Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Discovery Global Tech Spec vers 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmyfroggy View Post
Sorry, no link, but here are the main audio points..

The full mix tracks of the program must have an average loudness level of -24 LKFS/LUFS (plus or minus one dB), as measured using a meter compliant with ITU-R BS.1770-1. If the program has multiple segments, each segment must have an average loudness level of -24 LKFS/LUFS (plus or minus one dB.)
The program must also have consistent loudness levels. Short term loudness levels must not rise more than four dB above or four dB below the average loudness level of the program or program segment.
Short term loudness levels are derived using a continuous sliding window three seconds in duration, as specified in EBU Tech 3341. The short term loudness level for each second is derived by calculating the average loudness level of the past three seconds, as measured using a meter compliant with ITU-R BS.1770-1.
Discovery will not use “dialogue intelligent” meters when evaluating the loudness levels of programs. While speech remains the “anchor element” of Discovery programming (see 2.5.1), Discovery will measure the loudness level of the entire program, not only the sections containing speech.

The peak audio levels on any track in a program must never rise above -2 dBFS, when measured using a True Peak meter compliant with ITU-R BS.1770-1. Production partners should only use audio peak levels above -6 dBFS in small areas of the program and only when needed for impact or emphasis in the audio mix. While digital delivery of television signals allows for high peak levels, older analog systems cannot allow peak levels above -10 dBFS. These older analog systems may use audio limiting to lower peak levels. To avoid the impact of excessive peak limiting production partners should use audio with high peak levels sparingly.
+ and - 4 re average? Seems like kind of a narrow window. For a film with a lot of space and quiet in it and without a narrator chewing your ear all the time this would be kind of a silly way to mix. It will be interesting how films like that will do re this spec

philo
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM

I'm just glad almost evey network now is complying to the 1770 spec. No more mixing at different leveled for different networks. 1770 is pure genius for this.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
do you have a link?

cheers
I'll check if those documents are something I can release or if only content providers have access through the producer portal. If yes, I'll set up a link to it.

Digital Media Engineer
Discovery Communications
http://corporate.discovery.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vision View Post
I'll check if those documents are something I can release or if only content providers have access through the producer portal. If yes, I'll set up a link to it.
Thank you, I apologise if I have posted info that is not yet intended for open review and discussion.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Has anyone had any luck mixing to short-term +/-4. I'm finding it impossible during quieter sections with atmos only!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewton View Post
Has anyone had any luck mixing to short-term +/-4. I'm finding it impossible during quieter sections with atmos only!
Are you mixing for real to a spec that demands this, or are you just testing it out?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 AM

Looks like the spec for Australian TV.
I've abandoned trying to let things go to -2 true peak over here in Aus. The analog limiters are way too savage.
Does 1770-1 use gating or did that come in with revision 2?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewton View Post
I'm doing 2 Discovery shows at the moment and am finding this part of the spec most frustrating. I'm Constantly having to massage the levels when heading into a quiet section (i.e. in between items) so not to drop the average level below -28. Pauses in dialog or naturally quiet sections are just impossible. I'm wondering how serious these specs are taken and how other people are managing them....
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Anyone sent anything to DCI yet below the -4bd short term and had it fail?

Got a whole series coming up using this spec and the -4bd on the short term seems impossible in places.