How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
sunburst is in the lab cookin' XP PRO 64bit on his i7 with his 002!!!! i'm sure he'll be postin' when he clears the smoke!!! but he has it smokin' stay dialed in!!! hell he might even have it loaded up with all 12g of his ram!!!!

its working good, but it is slow in the reaction time. you launch pro tools...wait.....a few other things as well. it is not "snappy" sure it has something todo with 32 bit apps working in and not optimized for a 64 bit os. i have yet to get the guts to track a session with it, but am using it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Anyone struggling with HDMI audio built into Radeon Video Card? I have the Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 512 MB. No option to disable onboard audio. Have to reinstall PT8 drivers everytime I restart, MBox 2 Pro blinks at me after every restart until i run the PT8 driver install again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortronica View Post
Anyone struggling with HDMI audio built into Radeon Video Card? I have the Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 512 MB. No option to disable onboard audio. Have to reinstall PT8 drivers everytime I restart, MBox 2 Pro blinks at me after every restart until i run the PT8 driver install again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

i know nothing about the card, but have you tried going into the device manager and uninstall the divers for only the audio part of the card there?

do not understand why you have to reinstall the drivers everytime. after you install it have you gone into the control panel to the sounds tab and select no sound card in there to troubleshoot?

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 03-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i know nothing about the card, but have you tried going into the device manager and uninstall the divers for only the audio part of the card there?

do not understand why you have to reinstall the drivers everytime. after you install it have you gone into the control panel to the sounds tab and select no sound card in there to troubleshoot?
Well, when I uninstall the video card's audio controller, the next time I restart windows, it autodetects the new hardware again (video card's audio controller), and I'm back where I started. I've tried disabling the audio controller in device mgr, but it results in MBOX drivers not getting loaded properly; somehow windows still likes to reference the video card. Usually you would solve this issue by "disabling" the audio device in BIOS or otherwise, but these video cards don't provide a way to do it that I can find. I've seen a ton of builds on this thread using similar cards, wondering how they deal with this?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM

THIS BUILD WORKS FLAWLESSLY WITH PT8!!!

So here is what i bought and assembled:

- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

- LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L

- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

- ZALMAN ZM-CS4A Socket 1366 Clip Support Kit for CNPS9500/9700

- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

- EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

- EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

- COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

- CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

- Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

- CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

All from NewEgg.com
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitalever View Post

So here is what i bought and assembled:

- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

- LG Black Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive SATA Model GGW-H20L

- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

- ZALMAN ZM-CS4A Socket 1366 Clip Support Kit for CNPS9500/9700

- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

- EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

- EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

- COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

- CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9

- Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

- CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

All from NewEgg.com
pls give us some dverb results and congrats!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-05-2009, 09:02 PM

when you say post results........what exactly do you want me to do?? I use dverb a lot and i have had no problems. Can you be more specific as to what you me to post??
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
when you say post results........what exactly do you want me to do?? I use dverb a lot and i have had no problems. Can you be more specific as to what you me to post??
you never say what you are using for an interface either. considering you have vista 64 bit???? it would have to be a usb interface i believe??? but here is the test. you are using le and not mpowered???

Start the computer. Create a brand new 24bit/48k Session on your audio drive for the Dverb test. Open up the system usage window in PT. Then, go to Setup > Playback Engine... > and make sure the RTAS engine: Ignore Errors During Playback/Record(may cause clicks and pops) is NOT checked. Also, Go to your buffer setting and select 1024(CPU usage must be 95% or highest possible). Set up your time line ruler for Min:Secs. You want to be in grid mode and set up your grid for Min:Secs and 1 second. Create one mono audio track. Take the selector tool, put it on the 5 minute mark in your audio track and drag this to the start of your session. You will now have 5 minutes selected in this track. Go to AudioSuite > Other > Signal Generator and click on the "process" but. You should now see a 5 minute test tone. Create another audio track and insert 5 Dverbs in all the inserts. Record arm the Dverb track. Click on the track name so it is high lighted white, and hit shift+alt+D then hit enter. Record arm the new track and continue this pattern. You want to be able to record WITHOUT THE TEST TONE BREAKING UP!! Keep adding Dverbs and recording. If the test tone starts to breakup, then delete some Dverbs until you can hear a SOLID TEST TONE for 5 MINUTES. This is VERY VERY important. The test tone has to be 100% solid!!!

you also went out on a limb on the motherboard. so this could be interesting to have another board spec. could you post a link to your board and video card. 64 bit????

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
just caught your other post saying your using an mbox 1

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Gongrats on the build and your excitement for it! These new i7's are definitely the way to go for Pro Tools Native rigs and many of us are very enthusiastic about it.

The only thing a wee bit worrisome is, "How do you know?". Can I spend some hard earned money, match your spec 1 for 1 and be able to run your computer build 100% rock solid stable for 10-14 hours a day in my studio flawlessly?

How long have you had the rig up and running? Is it a hobby/home system or does it operate full time using PT in a working studio? Is it and editing station or main system? What kind of productions are you doing on it? Large mixes? Recording all 18 I/O simultaneously? Surround? What have your benchmarks shown? What Pro Tools hardware are you using?

The reason I bring this up is because new builders are going to weed through this thread, look at comments, results and data, and start building duplicate systems based on what we say and post. In the past we had some problems in this area. There was a time when many people built the 3JDamon Opteron Quad back in the day because of his 500+ Dverb count hoping they would get the same performance. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a bug that he himself found in his system many many months later. The thing is, people spent their hard earned money building a duplicate system only to find out, with disappointment, that they couldn't get the same posted performance and gains. This also happened to a more extreme level back during our AMD Barton 2500 era builds many years ago.

The original Quad thread from 3 years ago had only 1 working spec. That spec was thoroughly tested for almost 4 months before it was posted. A few went on the bleeding edge and altered it. Some had success with the alterations while others didn't and had to make changes back to the original spec in order to get the rock solid performance that was originally posted. I myself wont even post a spec until I tested it full time for many months in a studio. I know people will spend their hard earned money and copy the systems I post because many know I use PT and these computers for my full time day job, so, I feel I'm responsible for posting accurate benchmarks, comments and data.

In my opinion, we as a community here have a responsibility for posting accurate info and data to our fellow future builders. There are only 2 builds in this thread that I know of getting full time real world studio use and these two builds are only 1 month old. The kinks are still be sorted out and they are definitely not flawless yet. This first month of i7 builds is still very much the bleeding edge "beta" cycle so to speak until we refine them down to a fine art like the other two Quad threads from years gone by.

If we're going to post generalities like "flawlessly" or "rock solid stable" etc, we're gonna have to back that up with accurate data for future builders who are going to copy our specs one for one and spend their hard earned cash in these tough economic times.

These i7's are absolutely amazing so far and very exciting for PT Native systems. It's hard not to be very enthusiastic about them as they have been demonstrating jaw dropping results. We as new builders though do need to keep in mind that future builders are gonna spend alot of cash copying our systems based on the data and info that we post here. I myself don't want to see another 3J Quad or AMD Barton 2500 episode where individuals built identical systems and didn't get the results that were originally raved about.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit