control 24 power supply model is the MC124 Serial PW0151700F. I actually stumbled upon the Skynet info and shipped it to them, only to find out that it wasn't one of their units, so they shipped it back to me unrepaired. Also I spoke with the nearest Authorized Avid Repair Shop in Atlanta and found out that the board won't qualify for the swap program they have because it's an older unit. So before ordering a new unit I wanted to see if anyone out there has experienced the ZF9 fuse blowing in an older version of the Control 24 power supply. I replaced every capacitor to its original matching spec, as I read earlier on the forum that it was possibly the c20 capacitor, but now I have no other route unless anyone has experienced a similar issue and made a successful repair. The unit consistently blows the ZF9 fuse and I have no monitoring section and no fader movement. Please help. Thank you to everyone on the forum who has supplied information to me and through other posts. Thank you Dan.TweekStudios too. I am determined to fix this thing!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Hello,

I've search the internet and sounds like I have the common Control 24 PSU issue...

The problem I have is that when I turn the unit on, the PSU is clicking non strop and some of the leds on the console are flashing something like every second or so and never boot. And with every flash there's a cracking noise through the speakers.

I live in Europe, I've sent email to Skynet USA with no reply... Does anyone know if I could test/replace the c20 capacitor myself?
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 PM

Smile Re: Control 24 Power Supply Self Repair

Brahamnesik, I have been working on mine for months, just shy of attempting to buy one from Avid. The problem is it depends on what version or "revision" you have. The earlier models have a heat sink on the power supply, which is the only way I have found that I have an earlier model. Skynet will only repair the models they used in the later introduced control 24's. Trust me, I have learned all this through trial and error. From what I understand, if you feel comfortable with your capabilities, remove the power supply and inspect to see if you can tell which "rev" you have and if it says, "Skynet" anywhere on the power supply. This will let you know what avenue to take, being purchase a new PSU from Avid, or send to Skynet for repair. Hope this helps for you and everyone else out there in our position.

Last edited by jschival67; 05-27-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Question Re: Control 24 Power Supply Self Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschival67 View Post
Brahamnesik, I have been working on mine for months, just shy of attempting to buy one from Avid. The problem is it depends on what version or "revision" you have. The earlier models have a heat sink on the power supply, which is the only way I have found that I have an earlier model. Skynet will only repair the models they used in the later introduced control 24's. Trust me, I have learned all this through trial and error. From what I understand, if you feel comfortable with your capabilities, remove the power supply and inspect to see if you can tell which "rev" you have and if it says, "Skynet" anywhere on the power supply. This will let you know what avenue to take, being purchase a new PSU from Avid, or send to Skynet for repair. Hope this helps for you and everyone else out there in our position.
jschival67, did you ever resolve your power supply issue? I ask because I am having the exact same issue as you had in this post (dead faders, monitor section dead, same non- Skynet PS, blowing fuses, different c20 cap size than new PS). I too would like to avoid the new power supply cost (but will if this is the only remedy), Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM

Hello,

Yes, I opened the desk and there is a Skynet logo. They never replied to my mail so I tried to contact their European maintenance center, no one could repair the PSU because it's a custom model.

Well, long story short I decided and tried to repair it myself and replaced the C20 capacitor. It's a 4.7 uf 50V 105° with a 63V because they didn't have the exact same specs at the store. So far so good, we'll see how it works over time.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 AM

Ok, I am in the same boat...so this C20 replacement only works if there is a Skynet Power supply ?

I looked at the power supply, it says Digidesign on several places so I guess there is not Skynet PSU ?

However I tightened the connectors and used some electronic spray...and now it seems to work again...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 PM

I don't know, I would say there's a flaw in the PSU design so it may work.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahamnesik View Post
I don't know, I would say there's a flaw in the PSU design so it may work.
Hi

We have been repairing the DGN-8200 power supply for the last 20 years and seen a lot during that time.. Yes it is a Skynet power supply but was more of a special as it starts with DGN and not SNP like the rest of the range.

More than a few things can go wrong with these units blow up, play dead, intermittent etc etc

Please contact us on Avanti Power Repairs Ltd