Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Talking New Macs Pros 12 cores coming this month! Is HD 'really' necessary anymore?

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

I honestly don't get it? I don't. My i7 never runs out of juice running all processing plugin's. If I introduce VI's, that's different depending on the VI, but Avid seriously????? Those cards are ancient!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM

Default New Macs Pros 12 cores coming this month! Is HD 'really' necessary anymore?

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

I honestly don't get it? I don't. My i7 never runs out of juice running all processing plugin's. If I introduce VI's, that's different depending on the VI, but Avid seriously????? Those cards are ancient!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Default Re: New Macs Pros 12 cores coming this month! Is HD 'really' necessary anymore?

You already answered your own question. The beauty of LE and HD are that each person can choose the proper system for his/her needs. It sounds like you don't need HD. It has nothing to do with quad core, octa core or 12 core.

For me - as of today, you would have to pry my HD rig out of my cold, dead hands. LE and Native would need some serious work to satisfy my daily needs. I HAVE to have HD.

But a 12 core COMBINED with my HD6 is a lovely thought! Serious power....

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Default Re: New Macs Pros 12 cores coming this month! Is HD 'really' necessary anymore?

+1
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM

HD has nothing to do with power anymore. Passed that a few years back. HD is about stability and flexibility. I like to describe it as transparent in the process. With HD you never think about what you can and can't do, it just never gets in your way.

It's funny, tonight I was going through some old recordings I'd done years ago on ADAT's. I paid 2800 each for 3 ADAT's about 11 years ago and thought I was getting so much. Today, for an HD2 with a strong MacPro for 8500 all in for that, run most plugs in RTAS, you're simply not likely to ever need to upgrade ever again, exception being heavy VI music, of which I'd say avoid HD for that style anyway.

Want a Les Paul, don't buy an Ephiphone, no matter what you do to it, it will never be a Les Paul. The average guy at home or recording their band for fun, can get by with so much less than HD. But for serious folks and old farts like me who've tried just about everything, get what you know you want andt could stop trying to make everything do what only what you want will do.

That could be a les Paul, fender strat, prs, shur, hammer, Tom Anderson, mustang GT or even a Corvette. It's all the same philosophically.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Avid

As Barry said - there's a lot more to HD than just the ability to process plug-ins. Automation modes, support for large format control surfaces, extensive video support, additional editing tools/modes, additional IO and so on are what sets HD apart from LE.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
As Barry said - there's a lot more to HD than just the ability to process plug-ins. Automation modes, support for large format control surfaces, extensive video support, additional editing tools/modes, additional IO and so on are what sets HD apart from LE.
but it's all coding choices, nothing about a DSP chip makes any of those things HD exclusive

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
but it's all coding choices, nothing about a DSP chip makes any of those things HD exclusive
Well, yes and no. Currently some of those 'coding choices' require an HD chip for the mix engine, which handles automation and some of the other features in HD.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Umm, do you need a $1000-$2000 card to do that, I'm pretty sure intel's chips passed the DSP chips on the Accel cards awhile ago in processing power.

My point is like Craig is saying, is that Avid very well could hire some better programmers and give all Pro Tool users these features all the while gaining back a huge portion of the market share. Or... Avid could still believe that we believe that the chips on the cards are faster and provide stability and features.

Do any of the other DAW's need cards to run all the features they have?

I'm sorry if you guys at Avid live in a box, but if you would just listen you would know these cards are unnecessary....12 cores unnecessary.

I don't mean to be a jerk, I really don't I just say things how they are.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Well, yes and no. Currently some of those 'coding choices' require an HD chip for the mix engine, which handles automation and some of the other features in HD.
Still, imho it would be a wiser choice if le -or let's call it native- pro tools will get pro features. That could wipe the floor with other apps.
If this attitude (from Avid) will last much longer, I think many will leave pro tools behind.